Hi, my sister had tram flap surgery a year ago, and now she is having complications, and I am worried if she will have to remove it for her own good.

Hi, I had tram flap done after doctor explained me it was better for me than mastectomy. But, he didn’t ask me if I had any bowel problems or with other pelvic organs. I was interested in other methods but they told me this one would suit me best. Now, I realize that doctors only wanted many from insurance for the surgery. It is the rectus muscles, which hold in the bowels and support the spine that is attached to the breast to replace extorted tissue. Risks such as hernias, fat necrosis, asymmetry of the abdomen, and possible spreading of cancer cells to pectoral muscle are not to be neglected before this surgery.

I had a tram flap procedure done in 1992 and have lived with it for 10 years. I constantly get swelling under the created breast where the abdominal muscle is folded. It usually happens at the end of the work day. I have been moving around for 8 hours or more. I appear to be at least 6 months pregnant by the end of the day. Not sure what is causing this very uncomfortable feeling in my mid body but I suspect it is the surgery that was going to give me a tummy tuck! If you have the same problem please please let me know. I don't know who to call on for help with this situation.

i have the same story. i would appraiate any information you can give me. im a single mother whos twins just grauated. and moved out of the home. i worked all my life. now i have very little income and no heath insurance. thank you so much . vicki

ok i came on here with some similiar problem as you candice but i just had the tram flap in march 2012. mabe i'm a little early in to be too concerned. its just that the muscles folded under my new breast especially the right one are bulges almost as big as my new boobs. i cant wear a bra because by the end of the day the folded muscle is swollen and painful. i do have a little bulge above my stomach incision but not too bad and it helps to wear a panty girdle. i still give out very easy and that is definitely not me. but its 4 months mabe i'm worried to early. after reading about everyone else i feel a little stupid but i have gotten where i dont trust my (god) doctor. :0) funny how they treat you afterwards.

Hi there,

I had a trans flap since 2003 and felt I should respond to your posts.  I originally posted a message about my condition a year ago on this site, explaning my complications.  I am so sorry I had this procedure done.  I normally wear a sign 10 or 12, now my waist is size 16 and it will never be small again.  I look like I'm preganant but I'm 67 yrs old.  I can't get into any of my clothes and need to keep buying bigger size.  My stomach swells up after eating and I retain gas which makes it difficult to move around.  the Dr. says I have a hernia and need an operation, and that there is scar tissue growth where the surgery was and when I lay down, it looks like a loaf of bread on the right side of my stomach - it's the hernia and scar tissue.  You cannot UNDO, the transflap surgery, as the veins and muscles have grown together, I tried to look into this.  The Dr. cannot do liposuction to remove the fat under the muscles of my stomach, so I'm sort of stuck with the situation.  I tell every woma who has a masectomy, DO NOT HAVE THE TRANS FLAP PROCEDURE, yes, its quick and safe but there are long term complications.  My niece had the older but less long term complications process of the breast stretchers done to reconstruct her breast and it did not alter her waist size - yes the full reconstructions took almost a year to do, but at least her body's shape wll not be lost.

Please take my advice and don't do this procedure....it's too painful after 5-10 years.

Sharon

CANDICE: I HAD TRAM FLAP PROCEDURE DONE IN OCT. IM HAVING PROBLEMS WITH SORENESS ON MY RIGHT SIDE WHERE HE SAYS MESH IS...WHEN I WALK IT IS VERY SORE. I WOULD SAY YOUR SWELLING IS NOT NORMAL AND YOU NEED TO SEE YOUR DR,REGARDLESS OF MONEY...ITS YOUR RIGHT....

Great I'm getting a mastectomy and tram flap done on Tuesday :( That totally sucks. I thought I'd done all the research. Wish I would've come across your site sooner.

Tran flap surgery should not be done to any lady!! I had my surgery in March 2012, and just has a to repair on a hernia. My stomache does not buldge any more, but I still have the tightness and cannot do things like I used to. I have to wear a binder every day, if not I am so uncomfortable. None of this was told to me. Such a nightmare!! Hope if anyone is wanting this that you make sure you read as much as you can.

