I have also been experiencing uncomfortable pressure and tightness in my chest and heart area for the past few months. It is with me all of the time and it never goes away. Can anybody tell me what to do about it? Is there any medicine to treat it?

Could be anxiety related or a sign that your cardiovascular system may need some attention. it is best to get checked out by your gp first, to rule out any seriousness. then, concentrate on your diet and correct nuritional supplementation to keep problems at bay, and even reverse them.

***edited by moderator*** ***advertising removed***

hope this helps

Just wondering if you've gotten treated for this? I have the same problem, pressure and tightness in my chest. I've recently seen a Cardiologist, but I don't know that it's a problem with my heart.

I have also had this same thing going on for a while. I have had it before. EKG's and blood tests are apparently normal but I have no idea what is causing it. I do have lots of stress, but this still seems abnormal for that.

I have had this for about three years now and no one can figure it out. I think my DR. thinks I am crazy, but it is real. I used to run about three miles a day, now due to the pressure I am concerned to even try. A couple times that I have, I had to lay down and it took almost all day to recover. My DR has given me EKG's, tread mill tests, enzyme test and radiology test, but they see nothing. Has anyone out there figured this out. I don't only feel this when I am stressed out, it is all the time.

I have this same issue, I have had heart problems since birth. I am (cough) 33 now, and have had pressure on my chest in the area of my heart for roughly 3 yrs. I have told my doctor about this. They have done several test but say it's nothing. It is worrying to me. I have been told it's heart burn, pulled muscle, stress, etc by several doctors but I don't believe this to be true.

This problem doesn't persist all the time, there maybe a day or two a week where either I don't notice it due to having it so long or it's just not there. It seems to get worse when I sit for some reason. When I am active or lying down I rarely notice the pain. I have little or no stress, have a good diet, and am average to below average in weight for my height group.

I've been having problems with chest pressure for the last few months as well. I was worried that it had something to do with my heart because at times I also had a rapid heartbeat and it felt like it was beating harder than it should. I recently had an EKG, Stress Test, and bloodwork done, and the doctor said everything looked great.

It tends to bother me more when I'm laying down. It also bothers me a bit more when I eat and it feels like the food is having trouble going down. I really don't know how to explain it...anyone have any suggestions?

I have the same problem, the thing is stress or lack of electrolytes in the body, You can be stress from anything and in the back of your mind it triggers the pain all over again. You can take meds for the pain to relax your mind. You might have ADHD. You just have to stop thinking about the worries of the world and have fun. But always check with the doctor to make sure and never diagnose yourself.

Hello all! I have the exact same issues going on with me. I've been dealing with it since I was pregnant with my son in 2006. I have had many EKG's, bloodwork, chest x-rays, echocardiograms, stress tests, and even a nuclear stress test. I have been told on numerous occasions it is NOT MY HEART. I have gone to 3 different cardiologists since June 2007 and they all agree. I do have a hiatal hernia so I wonder if this is the problem. I get extreme chest pressure that goes into my left arm and it feels like I am choking. I currently am having issues with it but it was ok for about 4-5 months. I don't know why it keeps coming and going? If anyone has any ideas please post!

Guest: First of all, I do believe hiatal hernias have the same kind of symptoms as this. I would definately get that checked and fixed!

Sorry this is long, but if you will please read and give me your opinions!:-) I've been keeping log since it first happen and adding to it as time goes on.

PLEASE HELP! My mom, 43 yrs. old, is having shortness of breath, chest tightness, she sounds like she is whispering when she talks because she can't get enough air to talk normal and pain in feet. This all began 3 weeks after a trip to the Beach. My dad was sick and we went to a drive in movie in the mountains- after that night she has been sick. My mom was diagnosed with bronchitis/ pneumonia on June 26; her white blood count was 17 and her lungs were bad in the x-ray. She was given Avelox 400 mg, Nohist-Plus, Preventil HFA and a shot of Roceferin. She went back on July 3 and was given Benzonatate 100 mg, Advair and a steroid shot. Still sick, she went back on July 30 and her WBC was good/ lungs were worse than at first. She was given M-End WC (cough medicine), Zolpidem 10mg, Prednisone 10 mg, Mucinex, and was told the AdVair made it worse and to not take it anymore. She still didn't get better so she went back on August 5. Her blood count was going back up and her lungs were the same. So she was given Factive 320 mg., Singulair 10 mg, Proventil HFA Inhaler, and ADvair and a steroid shot. August 7 she went to the Pulmonologist and was told her X-Rays look fine and they did the Spirometer breathing 'test' in which she passed with flying colors! The only thing he could see was that she was "Holding" a little air somewhere and was put on Singulair again! It hasn't helped at all! Everytime we've been to the doctor she has had a 98% or better oxygen level and her blood pressure is good. She doesn't smoke- no negative health before or in family history. (Her dad had a stroke at 45 yrs. old.)

She has had blood work to check for Congestive Heart Failure- and didn't show any signs of it. She has passed all lung tests. They had her on Nexium to see if it is GERD, but she knows what heart burn is and says that isn't what she is feeling. Nexium also didn't have much of an impact on how she felt. She is now on a "Fluid Pill" to help her get fluid out of her aveloi and lungs. She is feeling alot better than at first, she just has days when she feels as though she smothers a lot. If she lifts are arms above her head or tilt her head back she can't breath.

