my daughter had her tonsils out on april 3, 2007. She continues to complain of a sore throat and there is a white strip on the side of her throat. i have also seen yellowish stuff behind her uvula which seems to come and go. is this still post-operative healing? i have no idea what strep throat would look like post-tonsillectomy. she never gets a fever with strep. she has also been complaining of on-going stomach pain. we have been to the doc so much, not sure if i should take her in. we have an appointment with a gastroenterologist on 5/30, but wondering if i should get a strep culture before that.

Mickey63,
I had my tonsillectomy at age 30 on May 25, 07 and am 3 weeks out from surgery. I continue to see white and yellowish areas come and go back in my throat, and my ENT said that it takes 2 months from surgery for scarring and the 'fossa' or tissue in the back of the throat to get back to normal. I hope she's okay and REALLY hope she doesn't get strep after having tonsils out finally.

Hi! Look, the first thing that is really important is that after a tonsillectomy, you drink enough liquids. This will improve your healing, but it also reduces the risk of bleeding and prevent fluid loss, which can happen very often to the patient. I know that a lot of patients are not able to eat or drink, this is one of the tonsillectomy side effects but you have to give your best and to try it, it does not matter that you can't - you need to have one thing in your mind, that you need to because this will help you get better. 

Hi everyone!
I am 30 years old and had a Tonsillectomy three day's ago! I was so nervous.....reading stories on the internet DID NOT help!!! Everyone told me that no one would write on the internet if they had a good experience so I am going to write about my experience because so far it has been GOOD!!! Don't get me wrong there is pain and it's scary to go through....I have never had surgury, but I have had two boy's! I think it helps that I am in great shape and am pre-baby weight, I don't smoke, and I love to run and be active! I find the pain is a lot less if I am hydrated and I sleep beside a humidifier. My Dr. sent me home with T3's and liquid codien as well as antibiotics. I'm still on a liquid diet and today I am noticing that sometimes when I swallow it goes up my nose a little, I'm hoping that will sort it's self out and I think that it will just take some getting used to swallowing without tonsills! I would also avoid any milk products or at least water them down, I find that it gives me a build up of phlem. I'll keep you posted as my scabs come off....not looking forward to that!

Hi fellow tonsil-less friends...
I just had my surgery yesterday at 12pm, so I'm only about 18 hours out and the pain is AWFUL. I had read the posts over the past few weeks on here and was definitely prepared for pain, but there are a few things I was completely unaware of and looking for some answers.
First off... my uvula is HUGE! It is currently hanging down my throat and making it very uncomfortable to breathe, swallow liquids and all the saliva in my mouth, and talking is impossible (which I knew would happen). I was hoping to see if there was anyone else who had this problem with their uvula swelling (mind looks like the size of a thumb, I'm thinking of giving it a name, haha). I'm wondering if there is something I can do for the swelling of it besides the ice I've been eating as well as sleeping with a humidifier which I definitely recommend so far.
Also, the entire back of my throat is black and covered with what appears to be white puss/phlegm. Is it normal for the throat to be black? I was unaware of this and haven't read anywhere on the posts about this and my ENT did not mention anything about this. I know I am not bleeding because I have tried to spit a few times as well as look for blood and there is nothing.
I am considering calling my doctor later this morning because I was given a prescription for liquid percocet and it does not seem to help with the pain at all, it gives me relief for maybe a half hour, at most. Has anyone else had no relief from the percocet and had to have their medicine switched? Luckily, I haven't had any nausea from the medicine which is a good thing!

I'll post again as things get better (fingers crossed) but anyone with advice or answers to my questions I'd appreciate it, thank you!

Hey fellow tonsil-less friends,
just had my tonsils removed on 1/7/09. I read so many online articles about the horrible pain and suffering, post bleeding, emergency room visits afterwards- I was so scared going in.
Day 1- I came out of surgery and went home within a few hours with minimal minimal pain, it felt almost like a very minor sore throat that accompanies a cold. I was shocked as to how well I was doing.

Day 2- My ENT called to check in. informed me that I would be in pain as per the steriods that they give you during surgery/ recovery for the swelling will wear off. I was in bad pain but the tylenol w. codine seemed to help. I started seeing white stuff where my tonsils were.

