Lately, I've seen this Argan oil mentioned left, right and center as some kind of magical skin oil that's great in the place of moisturizer, heals minor blemishes, gives you soft skin, etc, etc. Also good for the hair apparently.

Is this all a blown up hype about a product that is really nothing special or is Argan oil really something unique in the skincare world?

Have you tried Argan oil by any chance and can you tell me if it is reallt that great for the skin and you would advise me to use it, or it's just a heap of hot air?

Thanks.

Yeah, yeah, I can! Actually, I really really like argan oil! I have been using it on and off for a few years already and the oil is soaked up by your skin straight away and it doesn't feel greasy unlike almond oil for example. What it does for my face is it make it feel soft and like velvet. And it is a lot cheaper than using a moisturizer. I don't know if it helps with acne and blemishes really because I don't have any of that but my complexion looks younger than my years so I am happy.

I find the above comment funny coming from someone who has been using Argan oil for years :). Indeed Argan oil has VERY healing properties and reduces skin rashes, heals bug bites faster, even helps heal scars. This is due to its many beneficial vitamins, including vitamin E and A, then it has Omega 3 fatty acids, and much more than that as well. Argan oil does benefit people with acne as well as those who suffer from dry skin. In short, though it may not be great for everyone in practice it does have proven benefits and is worth trying.

Many people do use argan oil instead of a moisturizer, but you do not have to go that way. Rather, you can use argan oil as a cleanser and even as part of an exfoliator with sugar as well. Or as a serum under your moisturizer, if you have very dry skin. Personally I sometimes use some instead of a night cream. Argan oil has sebum regulating properties so is good for acne, but is also beyond excellent for severely dry skin and I tried it as someone who has rosacea because I heard good things.

I do not like argan oil as a moisturizer all the time, but using it as a night hydrator is working well.

I have actually read the claims, thanks dear, but even natural products come with their fair share of gratuitous marketing. Don't believe everything you read, especially if you cannot speak from personal experience. You know, it's great if oils and stuff have all those vitamins in them but you do have to ask how many of those objectively really get absorbed into the skin. I always think nutrition is as important or more important compared to what you actually put on your skin. With things like acne, sure what you put on your skin matters but I am really not sure argan oil would do the trick.

Pickle

Celebrity

Well, having used a wide range of natural oils for skincare myself, including blackseed oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil, lanseed oil, and yes, also argan oil, I can tell you that I quite like it. Coconut oil has some special properties that make some people love it and others loathe it (some get dry skin from it), but other than that, I have personally found all these oils to be more or less the same. I like argan oil just fine. I do not like it more or less than jojoba oil. I like it better than St John's oil because of the smell of that. But all in all, they all do the same. They are absorbed well as already stated and do moisturize your skin. Great? Absolutely? But is one oil really all that superior to another? No, not really.

Rosie

Hello

I've read on the web several times about Argan oil as a suggestion to remedy dry skin. Now I am thinking, perhaps to give this a try it would be a good thing but I am confused. I have only used like moisture creams just from the store and oil on your skin, does it not make your skin more oily and leads to pimples? If it does cause pimples, I do not want those.

If you are using argan oil what is your skin like? What adverse reactions did it give you? How long to get adjusted and how much are you putting on your skin?

No. Despite a whole army shouting, seemingly, that argan oil is light and hydrating enough to use on the skin every day in lieu of a moisturizing day cream, and despite it popping up in stores everywhere and anywhere, argan oil makes my skin look shiny and oily and does not absorb well. I do not like the smell of it either.

So yes, I have it and use it on my body not my face sometimes, and for that it is quite nice, but instead of a moisturizer? Not for me, maybe for others.

I am with you I'm afraid. I have loads of tattoos and that stuff needs maintenance. For example, tattoos look a lot fresher and more vibrant if you keep the area shaved (after full healing duh). Also, they stay vibrant for a lot longer if you moisturise them regularly. While my artist sometimes gives me special creams meant for "feeding" tattoos, I don't always have it and really keep that for special occasions when I go out and want to look my bes when I do have it. So I've been trying argan oil for this purpose and while it doesn't work as well as the tattoo creams it does quite a nice job I gotta say. For my face though? Disaster! My face feels oily and sticky and as much as I'd like to love this stuff for the face I just can't.

I am wondering if anyone here has perhaps used argan oil to implement the oil cleansing method? I am interested because argan oil is not comedonegenic, Though the oil cleansing method is meant to leave your skin squeaky clean, I doubt that the oil you are using does not have at least some moisturizing powers that stick after you wash the whole thing off, and the feeling of stickiness and oiliness that some are complaining of with argan oil might be negated entirely.

This is something I have read a bit about recently and I would like to hear your experiences.