I was diagnosed 2 years ago with Morbus Basedow, 1 year ago I had it totally removed (was 5 times larger then normal and had grown around my spine). I am now on Euthyrox 200 and have been for the last 6 months %-)
I have a few questions and a cry for help:

1) Should I (or not) eat iod, I just love salted food ?
2) What vitamine should/shouldnt I take as a supplement
and the cry
How can I loose weight, Since the op. I have gained about 15 kg (30 pounds) I am hardly eating because I am scared to gain even more, I drink between 2-4 l of water a day, I exercise moderately!!! :'(

I live in Switzerland, and after the op you are left with your house doctor.

Hope someone can help me and thank you in advance

ermaanni

PS. A tip for anyone with the "thyroid eyes", I use once a day a creme for Haemorrhoids (without menthol etc) and the black rings and the bags are gone (no surgery needed). :-D

Morbus Basedow (exophthalmic goiter, Graves disease) is an autoimmune disease where the body's immune system attacks the thyroid, causing it to produce excessive amount of thyroxine. Since your thyroid gland is completely removed, whether or not iodine is harmful to you is no longer an issue. Yes, iodine in salted food is alright to eat. However, excessive salt consumption can cause water to accumulate in your body, causing you to gain water weight. You can lose this excess water weight by using diuretics. Grapefruit juice is a natural diuretic that you can try at home. Drink two glasses of grapefruit juice, or eat two large grapefruits everyday. You can also ask your house doctor to prescribe you stronger diuretics. Euthyrox should be taken on an empty stomach. If you consume it with food, the drug effects would have been greatly reduced, causing you to gain weight.
It is a great pleasure to hear from someone from Switzerland. I visited Europe many years ago. Beautiful countryside. Wilkommen Sie.