I've just learned that low basal body temperature may indicate hypothyroidism. I'm 48 and have many symptoms such as low energy, a fairly severe loss of hair, brittle nails, edema, confusion and depression. Two days ago, my temperature was 92.6 and it has been averaging slightly under 95 F. The thermometer is accurate because I used it to take my daughter's and husband's temperature and theirs was close to 98.

hey hun, you sound like a hypothyroid, but have your Dr. do some tests to monitor your TSH and free T3 and free T4 levels. I know it's like two years late but I hope this helps.

Hi there,
If your thyroid is not producing enough of the thyroid hormone then you most likely have hypothyroidism. When have you notices these abnormalities in your temperature? The symptoms that you have listed like low energy, hair loss and brittle nail all point out to hypothyroidism. The best option for you would be to see a doctor and run a physical test at the hospital. If the test shows smaller gland then normal then you definitely have this condition. I think that you will then need to start a hormone replacement therapy. If I am not wrong here, the therapy can last several months but you can easily stay on it for the rest of your life.