When my daughter started coughing with some strange sounds of gurgling and whistling that looked like throat clearing I took her immediately to the clinic to see what sort of allergic reaction she was having. However, it turned out that she suffers from tourette’s syndrome. What I would like to know is what causes these tics, are they heredity… because nobody in our family has ever had it, and if there was a way to control them? Thank you in advance!

Hello, eventhought it is not known what causes Tourette’s Syndrome, it is said that there is a hereditary component to Tourettes. Some researchers believe that there may be abnormalities of the brain or the brain’s neurotransmitters. They can not be controlled, but children may be able to suppress tics for short periods of time, and they could come back as well. If the syndrome is not disruptive to a child’s life no treatment is necessary or recommended. But, there are medications like Clonidine, Risperdol, and Haldol but do they have strong side effects. A large number of children will see an improvement in symptoms or a complete disappearance of tics upon reaching adulthood.

key words for search: Tourette Syndrome, B6 dependency, allergy