Hi, I need info concerning tram flap vs silicone implants, which one are better to be inserted. I need info!

Hi, if you are having mastectomy, you can also have breast reconstruction. In most cases implants and flaps can be performed. A method called transverse rectus abdominis myocutaneous (TRAM) flap-based reconstruction is performed by plastic surgeon. TRAM stands for the transverse rectus abdominis muscle, which is located in the lower abdomen, between the waist and the pubic bone. TRAM is the most popular technique, as it reduces quantity of fat in the belly. Abdominal tissue is more natural than silicone for anyone touching you.

Hello there Isenberg,

If you want to put any implants into your breasts than I believe it is best to consult your doctor. Probably never knows the main cause of your decision so no one can give you right answer. And your doctor is the one who knows your body and he can determine what is best for you.

Also if this is something you are doing just because of your looks I would say that you don’t need to improve your breasts but your self-confidence. My sister in law has implants and I don’t like them. And after few months her husband has stopped noticing them as well. So think twice before you do this. Anyhow, good luck with everything.

THE FLAP SURGERY IS AWFUL AND I ENDED UP HAVE TO HAVE THE SILICONE ANY WAY BEAUSE I LOST SO MUCH TISSUE BECAUSE OF THE AWFUL ROTTING OF THE FLESH AFTER THE SURGERY. THEY NHAD TO CUT AWAY THE DEAD TISSUE AND CLEAN THE WOUNDS. THE DOCTOR TOLD MY HUSBAND AND ME THAT I WOULD GET A TUMMY TUCK IN THE DEAL TOO. WRONG MY STOMAH LOOKS AWFUL AND STICKS OUT ON ONE SID WITH A HARD KNOT ROLL. USE THE SILICONE OR I THING THE HAVE SALINE IMPLANTS NOW TOO. I HAVE NEVER TALKED TO ANY ONE WHO WAS HAPPY. PATTY

I'm only about 3 weeks out of tram surgery. I was told fromthe get go that I should do the tram. I decided to do expanders and an exchange about 1 year later due to I also had to do radiation. What a mistake ! I thought I would do the least invasive. My Dr's told me that I wasn't going to like the results and they were right. I ended up doing the TRAM because my body was rejecting my implant-- it was getting hard as a rock from the scar tissue and I was itchy from the inside out-- you can only live on benadryl for so long. The surgery was long and I was told that recover would be tough. After 10 1/2 hours, hundreds of stitches and 36 hrs in recovery, I was up and walking around the nurses station. While I get tired very easily, I have shopped, cooked and started picking up the pieces of my life.  This is SO MUCH better feeling then the implant. For the first time in over a year, I'm comfortable-- it doesn't feel like I have a rock on my chest wall. I also was told that this was NOT a tummy tuck and not to expect to look like I had one. I looked at hundreds of pictures at my hospital and had a team that was up front and honest, I pretty much knew what it was going to look like and it wasn't going to be perfect. Before I asked questions, they were already giving me answers. I am being treated at Memorial Sloan Kettering, they do hundreds of these a year, I think that is important. You need to research your doctors as much as the procedure. This isn't a walk in the park-- you will feel like you got hit by a truck and it backed over you for good measure. By the second week, you will start feeling more like yourself. My dr's are extremely happy with my recover and have told me to slow down a bit. I have another friend that also did this, while her immediate recovery was a bit slower then mine, she is doing wonderful. Two years after surgery she did the NYC Marathon and this year will climb MT Kilimanjaro-- 3 1/2 years later ! I only hope I do as well as she-- BTW we are both 57 and I was never all that athletic :) PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE research your dr's-- how many do they do a year, what is the post-op procedures (you should be checked with a doppler every hour), how many failures and why did they fail, ask to speak to other patients, what kind of tram is this going to be-- a diep, a pediculed, muscle sparing, free ect.