Id like to run some 5K's and even longer, but Im not sure if I can build enough endurance to do so. At the moment I lift weights 3 times a week and do one or two running sessions. I get aches from time to time. Are these goals unrealistic on this training regime? My primary goal is to build muscle and endurance, not to become a marathon runner.

You didnt mention your current running distances but I assume that you are capable of running 2-3 miles, especially because you are lifting weights and probably have more than enough muscle mass to perform this task. Since your primary goal is to build muscle mass then I suggest you do not increase the number of your running days. First you have to know that when you are building muscle mass you have to avoid a lot of other exhausting activities like 5ks or 10ks. I suggest that you keep doing as up to now. When you switch to definition part of your weight training then I suggest you go for the 5 km run. You have to gradually and very slowly increase the distance you run. You may run 4 times a week and longer run should be followed by shorter distance race and slower pace next time. Then again you can strive to go a little bit farther the run after that. So you will be going up and down with the distance and intensity but each up will have to conquer a new territory, so to speak. You have to increase the distance on up days. You will be running 5ks in a very short time. I feel that you will be planning 10 ks after that.