Bonjour

I have heard all these horror stories about tonsillectomy recovery being extremely painful. This is my story. I had my tonsillectomy five days ago and I am 17 years old.

Day 1 (Surgery): I went into the hospital with my boyfriend and mom by my side. The surgery lasted about 45 minutes and, needless to say, I felt like I had the best sleep of my life. It only took me 25 minutes to wake up after they were done. I stayed in the hospital for two hours after surgery, drank a lot of water, ate many ice chips (which were extremely wonderful), and some Jersey Shore (which I do not recommend for recovery). My boyfriend wheeled me out to our car and my mom drove us back to her place. The rest of the day, I was constantly faling asleep and waking up and found, as long as I stayed hydrated (no matter how much it hurt to swallow), I was able to talk and my throat wasn't in agonizing pain. I am on Vicadin for the pain which makes me very "loopy." My boyfriend stayed awake all night and made sure every four hours I was taking my Vicadin to keep the pain from catching up to me. I recommend doing this for the first few days, otherwise your throat will hurt beyond belief. That night I was unable to sleep very well because it was very difficult to find any position that was comfortable. I think the doctors were a little harsh on my jaw considering it still hurts worse than my throat, five days later. Also, make sure to have somebody watching you for the first 24 hours. This is extremely important because you need to make sure your throat doesn't open up. Better safe than sorry.

Day 2: This day was filled with many movies and still, a lot of sleep. My mom made me smoothies with protien shakes in them and fruit that contains fiber (yes, your antibiotics will make you constipated and that is another thing you have to deal with that is extremely uncomfortable). I recommend eating soup, popsicles, and smoothies without any ice in them. Do not eat dairy for the first few days for this causes a mucus to form in your throat making it difficult to swallow and highly uncomfortable. Even if you don't want to eat, eat. If you're like me, I have an extremely high metabolism and my body metabolises food faster than it can process it for me to gain weight, you need to eat anything you can consume. Jello is a good source of calories as well and it is easy to consume. I, again, took my medicine every four hours and my antibiotics three times a day. My boyfriend made sure during the night I slept with my head elevated and not too far tilted back. I recommend this as well as it helps reduce coughing. Also, keep drinking water non-stop. You will be on the toilet 24/7 but it helps so much with soothing the throat and keeping it hydrated for when the scabs do eventually fall off. It will also help reduce bleeding of the throat. So, drink water constantly.

Day 3: Ear aches started to occur on this day. Most people who recieve tonsillectomy will have ear aches. I was in agonizing pain but, again, drinking plenty of water will help with the ear aches. The day consisted of watching movie after movie and sleeping on and off. Get plenty of rest throughout the day because it is difficult to sleep at night, considering you are waking up to take your medication. Warm baths also help with just making you relax fully in your body, which is very important. Now, to shower was a different story for me. If you are like me, and have a brutally aching jaw, you cannot tilt your head backwards. I recommend having somebody wash your hair for you. No, you don't have to be naked with them, put on a bathing suit and have them wash your hair for you. Proper hygiene is still important. Brush your teeth often and use a moderate mint mouthwash. Your breath will smell horrific and it is also important to keep proper dental hygiene.

Day 4: I haven't talked as much, but I am able to talk. My voice sounds a bit nasaly, but I guess that comes with the recovery. I still have been taking my medication every four hours but stopped waking up in the night to take it, which, if you are constantly drinking water, will be okay. During these days, I was capeable of taking my birth control pill, which is very small, so if you have to take pills, only take them if they are very small to reduce scratching of the throat. Currently, I am unable to take my Vitamins, Iron, and Biotin pills because they are too big. I ate green beans with cheese on them today. It took me forever to complete this meal, which was very small, but in the end, I was so happy I could get something other than soup, popsicles, and smoothies in my system. I am able to eat mashed potatoes (made from flakes) and also macaroni that is cut. Basically, you can eat many more foods as long as you cut them up in very little pieces. I am thankful that my boyfriend has had the patients to make me food and cut it up in bite-sized pieces for me. Sleeping was better tonight except I started coughing up mucus. It tastes like vomit when I spit it up into the sink which is very difficult to keep an iron stomach through. I am wondering, is this the starting of my scabs coming off? In my spit, there are particles that are a brownish color. I look in the back of my throat and see that the white stuff is becoming less, so I am assuming this is my scabs slowly, but surely coming off.

Day 5 (Today): My ears are insanely throbbing and I am still spitting out vomit-tasting particles and mucus. The white stuff in my throat is less than it was yesterday and I find it hard to eat today. I had some oatmeal for breakfast and have been continuously drinking water and have taken my medicine. I tried to find some information online about my mucus and stuff I am coughing up, but I still don't know what it is. If anybody could tell me what it is, I will be so greatful.

So far, it has been a slow recovery, leaving the house rarely, but it has been an easier recovery than what I have heard. The horror stories are most likely due to a lack of properly recovering, such as not drinking enough fluids and not being a couch potato. But if anybody has any feedback, please feel free to respond to this and also my question!

I will keep this updated to the best of my ability.

Au revoir!

Not that it matters but it's the pain meds along with the anesthesia that caused you to be constipated. Anytime you have surgery and childbirth is an excellent example, you want to stay extremely hydrated as you did and walk around as much as doctor will allow! Having poo problems on top of surgery is a pain in the @S's and certainly not needed and slightly avoidable. Since you took your pain meds religiously you would've had some major problems with being comfortable if you hadn't also been great about drinking. Important advice that you covered there!!