Hello, folks. I am exposed to a lot of stress lately. My job is particularly stressed and I must find some way to manage this. My neighbor recommends me Tai Chi. She is very satisfied. I wonder if Tai Chi exercises are suitable for everyone. Thanks in advance for your help.

Tai Chi will be great for you. It is a traditional Chinese martial art that is practiced because of healthy reasons. It is excellent for stress relief and it is often referred as “meditation in motion”. Tai Chi is suitable for everyone. It can be practiced by young and old, male and female, etc. One doesn't need to be in excellent health to practice this discipline. Tai Chi can be adapted for those with walkers and wheelchairs. It isn't demanding, especially for beginners, so elders and those who recover from surgery can do this as well. One also doesn't need a special equipment or space for practicing. It can be done even in parks. That is why it is very popular worldwide. I hope you will be satisfied.

This is my first post on this board so please excuse any clumsiness. My doctor strongly suggested I get into Tai Chi as a way to alleviate some of the discomfort of my 'chronic fatigue syndrome'. Aerobic exercise is too demanding physically but tai chi can be practiced gently and within ones physical limitations. But it really develops a strong connection between mind and body as well as loosening joints and stretching shortened muscles. I learned the form about twenty years ago but stopped practicing it (unfortunately) because I got so caught up in other activities I felt I didn't have time for it. Big Mistake. Now I struggle with what came easy then. I am using DVD to remind me and get me back into the forms. Meditation in action is a good description.

Simply put, yes. It is suitable for anyone as long as they can draw breath. Do it, you will never regret it.

Dear Byrann,

You may find regular meditation more useful and the skills more easily applied whilst in a stressful situation at work, than Taichi.

But yes, I agree with everyone here, Taichi is suitable for everyone.

Here's a great article I found on Taichi that you will find very helpful:

mayoclinic.com/health/tai-chi/SA00087
Best wishes

Fran

Sorry people,

I'm new to this forum and haven't worked out how to make an html link!

Please delete the [url] bit at the end of the link I gave in the above post.

Fran
X