I am on Day 9 of recovery after my tonsillectomy surgery. While a lot of the pain has decreased and my tongue doesn't feel as swollen and I am not having as much pain in my throat when I swallow, my tongue and the back of my throat/roof of my mouth sometimes feel like they have canker sores on them when I swallow. It feels really raw, almost bruised, like I gave myself a sore from sucking with a straw or something. Has anyone else experienced this pain. I don't think they actually are canker sores (I hope they are not!), but I just want to check with other people, because this seems to be a new sensation and new pain that I haven't been feeling so far. Any advice? Thanks!

Good day. I know exactly what you are saying. This was happening to me even 15 days after my surgery. My throat was sore, I really had difficulty in eating and drinking, and I have lost some weight that always bothered me. But that is normal. Look, some patients will feel tonsillectomy side effects days and days after the surgery. That is normal, but of course, I would recommend you one thing, let it be under a supervision. No, you feel like canker sores but that is not actually it. It is just a feeling and it is a kind of normal. It will go away. 

Hey guys-
My ENT has recommended a tonsillectomy for me. I have read some of your postings which scare the hell out of me. Last year at this time I had sinus surgery/deviated septum- which I thought was painful. This sounds beyond frustrating. Did you guys stay overnight in the hospital or were you outpatient? Thanks for any advice? Do you feel the outcomes were worth the pain and loss time?
Thanks- Carrie

I know exactly what you're talking about w/ the sores on your tongue. I'm only on day 2 and my tongue is just now getting like that. My tongue is extremely painful towards the back and the sides of it are numb... so much so that i can bite it and i don't feel anything, it's really white and it seems to be swelling. I'm curious if it's aggrivated by the constant popsciles.
Another problem I'm having is whenever i manage to swallow something it goes up my nose. the doctor says it's my palate not closing and it should go away quickly... anyone else having this problem??

If you're still having problems with the canker sore feeling, you might try gargling with mild salt water to relieve the symptoms. I started doing this about 7 days after surgery and it made the sensations go away.

Socialcarrie, not sure if you've since had the tonsillectomy. I am 3 weeks post-op, and I was SCARED. But, I had bouts 2x/year from age 8-20, and left me w/one enlarged tonsil. Then it started back up when I returned to office work at age 29.

I had an outpatient surgery, from check-in to check-out was about 4 1/2 hours. I was eating crushed ice about 20 minutes after surgery but needed some demerol as initial pain was severe. I did have a bit of bleeding on day 6 and had to go back in. That was stressful. I took 10 days (using 2 wknds) off work and it wasn't quite enough. I worked 1/2 days that second week, and doing 6-7 hours a day this third week.

So far, I will say that it was not so traumatic that I wouldn't have had it done. Every other 'about 30 year old' that I've polled has said they were never sick in the same way again. I hope to have that same outcome.

Good luck in your decision.

I'm so glad to find this out. I had the tonsilectomy due to almost constant canker sores on my tonsils and to see what looks and feels like one hanging around my uvula....arg! I'm on day 7 and had my first food and hopefully will be able to resume 'normal' soon!
I'm 33 and while this has been the most painful process I've gone through, I have managed quite well, and I'm a big ole wimp! The hardest thing is forcing myself to not go back to work and not become overzealous about my daily responsibilities.

Hello everyone, I am 45 y.o. and had my tonsells and uvula removed on 7/9. I went today for my one-week followup and I had a list of questions for my doc with the first being what was with all of the mucus that felt was stuck between my nasal passages and my throat and I haven't been able to get out. He informed me that it was mostly all due to the swelling as was my other concern of aching gums and teeth. He said the swelling was putting pressure on my gums but that it would take at least another three days for me to really start feeling better. He did switch my pain med from liquid lortab to tylenol with codeine at my request. I spoke with a friend and she reminded me that years ago I was given Lortab and it didn't do anything for me but the tylenol with codeine did. Oh well the pain is now better just after two doses and the canker sore feeling has even gone away. The pain is now just like a very bruised toungue and sore upper mouth. I have been drinking about 1 to 1/2 liters of water per day but sounds like I should be drinking more. I have been eating mostly cream-of-wheat, oatmeal, jell-o and applesauce but today I actually started craving real food and tried a small quantity of green beans, mashed potatoes and a a small piece of a hamburger patty. All went down with little pain except for the patty but it only hurt a little bit. I'm so glad my friend remembered about my history with Lortab and tylenol. Oh and yes, this has been the most physically painful thing I've been through but hope it's all ends up worse it. My ENT believes I will be glad I had it done even if I do hate him right now.

