I need help, I am always under the a stress, and recently I found out that my blood pressure is higher that it was. I feel tightness in the chest, and I am losing my breath occasionally. I am afraid if this continues like this that I am going to get ill. I don’t know how to relax. Please help me!

Hey I know what you mean. You are losing your breath and feel tightness in a chest because of the stress .Same thing happened to me. When we are under the stress we change our breathing pattern. That kind of irregular breathing can prolong feelings of anxiety, chest tightness, headaches…I started practicing Yoga. Many holistic practitioners believe that the breath is the link between the physical body and ethereal mind. I learned how to relax and launch stress out side my body. I recommend you Yoga or Tai chi.

Yesterday I wound up in the hospital with breathing trouble and chest pain. This has never happened to me before, and I have yet to discover the cause, but I attribute the fact that it didn't get worse (as in I managed to stop myself from hyperventilating, which my body badly wanted to do) to years of martial arts training (primarily karate and tai chi), which among other things really teach you how to control your breath. Sofie is correct, yoga and tai chi are excellent for this.

If the "meditative" route doesn't appeal to you you might also try karate or another art such as kung fu that is more cardio intense. These are fantastic for destressing, getting fit, improving focus and concentration, and learning to keep the breath (and your racing mind) under control. I personally practice a style of karate called Goju Ryu, a defining feature of which is its use of breath control in the techniques.

Since I began training in the martial arts 4 years ago my once chronic depression and generally angry personality have improved greatly, and when I do find myself slipping back into old habits and thought patterns I am able to stop and control myself with increasing ease (and medication-free) as the years pass. Speaking from personal experience I would strongly recommend to anyone who is finding themselves unhappy in any respect to give this sort of training a try. Any age can benefit from this kind of training, and it is not at all strange to begin it in middle age or beyond.

Any sort of workout that includes a meditative aspect can be effective and there are many options - yoga, tai chi, karate, and kung fu are among the most popular, but there are many many more. Choice is a matter of personal preference and personality, and I would strongly advise against taking the advice of someone who denounces this or that art as inferior to another for this reason - it is not a choice someone else can make for you, but if you know any practitioners do seek their insight. Do some research to find what suits you, and don't be discouraged if you are wrong...try something else. Many schools offer free intro classes and fees per class/week/month etc. so you can try with minimal commitment. Follow your instinct as well. Don't feel pressured to sign up if you don't feel comfortable in a particular school, try somewhere else instead.

i know how you feel, i am going throught the same thing, ended up in hospital hyperventilation

pain across chest,, im only 35!

gunna try to relax more -- if anybody knows ho reply to this post

ps you are not alone!

kelsy wrote:

[

quote]
Please advise me, I feel so bad, my blood presssure is very high and I am under medical help. The Dr. increased my blood pressure meds, but the shortness of breath is still in a constant state, I am very tired and scared and the tightness in my chest is tiring. Please help me with advise.

Am going through this at the moment tight chest and difficulty breathing, for me we are narrowing it down to a new food allergy (I already know Im allergic and react severely with anaphylaxis symptoms to eating raw fruit which came on in my 20s can you believe) , ecg came out normal today so Im so greatful its not my heart. Had a couple of prednisone and feel abit better but its on and off and I still need to pinpoint what Im reacting to, it seems 1 allergy isnt enough and my body has decided on another food to torment me with.

I get panic attacks as well but this is totally different also its scaring me enough to almost have a panic attack on top but Im just trying to keep relaxed.

I am a student at university and just turning 20. I have had these breathing difficulties for approximately the past four years but they only seem to be getting worse. Last year I was taken in to hospital for about a week after they thought that it might be due to a blood clot in my lung. After exhausting the idea of a blood clot they decided it was just stress and I should just 'deal with it'. However, they didn't give me any tips on how to 'deal with it'. Then in the November of 2010 I suffered what they said was an 'extreme panic attack' that they put it on the same scale as an asthma attack (despite me not being diagnosed with asthma, and being told my peak flow is normal) and I was given an inhaler to keep on me at all times. Although this helps with the attacks, it's doesn't really help with the general tightness in the chest. So I honestly don't know what to do. I've tried yoga before, but rather than emptying my mind, I found it often wandered and started thinking about other things. So the meditative techniques don't really work for me. I was also part of a thai boxing club a few years ago and didn't particularly enjoy it. Are there any other tips??