Day 3- Much more pain!! my throat hurt bad ( not un-tolerable pain just much more than day 1& 2) when I swallowed or tried to eat. I FELT LIKE I WAS CHOKING/SWALLOWING MY OWN UVULA!! It was swollen about 2-3x the normal size and made it hard to swallow. I started taking the tylenol w. codine every 2 hours instead of every 6. It seemed as though it stopped working. Day 3 was by far the worst day as per pain

Day 4- not bad at all. I'm able to eat rice, pasta, mashed potatoes and of course lots of ice cream. I only took my pain meds 1x.
The white stuff still covers where my tonsils once were, i picked at it with a q-tip and it came off a little but I dont want to irritate or stop the healing process.

When does this white stuff go away? I cant seem to find a straight answer?
And "scabs"? are they really scabs or the white stuff?
When does all the pain go away and u start to feel normal?

FEEL BETTER TO ALL WHO ARE ENDURING THE POST -TONSILLECTOMY RECOVERY!!! hope my 4 day story helped lol.
anyone with advice or answers to my questions please post- thanks

HEy everyone! I have been reading this site every since I decided to have mine taken out. Last week I suffered through a whole week with strep throat, I got better than on Sunday I noticed a big knot on my neck it hurt to swallow, so I go to ER and am told I have a abscess on my right tonsil. SO I was admitted given anitbiotics. I work in surgery so one of my surgeons came to check on me and he told me they had to come out. So I went home on Monday cam in on Thur. to have them removed. I was so scared see I am usually assisting my Surgeon on these cases now it was my turn to play the patient. I know what it takes to get those tonsils out, Anyways, I went to sleep dreading the pain, I woke up dreading the pain, and to my coworkers telling me how gross my tonsils was and that they were hugh and hard to get out. My doc used coblater to get my tonsils out it is a newer approach suppose to be less pain faster healing. So anyways after waking up from surgery I was still waiting for the pain. I was taken back to my room I was staying over night.I had got out of surgery aroun 930 back to room by 10. Well all day I waited for the pain, never came just felt like a really bad sore throat. So to ward off any pain around 4 that afternoon I decided to take advantage of my pain meds that was given through my IV. Demerol is a very good drug choice. Well on Friday I came home around 1 and just continued to drink lots of water, some tea,, and gaterade. It is now 4am on sat morning. I slept to long with out sippin on somehing so I woke up to my throat kinda hurting, so I gargled gently in salt water, took some more pain meds tylenol with codine. Drink some gatorade, and fixin to go back to sleep. I hope my not having terrible pain may help somone. I will repost as the days go by. They say the 4 day is the worse so mine will be on Sunday, we will see. So rest, drink water gatorade, gargle gently in salt water, dont get nosy and get a mirror and try to mess with it leave it alone it will heal.(lol)

I had my tonsilectomy 3 weeks ago and im 18 years old, i had also read this site and looked soooo much stuff up about my surgery, the death rate, post operative bleeding and everything, I set my room up before with everything i needed so i would be ready, but i really wasnt ready. I knew the amount of pain would be alot so i was most nervous about that, so night after surgery was fine pain is pain, im was doing okay, so i found that actually warmer food like mashed potatoes and warmer water didnt hurt as much to swallow.

but on day 4 this is what happened to me, i wake up at 5am spitting up tons and tons and tons! of blood.. that goes on in my bathroom for about 30 minutes, i would close my mounth and instantly it would fill with blood, it was really really scary becuase this was my first surgery, so my bleeding just kept going my bathroom looked like a murder scene, i had lost alot of blood, so i got rushed to the hospital and was there by 5:45am, by then the bleeding had kind of stopped but i could really breath cause the blood was all in my mouth, so they put me in a bed and gave me suction, the resident of my surgeon came to see me and looked in my mouth, said he had NEVER seen anything like mine before.. and i STILL dont no what he ment by that, so he gets these tools and literally starts pulling blood clots out of the back of my throat to free up my breathing...so then since i was still in the emerge they brought down these tools to put beside my bed becuase he told me if i bled again, i wouldnt make it to an OR before i bled out of choked on my own blood... THATS SCARY, so i was admitted in to hospital for the night, no food no water nothing,, so it was reallllllllllllllllyyy hard to swallow and alot more pain, they were giving me shots of a strong version of morphine directly in the arm every 4 hours, if anyones had that it burns alot as it goes in so that added to my pain, so next day i went home.. they didnt want to send me but i made them let me go and the only reason I did was becuase i lived 10 minutes from hospital, so no more bleeding
so thats pretty much my horror story, i dont mean to scare anyone but it does happen to 2% of people, (my kind of bleed is 2% because mine was actually a large hemorrage not just a small bleed)..