Hello- My mother-in-law has been suffinging with cronic tinsillitus which creates pockets of "junk" in the back of her throat that cause lots of pain and ear pressure. The doctor would like to remove her tonsills. I'm a little concerned after reading what others have blogged about this subject.

Do the benifits out weigh the pain and suffering. I though having your tonsills removed was a piece of cake, now I know that is not the case.

Any feed back on elderly tonsillectomy would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Concerned daughter in law

Janice

Hi - I'm 21 and this is day 9 of my recovery from a coblation method tonsillectomy/adenoidectomy (couting surg day as day 1). let me tell you... this experience has been awful. the first day in the hospital/at home wasnt too bad.. very misleading! I was on morphine in the hospital and was able to eat popsicles with some ease, but spent a few hours in recovery because my blood pressure was too elevated.

i was able to talk that night and even eat some creamy milky mashed potatoes that night. the first 5 days were very painful, but they alternated good/bad. At some points I was crying from the pain (typically after sleeping - even though I continued with the pain meds every 2 hours - because i wasn't taking in any fluid while i was sleeping). But at some points I felt "fine" - ie, not in tears and able to swallow with relative ease. At some points I have been able to eat some milky mashed potatoes or creamy soup but that's it as far as non-liquid, non-jello food goes.

days 6-8 so far have been the worst, and progressively so. Yesterday seemed to get better by late last night, but this morning I woke up in intense pain unable to swallow - taking my meds was terrible. My throat is completely covered over in the white scab, which my mom says is looking great (shes a doc). I was able to talk the first few days (with mild pain) but then couldnt talk day 6 and could only talk in the evening of day 7. The past couple of days i have been experiencing a lot of stinging sensations when i swallow/talk. (sharp pains like being poked with needles) and the area where my sinuses hit the top of my throat are particularly sore/irritated because I have begun to breathe mainly through my nose instead of with an open-mouth. also my gums/teeth/tongue are still very very sore.

anyone else experience any of these things and have any suggestions?? i feel like i'm going crazy and my family doesnt believe i could possibly STILL be in this much pain from such a "small surgery"!!!!!!! i would be crying incessantly right now if it didnt hurt so badly to cry!

I take a percocet (oxycodone with acetaminophen) every 2 hours, which really doesnt seem to do anything except keep the edge off. I also take benadryl because the pain meds make me itchy, chloraseptic spray works a little right before having to take the dissolved pills because they tend to burn (acetaminophen in powder form really burns the scabs). I've tried both ice packs and heating pads on my neck, each have helped on seperate occassions. I also bought a cold mist humidifier but i question how much it's helped. Something that really has helped with the nausea (from the pain pills) is zofran oral disintegrating tablets. Your doc can prescribe them to you, they dissolve on your tongue, go down easy (no hard swallowing!) and really work. Theyre the only reason i havent thrown up, even though I've come extremely close on several occassions.

Anyways, this is long i'll cut it off... just thought i'd let people know how my experience has been. So far i'm not feeling glad i had this done, but it was necessary as i had tonsillitis 7 times in the past year andmissed tremendous amounts of school/work. I'll maybe update again later... but for now i'm going to try to work on getting this pain im in under control.

Ahh Phew!. I was a little worried about this one. Thought maybe my doctor had botched me on the table :)

I am currently experiencing this, but it seems to be lessening... I think... and I hope. Lol You are not alone.

Okay, so when I tell my friends and family (and professors, etc.) that I had a tonsillectomy I don't think anyone really gets that this is a big deal when you're 30. I think that most people think of kids getting their tonsils out all the time and that it's just a minor procedure. My friends have all been like, "oooh! Lucky you! You get to eat lots of ice cream. Eat some for me!"

YEAH RIGHT. So far, it's the sixth day since surgery, and all I've really been able to eat is ice chips. Popsicles, jello, yogurt, ice cream, soup... everything just burns the heck out of my throat. Everything is still really swollen and raw. The rawness, I think , is where the burning is coming from, like my tongue and throat are one giant canker sore.

