I heard about the physiological benefits of increasing my training mileage. But, can I increase my mileage without breaking down through injury or overtraining? I hope that I can swing the odds in my favor. Could you help me to safely increase my mileage to improve my racing performances and overall health?

First, start slowly. Do not increase your mileage for more than 10 a week. Even 5 a week is a good progress and definitely safer one. Dont increase the mileage week after week. After you increase a distance, stay with in for a week before you go up again. When increasing the distances it helps to reduce the total intensity of your training at the same time. Thus you can increase your volume of training without putting too much stress on your body. You can then return the intensity to its previous level before going up with the mileage again. You have to take care that you run on soft surfaces to avoid injuries and prevent overuse of the body. Another thing, stay off the speed work at this point. Performing the intervals at this stage would mean too much intensity. Leave them for the time when you reach the stable distance and only after a good rest.