Hello, good people. I had a malignant tumor on my thyroid gland. I had to take it out. After my thyroid removal, I was recommended a low iodine diet. I would like to know why this is so. Can anyone fill me in with details? I would appreciate if anyone could help me with this. Thank you in advance.

Hi, there. It is logical that you have been offered low iodine diet. Most of iodine is collected by thyroid. They are used for synthesis of thyroid hormones. Since you don’t have thyroid gland, you need less iodine. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the details of this diet. You should discuss this with your endocrinologist or nutritionist. They will make your diet details. Good luck! Bye!

Hallo,
I am not sure why is this done but I can give you some guidelines about the food that you can use in your low iodine food. For instance you can’t use iodized salt or sea salt, you will have to buy non iodized salt. You will have to avoid all dairy products, so no milk or any milk product can be using in your diet. It is interesting that you can’t use foods or medications that have red food dyes. Also you will have to avoid soy products and chocolate during your treatment. I think that your therapy will use radioactive iodine treatment method and there for you will have to avoid foods that contain iodine.