Just curious if anyone here believes that you should run for a set time instead of a set distance. The theory being that a guy that can run 6:00 miles and a guy that runs 10:00 miles at the same HR% get the same work out because they're both working out for the same amount of time. Whereas the guy that runs 6:00 miles would only get his heart rate up for 30 minutes if he ran 5 miles and the guy that runs 10:00 miles would get 50:00 minutes worth of exercise.

* 'Guy' doesn't necessarily denote a male, but just a runner. Not trying to be sexist here.

I don't know if I believe in a "set" anything. Sometimes I go for a set distance and sometimes I run for a set time.

Since I'm so slow reporting by time may sound better

I'm not sure about your theory. I don't know too many 'guys' that work at the same heart rate when going 6 mpm and 10 mpm.
As for running for time instead of distance, I've noticed that more beginner runners run for time. The more 'advanced' they become, they tend to run for distance with a time goal.

Ditto

I have run for time since the beginning. In fact, I was out for nearly an hour before the VRAA and was quite pleased at how much mileage I was doing when I was done tracking my routes by mileage for the log.

I usually log at home in my journal since I stopped going to Coolrunning, so my entries say 1.5 hours/45 minutes/50 minutes, etc.

When I think it's nearly time to buy new shoes I decide it by taking my really slow miles/hour (about 12.5 minutes/mile ) and figuring it by total time.

I run for time only. That way I do not have to measure out a path. I can just run.

I always know the time, but I don't always know the distance. Some streets are blocked through my neighborhood, so it makes measuring difficult. Some paths I can't measure at all.

I can usually estimate pretty well based on pace, though.

I have a pedometer but I really doubt it's very accurate.

I ran by time a lot when I started.

I don't do that now, though.

I probably should, once in a while.

used to a lot
now i run courses with a set distance
except the day before a race
i always just run 20 minutes easy do not care about distance

more a slave to my excel spread sheet

No, that is why I runfor distance. I feel much better saying I ran 7 miles than having to admit how long it took. My personal O is that the slower you are, the harder it is to run for time, especially on the long runs, because my "three hour" long run might be a lot shorter than I should actually be running distance wise to prep for a marathon. But I was never sure if that actually made any sense.