I was planning on running a 10k this weekend that is close by. I'm the defending champ 2 years running. (I've never in my life won a race 3x in a row)

Last night, I was asked to run a half as a marthon relay as his partner had children problems. The race would require an overnight stay.

what to do?

I always think that returning for a title is always a bad idea....but it is hard not to think that way in this case

Hotel stays are the yuck for me......can we say anxiety.....but it might be good practice to deal with it as I'm usually "not" very anxious about half marathons or relays

edited to add: I see no way that we wouldn't win the mixed masters relay. The competition would be how many men's open we can beat. My male partner is just a click better than I at the half distance.

Guessing from the way you explained it, did you commit to the 10K before you got the half offer?

Do the half - you've already proven you're the best at that particular 10k twice.

The only way I committed was asking my 10 year old to do the 2 mile again this year. I have not turned in forms and I was not an invited runner. Bryce should be okay as we will have a local 5k/10 prediction run on Wednesday night that our bike shop puts on with the running club. So no, there is no committment whatsover with the RD. In fact, I think there may be some animosity between this race and my local running club as my club does not put it on their calendar, (the race is in Menasha), yet advertise Shanty Days up in Algoma and this marathon in Hurley.

Then go with the half - like Rob said, you've proven yourself at that 10K.

I'd do the half and go on your gut feeling with this one.
Honestly, both your arguments balance each other out with what to do. Both have pros and cons.
I hate it when there are decisions like this to make (where it's a toss up either way)!!

I agree with the boyz, go with the half.

If the fitness is there I would try the half-marathon, yuo won the 10k twice and would winning it three time mean as much as trying a newer distance that also for a good cause.

Sometime you have to go a little out of your zone to grow.

S99

10K - Make a name for yourself.

Paavo!!!!!!!!! :fubby: :fubby: /spoken with my great scandinavian drawl of course

So which is it?

10k, that is what you trained for and it costs less since you don't have the hotel bill.