I'm 19 years old, female, and my name is Sarah. The past 2 years I've been suffering from flank pain and back pain just under my right rib cage and around my right shoulder blade, not sure if the two are connected or what the cause is. I've had so many tests done and all have come back normal. I've had ultrasounds, bloodwork, urinalysis, CTs, X-Rays, etc. Every doctor I've seen is clueless or think I'm making it up. For the longest time I thought it was my kidney, but I've already been screened for kidney stones, UTI, and just today I went and had an IVP to check for an obstruction or anything abnormal. And my urologist confirmed that it is in fact NOT the kidney or urinary tract at all. I know sometimes you can miss things, but he's positive it's not that. About the same time this pain started 2 years ago I've had constipation problems pretty frequently and still have it today. Just last month I had a colonoscopy and EGD to make sure it wasn't my bowels with all this constipation, and the gastroenterologist confirmed my bowels are perfectly normal. The flank pain is the worst in the morning after I've been laying all night and when my bladder is full when I wake up, and after I urinate in the morning the pain slowly decreases to a more tolerable level and it feels there is less pressure in the area, but it still aches on and off even with an empty bladder. As the day progresses, that's when the pain radiates up my back to my right shoulder blade, with the worst spot being in between my shoulders on the right side between the right shoulder blade and the spine. When it gets to this point it's impossible to find a comfortable position or sit still. Sometimes I'll lay down and take a nap which will decrease the pain a little bit but when I wake up sometimes I feel really nauseated. I've never thrown up though. Other than the frequent flank pain, shoulder pain, constipation, and nausea I also suffer from chronic fatigue and clouded mind. I feel tired ALL the time. And the past month or two I've had this pinpoint sized spot where I get cramps in the front of my abdomen just below my ribs. Pretty close to the center where my sternum ends, but off to the right side an inch or so. Sometimes it hurts when I take a deep breath, and I have right sided chest pain every now and then too. 

A little bit about my medical history... I've had Rheumatoid Arthritis since I was 18 months old. It was initially diagnosed as Juvenile until I got older and symptoms were still there. So I've thought it could be something to do with that, but the pain is so different than what I was used to having RA growing up. So I don't think it is. And I've been on several different antiinflammatory meds and pain killers, but am currently only taking tramadol 50mg prn. I also have had chronic migraines for the past 2 or 3 years. I have taken meds for that with some relief but am currently not taking anything for migraines anymore. Just dealing with them as they come in nonmedical ways. Just over 2 years ago or maybe a little longer I broke my left wrist snowboarding and sprained the muscles in the left side of my neck. So I've thought maybe it could be a rib or two out of place that they never caught, because when I fell I crashed to the ground from about 7 ft in the air and hit pretty hard. But I'm not sure. I've never had any other breaks or surgeries other than on my teeth(was born with no enamel --- aka amelogenesis imperfecta). 

I used to exercise quite a bit, but the past year or so I've really slowed down because of the chronic fatigue and pain. I eat a pretty normal diet I think, although about 2 and a half years ago I started drinking caffeine and have been drinking it pretty much every day since. Coffee and tea mainly. I used to drink soda growing up, but rarely now and if I do it's always sprite either because I want it or for nausea. But like I said I do drink coffee/tea every day now, sometimes multiple times a day. So idk if that could cause certain problems. I've thought maybe gallstones, and when I had an abdominal CT 3 months back I did see a white spot in the area I'm having pain but my doctor or the radiologist never mentioned it. So I wasn't sure what it was or if they missed it. 

I've also had a bad habit for the last 2 or 3 years of eating whole lemons. Idk how it started but I began craving them and would eat whole lemons, sometimes 3 or 4 at a time. And I used to do this once or twice a month, but now only every couple months. So I'm not sure if all the caffeine intake or the acid from the lemons could cause gallstones? Or other gallbladder problems since my doctors never mentioned gallstones when I had my abdominal CT done. 

