Hi everyone,

As some of you have already known, I've been making plans for a spring/summer training schedule in preparation for a fall racing season which includes a variety of distances including a couple of 10ks, some XC races, and 2 halfs. I'm planning to establish a base mileage of about 55-60 mpw (by the end of the base training stage) before adding more quality speedwork sessions in. Currently I'm comfortably maintaining 40-45 mpw (highest mileage so far is 46 miles) with one day of speedwork and a weekend long run. I want to add one more speed session into the week after this one (in preparation for spring races) and hopefully get up to 50 mpw in 2 week's time. Is building base mileage from 40 mpw to 60 mpw (with periodization accounted for) in 12 weeks abit too much or is it safe enough? Any advice? I don't have the time right now to post more details of my training plan but I will do so at a later time.

If you had said 40mpw to 60mpw in 3 weeks, then I might have said "too ambitious", but 12 weeks more than adequate. Heck, carve it down to 8 weeks and get yourself an extra month at the 60mpw level. I think you'll be pleased with the results.

The only caveat I'll throw out is to not bite off more than one training change at a time. So if you're going to be increasing your mileage, this isn't the time to add the additional speedwork. Your legs will be getting toasted from those extra miles and adding the speedwork is going to be less beneficial than if you waited until your mileage plateaued out and then focused on speed.

So my recommends.. crank it up quicker and then add that second speed session to really key on intensity as you point toward those autumn races.

If you had said 40mpw to 60mpw in 3 weeks, then I might have said "too ambitious", but 12 weeks more than adequate. Heck, carve it down to 8 weeks and get yourself an extra month at the 60mpw level. I think you'll be pleased with the results. The only caveat I'll throw out is to not bite off more than one training change at a time. So if you're going to be increasing your mileage, this isn't the time to add the additional speedwork. Your legs will be getting toasted from those extra miles and adding the speedwork is going to be less beneficial than if you waited until your mileage plateaued out and then focused on speed. So my recommends.. crank it up quicker and then add that second speed session to really key on intensity as you point toward those autumn races.
What he said!