We had to take her to the ER because she couldn't breath back in early October. They did CTs, X-Rays, Blood Work, Artrial Blood Gas Test, EKG...etc... and they said they couldn't find anything!! They just gave her Doxycycline. The day after she couldn't feel her arms from elbow down nor could she feel from her knees down. Late that night she got feeling again. A day or two after she passed blood when she had a bowel movement. We were afraid it was an allergic reaction so we stopped the Doxycycline. The blood in the bowel movements stopped within a few days.

She went back to her regular doctor and he said she had Costrochondritis- inflammation where the ribs and sternum meet.

She began to feel better for a few weeks. And beginning Friday she is sick again! She began to have the chills, hoarsness, FATIGUE, smothering and chest heaviness. ** The nights she has a "Smothering Attack" she is usually nauseated before bed.** She has been taking Zoloft for her nerves for years now, but we switched her to Cymbalta to see if it would help her. Tonight she woke up not able to feel her arms or face, her chest was really heavy and she was waving her arms in the air. The days she does more physical activity or is very stressful at work are the worst days for her and she is literally too tired to move when she gets home and feels horrible. She is scared to go to sleep because she is afraid she isn't going to wake up.

** This is not my normal mom- she is usually active, laughing and enjoying life. PLEASE HELP WITH IDEAS!! I can't find anything on the internet and I can't get any doctors around to find out what is going on.

I have the exact same symptoms as most of these posts. The only thing I can find in common in all of them is that we have all been to the doctor and have been told that we are NOT dying. I have been diagnosed with anxiety disorder and from what I can read, others have a similiar disorder of constantly worrying that they are dying of a dreaded disease.

I am starting to see a Psychiatrist and started on Benzo's and Anit-Depressants. We'll see if they help.

I have this same problem. When i wake up it feel like im having hunger pains in my chest area. Like all you all i went to the doctor and they all said im fine. I have pain everyday, sometimes i think its all in my head because when im not think about it it can go away and then the slightest thought will bring it back. I really think it might be stress related. whatever it is its not good i know that.

I am 57 and am experiencing the same chest pressure symptoms as most all of you are writing about. I can actually pinpoint it to when it started. I woke up one morning about 7 or 8 years ago and felt a heavy pressure on my chest. Knowing that was a heart attack symptom, I took my time getting up. I thought maybe I had just survived a heart attack. But as one of you mentioned, it felt heavier when I laid down. It never went away. Whenever I laid down, I would feel uncomfortable and try to move around to make the pressure go away. If I got on my knees with my head in the pillow, I felt some relief. It's now gotten worse to where I feel it most all the time when I'm up or laying down. I went to the doctor who immediately said I had reflux - which I do and has gotten worse - my food seems to flow back up into my mouth every now and then (sorry for the graphics) - but the pressure in my chest seems to be around my heart with some radiation into my upper chest. I've wondered for a long time whether it's something the cardiologist just isn't picking up in all their heart tests (echo cardiograms, stress, etc.) which have come back negative. I've thought about getting the heart CT scan which shows if there are clogged arteries in the heart itself, but don't like the reports I hear about the radiation, which could cause lung problems, although I hear some places have much lower radiation output in their scanners but you need to do your homework to find them. Bottom line, I hear you all and am relieved to know I'm not the only one with this problem as I'm starting to sound like a hypochondriac to all my doctors. I so desperately want to know this is not heart related. I even thought I had a tumor growing in there, but X ray was negative.

Goodness, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

A couple months ago, I was feeling short of breath and had a tightness/heavy feeling in my chest area. I was terrified, as I'm only 17 years old. I tell my dad about this, and he takes me to the doctor who says it's related to hormones and stress levels.
I didn't understand this. I don't normally worry about anything and I couldn't see how this problem was related. Well, it goes away for a while when the doctors give me this breathing exercise. A couple nights ago, it came back worse. Even when I'm calm now, it still acts up.
I try not to concentrate on breathing because it makes it worse and my heart jumps faster than it's supposed to. I'm petrified that this will kill me, and I say a prayer every night for God to wake me up in the morning.
That's probably my problem, that I'm so worried about dying.
If there's something that I can do to make this go away, or stop all together, please tell me. I hate feeling like I'm going to die of a heart attack or pass out from lack of oxygen. I'd love to know some calming techniques or something.

Please, and thank you for reading.

i am 25 and i have this very same problem...

the tight chest, the coughing, the heart racing.

i have been to the emergency room, to my GP several times and all my tests come up fine.

my parents think im crazy and the only thing making people think twice is the coughing... it wont stop.

at first it was a breathing thing... i woke up one morning feelin so short of breath and i found myself really focusing on my breathing, like i was going to stop breathing... i was so scared. I went to my GP who said it was anxiety... which makes no sense... i dont see what i have to feel anxious about?

grrrr,

then about 6 months ago the coughing started...

i lose my breath so quickly and my heart races from me just walking down the stairs, im not over weight... yet i feel it.

i really want this to stop, its putting a dent in my social and work life!