Hi all, I just thought I would post a non traumatic tonsillectomy experience as some of these posts scared me half to death before I had it done : ) background:i am 24 and i have suffered 3+ sinus infections per year for years, chronic strep (lasting a month or more several times a year) as a kid, and now a case of tonsillitis that has been with me since mono in september- even though treated with antibiotics repeatedly...

Anyway I am day nine post op and feeling pretty good. My tonsillectomy was done using the new coblation method and i was eating jello right after coming out of the post anesthesia unit. I was sent home with Roxicet (liquid oxycodone with acetaminophen) to take every 6 hours. I was doing soups for the first 3 days and now am up to relatively normal foods- beef stew, chow mein. I still know when its time to take the meds though. I think what has gotten me through so well was staying hydrated and taking the meds religiously on time. We have a snow cone maker ($20 at target) and i lived off slushies the ice helped with the pain and swelling and stayed hydrated at the same time. I mixed sprite with the ice- straight sprite was too acidic.

Other tips: keep a list of when you last took pain meds- they make you loopy and its easy to get confused. set an alarm to wake you up for meds also- it may be easy to sleep through it but it is hell to try to catch up when the pain is bad, also drink drink drink- i could only handle so much water before feeling nauseous but watering down juice or pop helped. Also my ENT told me to eat real food as soon as possible- only avoiding sharp foods (including bread crust) and spicy foods- he said you will heal faster if you have to chew- so stew or mashed potatoes are much better than soup or broth after the first few days. Lastly remember to drink whenever you wake up, the pain was worse after sleeping for 6 hours as you get dehydrated and the scabs dry out. I was never without a cup of shaved ice and a spoon.

Good luck to all and I am soooo glad I did it. I cant wait to feel good again its been a long time. Oh and the pain is not terrible if you keep hydrated and take the pain meds, if you are having your tonsils out chances are you have had horrendous sore throats before, its no worse than a really bad case of strep.

2nd most helpful post yet - thank you!

Thank you so much for this post, its so much more positive and reassuring than so many of the others. i've just got out of hospital and feeling a bit daunted as have my mums wedding in 8 days but hopefully if i drink lots and eat as much as possible things might not be as bad as i thought. xxx