I had a coblation tonsillectomy exactly three months ago, but ever since my operation I have had inflamation in my throat around the left over adenoids, inflammed throat glands, and headaches. In the last 3 weeks I recently started to develop very mild fevers and fatigue too. I also have had problems with swallowing and I get a very dry cough. My throat fells dry and scratchy at the back and I have occasional ear pain. My doctor and ENT kept saying it was normal to experience some minor pain for the first month but this just hasn't gone away. I had a strep test which came back negative, and I was treated for possible oral thrush which has not helped.

I wonder if anyone has had similar problems. Could it perhaps be due to allergies that I didn't know I had because I had a chronic sore throat for a year and a half due to the tonsillitis? Or did the surgeon do something to mess up my throat which he isn't willing to admit. Over the last few years I have tried being gluten free and dairy free for various reasons and that never seemed to have an effect on my health. I'm starting to feel as sick as I did with tonsillitis and I am desperate to get well again and get on with my life. My doctor seems unwilling to investigate why this is happening even though he admits my throat and glands are inflammed and my ENT just dosen't want to know about it. I would really appreciate any advice people have, and if someone has had a similar experience please let me know!

I agree that it is possible for the surgeon to have done something wrong to mess up your throat. If this is the case, you will need to get a second opinion from a different doctor, preferably one who is not associated with the surgeon in question. There has been a reported case of a dentist in the United States (Florida, if I remembered right) who infected many of his patients with the AIDS virus by using unclean dental instruments. You sounded like you may have symptoms of suppressed immune response that makes you susceptible to infections. Chronic sore throat may also be a sign of throat cancer. I suggest that you see an immunologist next, and then a ear-nose-throat specialist.

Thanks for your reply hoseclamps. I think it is unlikely that I have contracted AIDS, my surgeon has a very good reputation and did an operation on my sister who has not had any problems. I think I will see an immunologist though, as in my last two blood tests my white count has either been slightly high or my palate count low. These tests were both done before my tonsillectomy, with the low palate count last year so it is possible these results were caused by my tonsillitis, but given you think my symptoms could indicate a bad immune system I will be on the safe side and get checked out.

Thanks again, I will let you know what they say incase anyone else has similar problems and is worried.

I think you might be scaremongering here, for a start, you cannot catch HIV from unclean instrumentation. its spread via bodily fluids entering mucous membranes. AIDS, despite how debilitating and horrendous the disease is, it isnt a very contagious virus, compared to something like herpes or influenza.

Also, chronic sore throats can be a sign of throat cancer, but considering they are being experienced post throat surgery I doubt they are.

I myself am 4 months on from tonsillectomy and my throat still gets tight and sore, especially if I have been drinking alcohol. I put it down to the fact I will have a lot of scar tissue in my throat, and as anybody with scars knows, the skin tends to be a lot tighter and drier whilst its healing, even on a minor scale, scabs itch and the skin is sore an tender long after the scar has gone.

Id say you're probably taking a long time to heal, but go get checked out if you are worried. Dont let people scare you into thinking you have aids or cancer, its very very very unlikely!!

I don't know much about your condition necessarily. However, doing my own research on various health related problems, I am led to believe that most health related issues are directly related to the health of the gut. If the gut is clean, with a good balance of the beneficial guys in the gut, balanced acid/alkaline, no candida issues, not filled with non-organic, fried, GMO, processed foods, white, refined sugars and corn syrup, chemicals....you would not have been a situation that warrented a tonsillectomy. Unfortunately, we don't live in a society that supports this type of lifestyle. I suffer from candida problems, my daughter had a tonsillectomy to get rid of tonsil stones, also has candida problems (although in denial about it), and she suffers from allergies too. I'd suggest doing a candida test, you can do one online, and see what the test results tell you. It is no fun dealing with a chronic candida probem. Perhpas, this will not be your lot and the surgeon did screw up. Either way, good luck to you!

lili

I too have the same symptoms after a tonsillectomy 2 months ago. I know this was posted 2 years ago...but anyone out there have the same thing and a resolution for this? I am 40 years old but I thought I'd be completely healed 2 months after the tonsillectomy...the right side still hurts and ear pain and I feel like i'm speaking muffled because it feels like there is something on the back of my tongue or throat. this is awful!

I had a tonsillectomy due to tonsil stones in February. Now it is April and I my throat still doesn't feel normal. I too was treated for thrush and it didn't help. I also find that I sometimes make snort noises with my tongue by accident. I do suffer from acid reflux and wonder if that is the problem. I take my medications, but still feel like it's sandpaper on the back of my tongue. So you are not alone in how you feel.

I have the exact same thing and it's been almost 9 months. I'm 23. My voice is scratchy and gives out from minimal use. My throat hasn't stopped hurting and feels tight like something is back there. For a while I woud get ear aches and headaches that lasted for day radiating from my throat. Now just the occassional earache. None o the Drs or ENTs seem to want to spend much time on it. Did you ever figure out what was wrong?

I had a tonsillectomy in early February, and it is now May and I am still experiencing a tight, itchy throat. Although it's been almost 3 months since my surgery, I am still experiencing pain when yawning and sneezing. My throat often feels dry, scratchy, and irritated, usually resulting in a coughing fit. I have not found any solutions yet; maybe somebody here could help me...

I am glad I have found this thread. I had a tonsillectomy on 14th Feb and I am still struggling with the throat. My right hand side of my throat feel sore and also there is a red sore there too. My throat feels dry and irritated and I feel as though I have to swallow constantly to try to remove something that is lodged back there. How long does this go on for? I am sick to death with it now 

Hi please can someone help I had my tonsils removed in August 11 and I still have major problems .... It feels constantly dry and like I have a lump still plus I have a little red pimple near my uluva and I'm always swollowing all the time I'm really depressed about this an want some answers please

I'm 24 and had my tonsils out Feb 24th 2012, It's now May 13th 2012. I still have a sore area when I yawn/open my mouth to wide or If i stick my tongue way out I feel a pinch/tight feeling. Have Swollen Lymph Nodes under the jaw and neck, Dry mouth, and the back/side of my tongue will occasionally be sore. I did get a bad sinus infection the end of April, and on top of that my gums became sore and tender from not being able to fully brush my teeth for a few weeks after the surgery.
Went back to the Dr's becuase my sinuses where still bothering me and this time they gave me nasal spray and amoxicillin. Mornings and Late nights seem to be the most bothersome.
Just wonder if anyone else had the same issues and how long it took them to feel like their normal self?

I also have had my tonsils out due to swollen lymph nodes. never had strep in my life but after 5 months of back to back "viruses" they realized i needed a tonsillectomy. it is now three months later, and i have not once been sick or had a sore throat untill just now. Im worried because the pain feels like it did when i first got the surgery. It doesnt feel like a simple sore throat but as if something is in the back of my throat and is making my ear and head hurt on one side. Its hard to describe, but it even hurts if i turn to the right (side of throat that hurts) and talk. Even though its been three months im sick of seeing the doctor for the same thing, anyone know what could be going on!?

i read it takes one whole year for a tonsilectomy to heal completely. im on day 13 and it still hurts very badly .... i dont see any heeling in my near future so this is probably correct. i googled it.

I have been experiencing the same issue. I had my tonsils removed last November of 2012 and right know I feel like I have sore throat and sometimes it feels like it has something like a left over behind my throat and sometimes it's itchy wherein in I tend to blow specially if it feel dry. I guess this is normal, but I'll check it with the doctor.