I am in the millitary and I have to run a 13 min two mile to get maximum points which hasnt been a problem in the past. My problem is I have been running much longer distances, I just ran a half Marathon last month but I find my two mile time heading the wrong direction because I am getting used to longer slower runs. Any good recommendations to balance the two.

PS thanks to everyone who welcomed me to the sight, I have internet now so hopefully I will post more often

Whats up Gdogg? Hows Chicago? Go Bears!

Markos are you up for the miricale half in Sioux Falls in sept?

probably more interval training.

400s and 800s

You said it with balancing the two. Keep your weekly long run and replace one of the higher intensity workouts (one of your hard days, whether it's a longer time that you run or just a faster pace) with a track workout. If there's not a defined day for longer runs, just be sure that there's a rest/easy day between the track and long run. 400s and 800s sound good, try some ladders to mix it up too. Or run up hills.

Long run - endurance
track workout - speed

One of each a week and you should be well on your way to balance.

You have a good base now with the longer distance training. You will find that the increased endurance work will actually help your 2 mile time. (there is some physiology behind it) Now just switch focus to higher intensity stuff such as intervals...maintain your weekly long runs, but just drop the high volume you've been doing to emphasize on the hard workouts