Yesterday started the lovely process of scabbing, which makes it feel like I can't breathe. And last night was some of the worst pain I've had since I had the surgery. Today it's the back and mostly sides of my tongue that are feeling the pain the most.

I'm alternating between tylenol 3/codeine and percocet every 4 hours, which helps with the pain a little but makes me dizzy and soooooooo tired all the time.

In the past year, I've had strep throat 3 times and mono, and the ENT said that my tonsils were really infected when he removed them, so I know this is gonna be to my benefit in the long run. But right now, IT JUST SUCKS.

Okay, had to vent.
Trying not to cry now. It hurts too much.

I have had tonsillitis three times in the past 4months. My doctor pushed a tonsillectomy on me cause my tonsils were so swollen, they were touching. He did warn me of the pain--tht it would be awful and I really did not think it was going to be that bad.
This has been the most awful experience of my life. I am on day 15 which is really day 8. One day 9, I started bleeding uncontrollably and was sent into emergancy surgery. The pain will not go away. My ears hurt, I am tired, my tongue hurts . I've lost 17lbs cause I cannot eat. The daoctor said since I went back into surgery I was starting back at day one. When does it end? I cant sleep cause it hurts, all I do is suck on ice all day and take pain meds. The nausea is awful and he dry heaving makes it worse. And yes, crying is not an option cause it makes you feel worse. I put an icepack on my neck which kinda soothes it. It truly feels like someone keeps stabbing your throat. Its the worse kind of pain.

Congrats to all of you for getting your tonsils out! I had mine out when I was 21, and as miserable as it was, it was the BEST thing I've ever done!!! I'm 28 now and I can honestly say that I haven't had a single sore throat or ear infection since. I know you feel terrible after the surgery but trust me, it's SOOOOO worth it.

Hello- I am two days post op. My ENT surgeon made me stay over night to monitor my airway (due to Sleep Apnea). I also had a septo-rhinoplasty last November, because of a severely deviated septum. I can say that the nose surgery was 100 times worse, but I am still very miserable right now with my tonsillectomy. I am having difficulting swallowing, and sleep is so infrequent. My doctor sent me home with antibiotics (liquid) and tylenol 3 (liquid w/codeine). I had to get a new prescription because the tylenol 3 just wasn't relieving any of the pain. They gave me percocet (which I have to grind up and mix into my applesauce or jello. Any recommendation how to disguise the taste of the medicine?

Thanks.

Please Read..

Okay, I have read hours and hours of post on this surgery. Trying to see what to expect in this day and that day, but it doesn't help. I am not sure if I had a really good doctor or what, but the pain people describe on here isn't how it went for me at all.

First Let me say that 2 years ago At the age of 20 I had sinus surgery/deviated septum surgery. I would have a tonsilectomy 5 times again before I had that surgery again.

This is were people went wrong. ICE CHIPS! Ice chips are possibly the one thing during the recovery that prevents you from getting better. (from my doctor). Think about it, your throat is swollen, cut, bruised, sore. ect. and every 5-10 your making it work for an .oz of liquid. You need to drink water, its going to hurt like crazy, but it will make your feel better in the long run because it will hydrate you better than Ice Chips.

Pain Meds - LOVE THEM!! :-) Take them when your suppose to take them and it will relieve the pain. Do not settle for anything BUT Liquid Hydroconde.

Mornings - Mornings suck, its painful, you want to cry. Not going to lie. Walk to your fridge take your pain meds and chase it with some ROOM temp. Water. Get into the shower (natural muscle and sinus relaxer). Once finished, BRUSH YOUR TEETH!! This makes such a difference! It removes the bad taste you have from not only sore throat, but meds too. It also relieves your jawl muscles. (This was the best tip i got)

"Milky Things" - Stay away from Milk, Yogurt, Pudding, and defiently ICE CREAM. This are all hard to swallow and produce alot of phelgm (sp). It feels good going down but it wont soon after. Stick to soups, ensure, pancakes, ramon noodles. ect.

ICE- Make ice your best friend. If your alive, have Ice around your throat. AT ALL TIMES!

Well. these were the best advice I got so I just wanted to share.
I had my surgery 8 days ago. (counting day of surgery). And I have been off my pain meds for 2 days now. Just had mexican food tonight, and half a beer!! :-) Take care all and God Bless!