Hello! I am going to undergo abdominalplasty in a month and I was told that there should be no complications, and if they were any, they wouldn’t be severe. I am more than keen to hear about people’s experience with abdominalplasty. Thank you

I don’t know who told you that but I suffered quite a lot. It is true that these were not severe, life-threatening complications but were still uncomfortable. I was in so much pain that ibuprofen wouldn’t help me. The biggest problem I had at the area around the scar. It lasted for weeks. I was all swollen and felt like a balloon. Also, my labia got swollen, which was unexpected. I was bruising and bleeding. Two months after the surgery were the worst two months in my life.

After 10 + years wishing I could have my abdomen looking un-like an 85 year old on my 35 year old body, doing sit ups with no results, then not being able to do sit ups after a car accident, I decided to just go for it where I have never asked for anything in my life and always giving to others. I have a Care Credit credit card, which has a wicked low interest rate that I'm paying about $130.00 per month for my surgery. In my eyes, it dawned on me that if I needed to go to Wal-Mart to get something for the house, I wouldn't even hesitate so why am I hesitating on taking care of myself? My husband was too chicken to have a vasectomy, so after my second child I had my tubes tied...which left a nasty scar, leaving me very insecure about the way I looked. He insisted I looked fine, but it wasn't about him now was it? lol
So, here I am 2 1/2 weeks later and I'm feeling really good other than I've been having trouble breathing. I had my follow up app. today and my doctor is very concerened with that. She felt my legs for blood clots and asked if I've had cramps in my legs, which I did about a week and a half ago but thought it was just because of the pillows under my knees all the time when I was sitting and sleeping. I didn't understand why she was so worried because I thought it was normal after a major surgery. I get out of breath rather quickly just doing laundry. I tried doing yard work, but that didn't last long. I thought it was just my body having to work extra hard to get back into shape....or to atleast stand up straight! lol I have to be seen by my family physician tomorrow to make sure I'm alright. Here is what I found on a this web site that I think they could be worried about, which I'm now freaking out over:
"Pulmonary Thromboemboli is quite rare but very serious. A thromboebolus is a blood clot and this blood clot can break free and travel to the lungs resulting in pulmonary Thromboemboli. This can put a patient into adult breathing distress and subsequently into cardiac arrest or coma - leading to the patient becoming 'brain dead' shortly thereafter or in a vegetative state from loss of oxygen to the brain. Pulmonary Thromboemboli can happen within three (3) weeks of the surgery but will most likely show symptoms of shortness of breath and fatigue within the first 72 hours. However, pulmonary Thromboemboli can occur suddenly, without warning. Most patients with P.E. (not to be confused with pectus excavatum) collapse and begin rapid deterioration after attempting to climb a flight of stairs. You can lessen the risk of Thromboemboli by beginning moderate exercise or at least walking as soon as possible. This prevents blood clots from forming. "

I don't know if my breathing trouble is from a side effect to anesthesia, medication, or the pulmonary thromboemboli mentioned above. Not knowing is very stressful.

So, there you have it. I'm 35, was not over weight, just wanted to get rid of that 'old lady skin'. Now, I'm praying to God that I'll be alright and hoping to grow old (with old lady skin now) and watch my children grow up! Before I found out that shortness of breath was an issue, I had no regrets at all. I was happy and proud that I did it finally, I don't have to think about it anymore, it's done. I will find out tomorrow if I have taken an unneccessary risk. :-(

Anesthesia will kick the c**p out of you, so expect to stay over night at the hospital. You should even if you don't want to, even if you think you can handle things at home fine without help. Don't be stubborn like I tried to be! Accept the help.

Going to the bathroom with the drains in was a trip. I highly suggest if you go through with this procedure to try and time it so you won't have your period anytime the drains will be in (1 week). I have irregular periods, so I couldn't plan that nice surprise. lol It's really a pain in the butt to go to the bathroom with the drains, but worse trying to change a pad around the drains. Oh so fun.

You will have to wear a "compression garment", aka: a Girdle, for at least 3 weeks. I wear underwear under mine to save on laundry with washing the girdle. Grannie Panties are good for this, Haines Her Way works.

If you have back or neck issues, it's going to be challenging and physically demanding on you walking. Your stitches will be wanting to pull you close to the floor. lol It's your job to keep your balance and get where you need to go.

I still can not sleep any other way besides on my back with 3 pillows behind my back (I started with 5 so this is good now) and 2 pillows under my knees. It feels like a comfortable hospital bed, but I use to sleep on my stomach quite a bit so it's a bit frustrating for me. If you try and lay on your side too soon, it will feel like gravity is working against you and like your stitches are going in two different directions.

You will feel physically and mentally exhausted. You'll probably want to do things you normally do around the house and get frustrated that you just physically can't. Your mind will go faster than your body is ready for.

You can not drive for one week, so make sure you have grocery shopping all done...with extra milk and water!

Drink lots of water! Walk as much as you can as soon as possible like your doctor tells you.

These are the little things that you should expect that you may or may not hear from your doctor. I hope all of this information can help someone out there in some way.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

I had an abdominoplasty done 7 years ago. My lower abdomen is flat however, my doctor destroyed my sex life. I also had
a thigh lift and she cut too much skin and pulled up the lower abdomen which now has displaced my vaginal opening! My advice is
not to do any plastic surgery ever!! Your own skin is more beautiful even if there is more of it. Plastic surgery is supposed to be about aesthetics.. I had to have additional sugery because my abdominal incision opened up and left a large hole in my abdomen which
had to be repaired. My upper abdomen under my breasts is flabby and I can tell you this was the worst decision of my life!

Love yourself the way you are... or be consistent and lose the weight... We are expecting doctors to do everything right and they don't!

I would NOT recommend any plastic surgery to anyone ever!!1

I almost died from my surgery. The drain tubes were left in for 14 day's, one was blocked and the other had so much thick dark blood coming out I could hardly stand draining it. Then the infection set in, mrsa, another skin infection... All the while this Doctor was telling me I was fine and everything was in my head. I have since gained 35lbs and feel sick every other week. All my energy is drained and I just hate myself for having this surgery and doing this to my family. Being a single mom, it has been really difficult.

Abdominalplasty surgery is one of the most painful surgeries I've had to deal with. Unfortunately, the mesh has stretched and has tears. I was able to get to a 36 inch waist now with the extended stomach from mesh complications I now have a 42 inch waist. Like others it took a long time to recover, now I'm looking at more surgery to repair the mesh, I have to have a hernia repair with abdominal reconstruction to pull my muscles back in front of the abdominal wall. I was told the abdominalplasty was a piece of cake compared to what I'm fixing to undergo.    Knowing what I know now, I wouldn't advise this surgery unless you've had a tremendous weight loss and needing the surgery. I can tell you it was medically necessary for my abdominalplasty after losing 221 pounds, but, just for recreational surgery. I would not advise it. For, my personal needs, I'm thankful for having it, but it was pure hell the first six months.  Think really hard before you decide.

Uhm.. There are some major complications that could arise!  I'm 2weeks post op and I had to be rushed back into surgery . Had a large hematoma that had to be evacuated. And had to have 4 units of blood!  It was no fault of the surgeon just a complication that could happen ! Still very swollen everywhere even my labia! And still have a drain left in. Hopefully in  couple days it will be gone! Don't  think I would have do e it if I could see in time!

What ever happened, are you ok now? I had my TT on 12-14 n im having issues with breathing now, would really like to know if all turned out of for you? Please respond to me, i would really appreciate it alot!!

Thanks
Lynda

Try this doctor's Tummy Tuck FAQs (If they will let me post it) 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use