My doctor ordered a TSH test because I have symptoms of hyperthyroidism. Also my thyroid gland is enlarged, which definitely required TSH test. I guess it may be ordered at regular intervals to monitor the effectiveness of treatment. That will happen when I will be treated for a known thyroid disorder. Until then, I want to know what kind of results I could get of this TSH test.

A high TSH result often means an underactive thyroid gland that is not responding adequately to the stimulation of TSH. It could be due to some type of acute or chronic thyroid dysfunction. Rarely, a high TSH result can indicate a problem with the pituitary gland. This problem is such as a tumor producing unregulated levels of TSH, which is known as secondary hyperthyroidism. A high TSH value can also occur when patients with a known thyroid disorder. A low TSH result can indicate an overactive thyroid gland, which means that is hyperthyroidism. Also it means excessive amounts of thyroid hormone medication in those who are being treated for an under-active thyroid gland. Rarely, a low TSH result may indicate damage to the pituitary gland that prevents it from producing adequate amounts of the TSH. Whether high or low, an abnormal TSH indicates an excess or deficiency in the amount of thyroid hormone available to the body. It does not indicate the reason why that happened. An abnormal TSH test result is usually followed by additional testing to investigate the cause of the increase or any decrease.