so heres some other things i noticed about my post-op, first of all i couldnt talk, i asked if i would be able to before i went in and my nurse said yes, i came out and i was talking like i was deaf in both ears, really slow really slurred and they actually had a speech dr come see me in the hospital it was really weird, and i felt as if my pain meds did absolutly nothing for my pain, but if your like me and got strep and tonsilitius once a month then youve already known what pain is, so i have a hard worse pain, that only lasted a few days but this just got annoying cause today i still wake up with a sore sore throat, but it has only been two weeks!

so again, not to scare anyone i just wanted to let you all know! I have a appoitment with my surgeon tommorow morning to see what caused my hemorrage and too see what went wrong during my surgery, but it took an hour and 10 minutes and i had a reaction to medications, i will reply back to let you all know if it was something that triggered it, or if it just happened!

write back soon,
bye

HII everyone,

im on day 7 of my tonsillectomy and thought i would reassure you with a story that isnt quite so scary as the above!!
After the surgery i felt fine and even decided to go to Sainsburys, I think the pain killers must have still be in my system, on day 2 i pretty much felt the same and i was able to eat most foods including having a BBQ- the doctors now recommend you eat hard foods that scrape away debris from the throat to quicken healing time.
On day 3 i had white pus covering my throat which made my breathe stink alsi the pain had got worse and i found it hard to get out of bed, the pain was like a severe case of tonsilitis- athough it was painful I knew it would be worth it in the end and tbh it was unbearable
Day 4 and 5 i was in constant pain and couldnt really eat but forced myself too as i knew it would speed up healing! On day 4 i also developed impetigo which for me happens often but it meant i felt feverish and like i had the flu which made things worse.
on day 6 i felt much better and here i am day 7 feeling even better.... so its not that bad as although the pain is severe its better than getting tonsilitis once a month like i did before! XOXO

Hi! I'm on day 9 of my recovery from the tonsillectomy. It's a pretty bad surgery, and I've had my fair share of hospitalizations and health problems, this is by far the worst. Sleeping is the worst part, I could barely sleep the first few days because I would have a tickle in my throat 99% of the time.
Day 1: not bad at all, the stuff they have you on at the hospital was fabulous and it didn't seem like recovery would be anywhere near as bad as everyone said.
Day 2: came home from the hospital, had an allergic reaction to my pain medication, throat swelled up even more (if that's possible) couldn't swallow at all had to go to the ER.
Day 3: Worst pain ever, because I was no longer allergic to my medication the swelling went down but the pain was unbearable. I would wake up crying because it was so bad and then crying would just make it hurt even worse.

If you survive day 3 you are going to be ok though, so don't worry!! (My surgery was probably worse because I had surgery about a month ago too AND my tonsils were extremely swollen when they operated so I guess they had to cut more out)

I have been on a liquid diet pretty much the whole time. Ginger Ale has been my number one drink of choice, it feels good on my throat surprisingly and slightly cold water (not out of the fridge cold - that just shocked my throat too bad and hurt) Popsicles are amazing and after about a week I tried a fudge-sicle, a little sticky at first but I really like them now. Try to drink broth the first few days, the salt really helps!!

I expect my recovery to take quite awhile and it does suck, but it's worth it, I can already tell.

**Your breath with stink, just a warning.. it's really bad, try to brush your teeth CAREFULLY but that's the only thing that will help at all, it's the scabs that cause the smell and will go down within about 2 weeks, but just a warning, keep your loved ones away from your mouth** haha

Oh, and I've had sever jaw and ear pain during the whole thing, don't worry though, just have a heating pad and wrap it around your head and put frozen peas on your throat, that helps SO much! :-D

I ate pudding, soft scrambled eggs, very soft mashed potatoes, and little itty bitty noodles with broth so far, and I might try something else today but eating has not been my friend. (try eating within an hour or two of your pain medication, it really helps!!)

