Hi! I have a large rectocele. My doctor advises me to go to surgery. I’m not sure it’s a good idea. I’m afraid. I don’t know anything about this surgery. Please, can somebody who had the same problem as me, tell me something more about it. How is rectocele surgery performed? Thank you!

Usually large rectoceles require surgery to push up the rectum away from the vagina and support it. Then it will stay in a normal position. The surgery is done under general or regional anesthesia. It is performed through the vagina when the back wall of vagina is opened. You should get up soon after surgery.

I just had Rectocele surgery with a TVT 1/12/2009. No problems. Pain was somewhat significant, but well handled in the hospital and at home with Vicodin and Motrin. So far so good. Go for it.

I had rectocele surgery on January 21, 2009 and was scared to death after reading all of the info on line. I had the surgery done on a Wednesday and came home the following day. I had a general anesthetic and when I woke up I had a catheter and packing in me which was removed before I came home the following day. I have not had to take any pain medication and feel wonderful! I was worried about having a bowel movement, but did not have a problem. My doctor recommended I take Metamucil on a regular basis. I have a sit down job so my doctor said I could return to work on Monday (13 days after surgery) with restrictions (no stairs, no lifting, etc...)
I was amazed at how well everything went. I thought that I wouldn't be able to sit and be uncomfortable because of the episitomy, but nope - the only thing that was a little uncomfortable was my behind (right down by my anus) as that is where she stitched the mesh to hold everything in tact.

hi there i have just being diagnosed with the same problem. so far i have had a total hysterectomy back in May 2008 and then in December had TVT for my bladder. i have being informed that if i went ahead with the operation that it would only last a few years and may need to be repeated. were you advised of this at any time before your operation. as i am not sure whether to go ahead with it.

Did you have the surgery done vaginal or abdominal? If vaginal did it burn to urinate?
Thank you

I have had 2 previous rectocele repairs now. The first one was in 2000, the second one which was more involved and included sphincter repair, prolapse, rectoplasty and I forget the other one that was performed in 2004. My problems all stem from a vaginal delivery with a large baby and several abdominal surgeries later. I have the prolapse back, larger than previously. I also have some rather large internal hemorrhoids that have recently caused extremely painful cramping because I am unable to defecate. My friend is going to the Quote:

FLEETS

until I can get in to get these issued resolved. I'm praying that technology has developed enough that this will be the last time I will have to go through this. I constantly eat high fiber foods (even Activia, Fiber One products), and as time goes on, it seems it takes more and more fiber to get the same results of passing than it did say even 2 years ago. :( I just got the call for my appointment to see the new surgeon. He recommends Fleet and Miramax until this Monday. Wow! :(

I have just been diagnosed with rectoceal. I had to go through a series of test in Standford because, where I live that type of testing doesn't exsist. I have to under go the same surgery but mine is reconstrctive surgery is that the same type of surgery that is being talked about? I don't really no much only that it is slighty different.

I have digestive problems a extended abdomen and difficulty having to eficate.
My question is this type of suregery different than the reconstructive suregery.

I am going to have a rectocele repair myself but since I am only 28 the doctor dosnt want to use mesh in me. I am not sure what to expect and i am wondering what my recovery time will be. He is doing it thru the rectum and not thru the vagina. Has anyone heard of i being done this way?

I had a rectocele repair done in May 2009, because I am only 43 the doctor didnt want to use mesh and instead did the repair and strengthened the wall with my own tissues, sadly I have had to make an appointment to go back as my surgery which was just over a year ago has just failed. I was happy to not have used the mesh and if I have to have surgery again i will be still hoping he will try the repair without the mesh. Has anyone had surgery done this way and it has lasted ????

I WOULD LIKE TO LEARN ALL ABOUT THE RECTOCOELE SURGERY. FROM BEGINNING TO END.SO I WILL KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT.

? WHAT AM I GETTING MYSELF IN FAR??

I am seeing my gyno on Monday for my yearly and will be discussing my rectocoele that he found last appt. It bothers me when I have a bowel movement as I need to "help" most of the time. Has anyone had this problem???
How long did it take you to get back to normal activities?? I think he will do the surgery vaginally .... Is it normal to have a catheter afterwards...any ?'s I should ask BEFORE the surgery...any info will be appreciated!

I have just been diagnosed with this, I had a total hysterectomy in sept, however this problem was pre-existing (I ignored it,thinking it would be resolved) Would really like to know how it is perforemed,outcome,and diagnostics that are involved,also how long the expected hospital stay will be ? any info soooooo appreciated! :-( x

I am scheduled for rectocele surgery on July 27 using the da Vinci robotic instrument and a possible incision for a bladder mesh sling. I had a bladder lift and pelvic muscle tightening in Sept. 2010. I want this to be my final pelvic surgery. I find that elevating my feet often and wearing support panties help, but I need this surgery. Please send me any advice or support you can offer.