This post is an extension of the

What are the symptoms of turrets syndrome? thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

My boyfriend does this thing with his jaw, almost like a yawn then he stops himself. He says it feels like he has to yawn in his forehead area. He does it around 30 times a day, more when he is stressed. He has been doing it since he was in like 3rd or 4th grade. He says its like 90% uncontrollable. He feels like he Has to do a certain amount everyday(no specific number). He can semi control them( like waiting to do it until he is alone or thinks no one is looking) He says he also sometimes has the urge to scream and hit something but can always stop that urge. Other then those two thing he doesn't do anything else(like no other tics that I know of) We are trying to figure out what he has and this seems like the only thing, but most of what I read says people have multiple tics. He only has one and has always only have one. Any advice?

hi im 13 ive been having tics for years now, as long as i can remember, but its only last Monday(3 days ago) that i got one in my head where i have to shake it really quickly like im saying no, i also have started swearing, this one is bad because i have 3 younger brothers and sisters and two of them are under 5 years old and ive had them say to me 'what did you say'. but the strange thing is that when im in school i don't swear too much but i shake my head a lot but when im at home i don't shake my as much but i swear a lot, sometimes i have to bute myself to muffle the sound or to stop it. my mum also said that if you have turrets you can have problems with sleep, which i have had for years. i am just waiting now to see a doctor.
ill keep updating in this forum when i get more news

My boyfriend has this twitch. It's in his face his movements, and his shoulders and arms. His eyebrows move and sometimes but not always he twitches and says something. He gets angry very easily and out of nowhere his voice will get louder. He also punches things when he gets too frustrated or mad at something. I dont know what this is and I don't know what to do. Can someone answer what this could be?

I have some of these same symptoms. They compound after a stressful day or if I have been trying to supress the "tics" for extended periods. Mine are jaw and shoulder movements. They are almost impossible to control. It is similar to blinking. Try not to blink for several seconds and then at the moment you need to blink try holding out for 10 more seconds. That is the feeling of the urge to make "tics". It is almost painful not to. Mine started when I was young (8-9) but I outgrew them by age 12 or so. Then after a car wreck 6 years ago they returned then went away again a year later. After I had gall-bladder surgery, they came back with a vengence. I go in today for an appointment with a neurologist, but so far my best luck has been with chiropractic care and taking some calcium sulfate.

I have some of these same symptoms. They compound after a stressful day or if I have been trying to supress the "tics" for extended periods. Mine are jaw and shoulder movements. They are almost impossible to control. It is similar to blinking. Try not to blink for several seconds and then at the moment you need to blink try holding out for 10 more seconds. That is the feeling of the urge to make "tics". It is almost painful not to. Mine started when I was young (8-9) but I outgrew them by age 12 or so. Then after a car wreck 6 years ago they returned then went away again a year later. After I had gall-bladder surgery, they came back with a vengence. I go in today for an appointment with a neurologist, but so far my best luck has been with chiropractic care and taking some calcium supliments.

I was diagnosed with what is called, "Habit Spasms" Lots of info online about this. Many people have them come on or present more vigorously when stressed or anxious. Just FYI

My boyfriend thinks I have turrets, I always try to laugh it off though knowing that turrets is much more serious than what I'm doing. I have been diagnosed with Paranoid Schizophrenia 3 times so that is official, but the doctors have a hard time telling me what's going on BECAUSE they think I'm crazy! I went to court when I was 15 years old for a burglary etc. etc. and the officer talking to the judge said that I have been diagnosed with over 100 different things?!? It has scared me ever since then, like when I might snap or something! I'm 18 years old, female, and I guess completely nuts :S But really I do a great job of balancing myself out, either though I have the following symptoms:

- when I go into public places I get frustrated, feel like people are touching me or that they are too close, so I end screaming at them explosively. It's not really cussing most of the time, but I can't do anything or say anything but scream!

- when I do cuss or swear, I'm just SO angry! This is why, for instance, I do not do it at a job interview. But if I get angry it's an explosive string of nervous swear words my friends have trouble not laughing at..so I laugh, too.

- I have awful mood swings, and usually take it out on objects and have a minor dependency on alcohol when I'm not 'level.' I usually have to urge to hurt people and find myself saying "I just want to beat them a little!" I get REALLY hateful when trying to pick fights when I feel this way and can't seem to control that either..

- I bite my fingernails CONSTANTLY to the point that my boyfriend gets mad. I do it when I'm feeling nervous or not, because I usually am always nervous. We will sit and watch cartoons and I will have no idea I've been chewing on my thumb for an hour. It's like zoning out, and I do it all the time whether at work or at home. I pick scabs off even when it hurts and bleeds, as well, and have a problem picking at myself like even my nose, ears, especially things that puss from earring holes. I smoke cigarettes, and this is when I get my brake from twitches like these.

