I walk from my apt to a bus stop, then from where the bus lets me off to my building, so, about 3/4 mile each direction. The benefits of wearing my $9 flip flops to and from work (then changing into my heels when I get here) include:
  • cooler feet in my 80+ degree walk in
  • more comfortable walk in (and a faster walk home when its near 100)
  • sparing my more expensive heels wear and tear
  • saving me a trip to the shoe hospital for replacement heels after they wear down from walking on concrete
  • getting to show off my various and assorted foot blisters and callouses
The cons (that I only discovered just today) however include:
  • getting fire ant bites on my toes :x
  • nearly wiping out about 6 different times as I hydroplane on the sidewalks they spray clean in the morning
go ahead. mock.

I was just thinking about getting SPD compatible sandals for the rainy rides to work. It's not like you can keep your feet dry, so why not get shoes that will dry out more quickly?

I think we're on to something.

Ok. You can get better flip-flops that are more comfortable and have more traction. I like Merrels and Reefs (some of the Reefs even come with a bottle opener on the bottom of the shoe!). Both brand have good arch support and are way comfortable. I would be lost without my flip flops . They are about all that fit me these days, anyway.

Kristin, why exactly do you need a bottle opener on the bottom of your shoe?

I don't know. I didn't even know it was there until a friend of ours pointed it out. As I really don't drink beer as a rule, I guess I can use it for bottled sodas?
Comfortable shoes, however.

I blew out my flip flop, stepped on a pop top................................

I actually have a pair of reef slaps (not the bottle opener kind) that I LOVE and sometimes wear into work. Today's flip flops were the basic foam/rubber kind, but the wedge ones from J crew. Here's the dumb part: the jcrew ones are black, I'm wearing a black skirt today. The reefs are green so I chose.... I'm such a dork

Benefits?

Airport screening!!

I gotta get me some of those!

If I may whine some more, my entire foot is swollen today, and bruised from where it swelled up yesterday in my tight heels. I had to get out nearly every pair of shoes I own this morning before I found one that would go on my ant bitten allergic huge club foot. :x The pair I'm wearing is the last semi-work appropriate pair before I was going to just bag it and wear running shoes. stupid ant. oooowwwwwwwww!! :x /wendy whiner For those interested in the Reefs, I adore mine! Cushioned, arch support, soft straps that don't rub...I think I could run in them!