If anyone has had similar symptoms and found any kind of results please let me know! I'm desperate. After being told today it is NOT my kidneys or urinary tract at all, and being told it is not my bowls, I am clueless and would like relief from this pain. 

damn I have been suffering with similar symptoms for 3 months now with some time in between where it felt okay. I think it is strained stomach/rib pain, but still not sure as well. Going to physio tomorrow...

Have they checked your galbladder? What did that say?

Hello Sarah I'm sorry to hear of your back problems and wish you well. My name is Kevin and I too suffer from a number of back prblems that you may wish to speak to your doctors about. In 2009 I was diagnosed with degenerative.dic disease of the thorasic spine, and spinal stenosis of the cervical spine. The problems I.experience because of these conditioms are shoulder pain,and pain that runs from the center of my lower back up the right cage, and breath taking pain behind my right shoulder blade. I do not wish to be the bringer of gloom and doom, but kf you have not done so already, have an MRI of your sntire spine done. If it shows any nerve compression then follow up with a nerve conduction test to pinpoint the exact problem. Keep in mind I was a forklift operator, not a doctor. I can only make the recommendations based on my own experience. Again I wish you well. If you find this helpful or wish to discuss this further,

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

This is exactly what I have been dealing with for over a year. All I can tell you is I have had loads if tests my gall bladder and appendix removed and nerve blocks on my back none of which helped. I am almost positive it is a torn muscle that won't heal because of its location. If you have any success please let me know

This sounds like gallbladder problems which may or may not have caused pancreas problems by now. I'm dealing with the same thing right now. Look up symptoms for those 2 problems and a lot is going to match what you described. I had an ultrasound 4 days after my pain went away with the first episode and nothing showed up...i think the gallstone had passed. Now i'm having more of the same kind of issues. It doesn't always have to be a gallstone. your gall bladder could not be functioning right or it may have developed into pancreas problems. im not a doctor. i just know ive been going through the same things, and my mom had gall bladder issues and had it removed. not ony is it hereditery but she went through the same things i am.

Hi Sarah, I have exactly the same pains and for me it's been going on for about 2 years as well. So far they haven't been able to find anything athough I haven't had all the same tests done as you have since my doctor always told me there was nothing wrong with me. They've only done a blood test, test for urinary infections plus a pelvic and abdominal ultrasound. Oh and they did test for my bowel function as well. The pelvic utrasaound I had first as my pain kind of started at the lower right side of my abdominal. Really strange as it now more radiates to my right side, back and schoulder blade like you mentioned. I'm currently 6 months pregnent so they won't do a CT scan so have to wait till after the delivery. So I guess you could think the pain more thifted upwards because of the baby but that already started before I got pregnant. But very curious to see what it could be in you case. It sounds stupid but it was good to read your story as I now know that i'm not the only one suffering with these strange pains. All the best and keep us posted! Also if anyone has any other idea what this could be, I would love to know!

Hello are you still connected to this? I have the same thing going on with me. I can hardly function anymore. I'm a 25 yo female with no children. Please respond if still around.

Hi Sarah, I've read your post and I've had a lot of the same symptoms, feel.like my immune system had gone massively downhill too. I've had Cut scans, ultrasounds, xrays, hundreds of blood tests, colonoscopy, endoscopy, Mrs scans for the headaches and even been referred to a pain doctor and yet they can't seem to find out what's wrong.

Mine started after I had my lunch at work, just thought I had a dodgy stomach and it gradually got worse over time but like yourself I'm convinced it my kidney. Have you had any luck with what it could be? Hope you're doing okay.

Also I'm a male, 30yo and usually fit and healthy, I've lost over 2 stone.

Have an xray of your neck....Nerve impingement...

I've been suffering from the same pain you have described on the back right side near my rib cage , I have been told by the doctor I have injured my muscle , I have had a xray done two day's ago , not received my reports , when I take a deep breath it hurts on the right side of my rib cage , it feels like their is something wrong with my rib cage ,maybe a slipped rib , ive had this problem almost for two months, around that area its hard and tensed had it massaged couple of times , used cold ice pack for couple of days then hot water bottle pain has gone less but still not fully recovered.

I had the same issue. For me it ended up being pancreatitis.