Hi my name is Faye im 34 years old i found a lump in what i thought was my throat in October 06. The reason i found it was id cryed over a film and the sensation you have when holding back tears "lump in your throat" never went away. I first visited A&E they told me to see my doctor as they thought i may have a thyroid problem. My doctor was absolutely excellent he sent me for thyroid function tests immediately in a week after they came back as normal he referred me to a specialist, though i had to wait 6 weeks for my appointment with him. On my first visit he felt the lump in my neck and said that there was a few possibilities one of which was cancer the other possiblility was a cyst, i was to be referred for an ultra sound scan and a fine needle biopsy. As you can imagine i was horrified at this thought but felt a little comfort in the fact this cancer is very rare i didnt meet any of the criteria that would put me in the danger group i.e i was not over 45 never been in contact with any form of radiation not in my family . The day of my scan another specialist attended he took the cells needed to study and on inspection of the scan said it was a single nodule around 2cm and solid. In november 06 as i entered my specialists office with my partner he had his head down as we walked in greeted us but never actually looked me in the eye so i kinda new what was coming he told me he was sorry but the results came up with the likelyhood that it was a follicular adenoma that i had got carcinoma of the thyroid gland is now April 07 and after 2 operations the first to remove the tumor which on removal was 4cm the right hand side of my thyroid the second op has removed the rest of my gland and my lymph nodes if you are concerned whatever age sex or situation your in please go see your gp these cancers can be treated but early discovery can be the key im still awaiting radio iodine treatment so im not out of the woods yet but i can see the light threw the trees i hope my post can help someone going through the same thing your not on your own :-)

[Hello, I just wanted to say that you are not alone, I had and still have thyriod problems, I also have had the radio iodine done, it wasnt scarey but everything you have to do after having it done makes you feel strange, ie: washing hands not petting your pets, sleeping in a different bed other then with your husband, etc... my problem now is losing weight, i was so used to be thin and now i can not loose any weight for the life of me, good luck to you!