- Obsessive cleaning is becoming a problem now that I am a bit older. I just can't stop! I want everything to be perfect all the time, especially in front of other people. I hate cleaning, but somehow seem to love to do it. It's weird.

- I have a personality disorder of some kind where I forget the faces of people I once knew a minute ago, I do not know if this is related but my boyfriend insists it is. It has only happened 3 times in 2009 (I have to count for my doctor) and getting better. It lasts about 30 minutes and has been happening ever since I could walk/talk. I have a system that makes these unnoticeable to the untrained eye, though.

- When I write, no matter how much it doesn't matter that people read it, if it's not completed from start to finish then I have an attack and dash to cover it up and will loose my whole train of thought so others can't look.

- and finally, I have panic/anxiety attacks so bad I can't breath. I can't ever bring myself to ask someone for help for anything, so when I really HAVE to is when I get the worst attacks. I can't make out words, I get dizzy, and stop breathing.

I am probably forgetting some other things I don't realize I do unless my boyfriend helps me out, but this what has become a problem for me and why he thinks I have turrets. I'm still looking for answers, but like I said, doctor's are never upfront with me because they are afraid of what I might do.I just take the meds and hope they'll help. I hope someone can help me self-diagnose these symptoms! The following is what doctors have told me that I DO have:

-Paranoid Schizophrenia
-Narcissism
-Anxiety Disorder
-Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
-OCD
-Manic Depressive
-Insomnia
-Extreme Explosive Disorder

i have been diegnost sence i was in first grade and i had a grate doc. I have learnd a lot about turrets and I have Introdust and explaind it in 5 schools. And to the best of my abillity 1000 people know about the disonder. But i still have much to learn. i need to know if aderall,
vocalin, strutara, and clonadin rilly solw the tics down. becues I no longe sufer from the tics i have made a relacaion teckneec to cope with the disorder. long deep brething and a good state of mind will keape you callm and keep the tics at bay.

Is it possible I have turrets?
I just turned 21, When I was a kid I was diagnosed with both ADHA, and dyslexia. I was too poor to get proper treatment, I never saw a doctor after the I was diagnosed. People around me say it very obvious that I have ADHD, and I am very familiar With dyslexia and how it affects me but I have noticed recently that I there was something else wrong I was not sure what but I am not normal. I thought i might be crazy or schizophrenic or something. So i looked up common symptoms of disorders and I was worried about what i found. Ever sense I was a little kid I would get these cold shiver through my back, but i would not just shiver I would have this ALMOST uncontrollable urge to quickly jerk my whole body back and further real quick and as I do this I kinda scream, not really a scream but a high pitched little yelp kinda like i'm scared. it always freaked people out i would just say i was cold. Also get these weird gestures that i do, when i was in middle school i used to take my hands and one by one flatten out my **** constantly, when i got nervous or stressed i would rube my stomach, making my shirt flat. then I got in to this hand stretching thing were i would just completely stretch out my hand. anyways i am always having these "little moments" some times they change somethings they stop and never comeback. WTF..... does anyone have any ideas?

Oh I almost forgot, this is the weirdest part. I have problems controlling what i say, not so much as controlling what is say but more i just blurt **** out sometimes with out thinking about it, but the really weird part is I say one thing in particular that is alarming, every now and then I just blurt out I was wanna F**K a an animal. like a sheep. So I will just say "Hey I wanna **** a sheep." I don't think about it and i don't mean it i just say it. I don't know what that is but its weird. also if i have strong feeling about something and i'm thinking hard about it and some one talks to me i will blurt out the next thought in my head, with out thinking about it and i can't control it, it just happens. What should I do, is this normal?

Im not sure if I have turrets but it started like last year.. I ust to get this muscle spasm of sorts that I would like hit or punch myself . Now I have this tick were ilike do this thing were I raise my shoulder and tilt my head together and when im done I am compelled to say turrets:-@

i would suggest that anyone affected by turrets cheques all foods + medicines they use for MALTODEXTRIN. If you are allergic to MALTODEXTRIN you can have very severe symptoms, joint pain, excruciating headaches, swollen tissue, weeping eyes, dry eyes, swelling of eyelids, etc, etc,
It would not supprise me if people with turrets are alergic to MALTODEXTRIN,
It is in lots of food and medecine.
it can be found in bread, noodles, salad dressing, licorice, bran vinegar chips, bottle sauces, calcium tablets, etc. etc.
you have to read all ingredients in everything, also, get back to cooking natural foods, and stay off rubbish quick foods.
I am not a medical person, but my husband suffered badly from MALTODEXTRIN.

aha my "turrets" had in deed gone improved from the 5 months but i will check on the maltodextrin thing....i only have weird muscle spasms now every so offten