Hello all.I had a TRAM-flap(bilateral)done in '93(after subcut. mast,and multiple ,various implant surgeries..no cancer..but large,mult. fast-growing tumors).Have now had a total of 14 chest surgeries,by the way)I was very thin and a smoker at the time.Everyone whose name I'd been given as a resources had negative healing results.However,I had it done none the less.Note:I worked in medicne till '91,at which time I became disabled after all the implants(legally they were "not the cause"..but let's just say I went from healthy to a long list of progressive/chronic illnesses.),and was already on narcotics, causing chronic constipation.I've gone from 100 to 145 lbs,which went to my chest and backside(lol..sorry).It is difficult to find many long term patients of this proceedure,I know,and am pleased to find y'all here.Anyway,one of the biggest problems for me has been:progressive scarring inside my chest wall.This progressed for 10yrs.,causing me to have card. caths(x2),GI studies,and more,just to rule out other diagnosis.2 years ago,my plastic surgeon(one of the country's best,I am blessed)finally chose to basically scrape my chest wall,and submit mult. biopsies.She did about 75% of the scarring/chest area.She did not think this would help,but there were no other options.I was in pain after using my arms,feelingl like I was being squeezed!There was indeed a Lot of scar tissue and mult. neuromas found.Let me say that I was thrilled to have relief(and doc was surprised)for about 8 mos.I even lowered my morphine(same dose x10yrs!)in half shortly prior to the problem resurfacing.Now,as it returns,quickly it seems,there don't seem to be any further answers.Pain mgnt(due to new drug laws here in Fla.)won't raise rx's,and even with steroidal injections to my chest last month,the relief was sort-acting.Oh,did I mention I'm now allergic to the injections?(as I am to most everything other than the 2 narcotics I've taken for many years).I am sorry this is so long,but,though the surgery itself(TRAM)was a success,the long term results are not.I do not usually offer my experience/research(due to being sick,and cannot always follow through with answers),but if anyone else has these problems,please feel free to contact me.I believe we need a support network...Just a thought from a Grandmom...(G-Mom Fern for short.LOL).In the meantime,please know all are in my prayers.I see no value in this proceedure,for any reason,by the way.

PS-The "Good news"is I get to educate many of my docs/nurses re:TRAM..the "Bad news"is..I have to educate most of my docs/nurses re:TRAM flap..

God Bless

A friend of mine had a tram flap surgery 4 years ago with complications of infection from the beginning. She ended up with another plastic surgeon who repaired the "damage" from the first plastic surgery. Now for the 4th time she has developed a red rash, high fever all around the tram flap site. She's been on multiple antibiotics and is now hospitalized to see what this could be. Anyone have any similar experience or information would be greatly appreciated.

Joyce,
I just had a Tran flap surgery on April 16, 2013 and I am experiencing times when my stomach is extremely tight. It happens often as the day goes by. In the mornings, I feel okay, but after about 4:00 p.m., I feel like I need to walk bent over to avoid the pain associated with the tightness. My doctor says my body just need time to heal. Can you please share some of your experiences with me?

Sorry to hear about your sister. I also had a tram flam done in 2009, my one breast split and was a problem for quite a while, but finally did clear up. I had to have reduction surgery 6 months later since the original plastic surgeon was a quack! That went well, and I have been fine until the last 4 months. I have developed a mystery rash that comes and goes over times. It causes me to feel like I have the flu, fever .back pain and headache. Bright red rash all over my torso. Seems to follow most of my scars from tram flap. I have been hospitalized and seen numerous Dr.s and no one seems to be able to diagnose this issue. It has reoccurred 6 times now since March '13. I am on Doxicycline twice a day to try and control whatever this is. I feel it is related to this surgery, but most do not agree. I also get severe tightening in my abdomen that I have now been told is a form of lymphodemia....like some women get in their arms after mastectomies. I am trying to find anyone who has had similar rash and maybe get a diagnosis.

I just had this procedure done 2 weeks ago and have the same tightness in upper abdomen under tight breast that worsens as the day goes by. I also have had leakage from my bellybutton. Worry a little more since finding this sight! Wondering if I made the right choice. I thought I had researched enough!

tram flap option... I'm not positive of the initials for the other procedure but it is something like:DREM flap or similar. it's been done for a number of years and many doctors with no longer TRAM flaps. I think it's something everyone should check into as a choice. ps. I accidentally I'm subscribed tonight...lol.. going to try to fix that!