I'm a healthy 27 year old man. I've had something which pops in and out under my rib cage for maybe 4 years. I can make it pop when laying on my right side resting on my right elbow, because in this position it feels as though something is pushing out past the ribcage and this is when i can pop it in and it automatically pops out (like tin cap on a bottle).

I always have to adjust how I am sitting because it always feels swollen when i slouch. If I wake up needing to urinate I have a sharp pain there, if I take deep breaths during this time it's like I'm being stabbed with a knife. If i grab the skin around the area and pull on it, I can also make it pop if laying on my right side.

When I drink too much water during a basketball game and get back into the game this area becomes very tender and painful.

I've gotten scans performed but all the doctor was able to tell me is that it must be loose Cartilage. One time the pain was so unbearable that I went to the hospital to have it checked just to find out that I had a fever and incredibly dehydrated, so maybe there is a relation. Also my top right ab is much larger than the rest. I've played sports my whole life. I just want to know if this sounds like something serious or if it is indeed a cartilage issue and I will have to just suck it up.

Thanks,

Salah

sounds like gallstones x

It's only painful when I need to urinate, pain subsides immediately after urinating, and when I drink too much before running, and even then it subsides. During both these times i never feel nauseas. Plus the doctors didn't even mention gallstones. So I don't think it's that. But i really appreciate the response. Seems like a tough one to diagnose. I understand it could be the cartilage but should it hurt when i need to pee and when drinking too much during basketball?