Feel better to everyone who is recovering from this and good luck to those of you who are going to have it done. Yes, it's horrible and at times you think you won't get through it, but it's worth it (if you have a good supportive boyfriend who loves you even though you look and feel like death, it helps haha)

Hi all, im 5 days into post tonsillectomy and i have had enough! I'm 18 years old and used to ENT pain, i had my adenoids removed when i was nine. I was told that the worst day is the 3rd day however my pain and be horrible since day 2 from now. I was told that theres a 2 week recovery period. My medical people cant seem to make up their minds on telling me what to eat. Some said to eat rough foods such as toast etc.. in order to get rid of any debrey, then today i found out i should have a liquid diet after days of eating hard food! Also i havent found anyone else have this problem on the net but i keep getting food stuck in the caves where my tonsils used to be, and trust me its actually quite an ordeal physically having to remove the food as there is a white healing puss, i often feel faint and rather reluctent to eat, this is just me personally. From reading other peoples reviews i havent seen this. I also vomited the second day :-(

My ADVICE - just before going to sleep and first thing in the morning till about 1 i tend to find the pain is at its worst, best thing to do is brush you teeth ( to get rid of the nasty taste of best as you can, although you will have bad breath and horrible taste either way! ) also you may be given a mouth wash use this again to feel clean and after meal to clean the mouth. Drink plenty of water! Also i would advice staying clear of sweet drinks it does tend to sting slightly. I personally found having a cup of tea was not nice for the first couple of days however its quite relieving now (day 5) however leaves a potent taste.

I was given CoCodemol tablets, anti- inflamitories and mouthwash to take home. Warning Cocodamol gives you either baaad constimpation (like i have) or the runs. I have really bad trapped wind, and without the strength to go to the loo its not a nice combination. However the tablets really take away the pain! is meant to make you drosy but doesnt work with me sadly.

I hope this helps anyone, for adults a tonsillectomy isnt an easy ride seriously, just do what the doctors say, im praying that the pain will all be gone tomorrow, get lots of rest and make the most of being lazy!

I am 14 years old and i just had my tonsils out 5 days ago. The pain was terrible! worse than I could have thought. the pain medicine the doctor gave me did not work what so ever! The only food I felt like eating was applesauce, and popcicles. Besides the terrible throat pain, my tounge swelled up and my jaw felt like someone punched it ! I am starting to feel better each day, but man this surgery was tough! I really hope everyone that has this done is okay, and I hope it is going to be worth it in the long run! :-D I was lucky. I had many people that cared for me in this terrible time ! xoxoox

well, my 12 year old daughter is supposed to have her tonsills taken out 12-22-09. After reading all the horror stories, Iv'e decided I am not putting my child through this torturous hell. If she needed it to save her ilfe, of course I would. But is is an elective surgery. Thank you to everyone for these posts as you have made up my mind.

Hi every one i had my tonsillectomy about 5 days ago. i thout it wuld be nutin but i was wrong the first day eat every thing u can ignor the pain. cuz day 2 comes around and it hurts bad spit will hurt to swollow so keep drinking warm things. spit the plem out dont swolow it it carries blood from the surgery so get it out. day 3 is better if u lasted this long ur fine so get a lot of sleep and drink lots of Hot liqueds it gets rid of the pain oh and the bad breth hahahaha it dosent go away waaaaaaaaaaa un till the scabs are gone so quarentine ur mouth do not brush u will only make it worse hope this helps any one bye :-D

I had my tonsils removed 3 days ago.my throat is black as well with white and yellow-ey areas. I was assured it is normal.i can barley swallow because my uvula is sooooo large.i've been able to drink chix broth, NO MILK!(it made the pain increasingly worse),i tried mashed potatoes which wasn't too too bad.too soon for macaroni, and jello and Popsicles work but stain the white/yellow areas of my mouth whatever color the popsicle is, creating a bit of phlegm as well. I'm 23 and am concerned about the size of my uvula and getting my speech back.im using a program on my laptop to talk to m family-but i waitress and have to get back to work soon.does anyone know what the average time is to get your voice completely back?This sucks. Percocets aren't working. I haven't been able to sleep because I breathe through my mouth while I sleep. anyone have any other advice?I'm sure there's not much you can do...but im tall and skinny-i gotta find something soothing and fattening to eat.I'm losing too much weight.Let me know if you have any suggestions.