My nose has been twitching for the last several days, similar to an eye twitch. It is not the nostril itself, but it is on the left side right below where glasses would sit. I don't know why it is doing this, but it is driving me crazy. Can you tell me why?

Hello there! How old are you? Your nose twitching reminds me of the motor tics that usually involve different tics like blinking, shrugging, grimacing and nose-twitching. Some people experience problems with vocal tics, which may be even more frustrating because they make meaningless sounds and noises like grunting, tongue-clicking, or throat-clearing. Have you noticed any other tic problems?

This disorder is called Tourette's Disorder and is usually diagnosed in early childhood but it can be seen later at the age of 18. This is why I asked about your age!

A person who is diagnosed with Tourette's Disorder has involuntary motor and/ or vocal tics. These tics may come and go and at different points involve different parts of body. Sometiems it can be face, neck, shoulders, trunk, or hands. The tics may differ in frequency and severity.

Besides Tourette's Disorder, there are other tic disorders like Transient Tic Disorder in which the tics occur every day for at least two weeks but never longer than one year and they are usually mild and hardly noticeable. Then there are Chronic Motor/Vocal Tics that appear before age 21. This disorder involves either motor or vocal things.
The main reasons behind these disorders seem to lie behind genetic factors and malfunction of brain chemistry.

TD is thought to be due to genetic factors and faulty brain chemistry. IT is suspected that a neurotransmitter dopamine is involved and affected but also norepinephrine and serotonin.

However, this may not be your problem. You may be just a transient thing that would last a few days and go away. If it continues, you may visit a GP first and they may point you somewhere else if necessary.

I too am experiencing a new twitching of the nose. I am 24 and have recently started a career. I am experiencing slightly more stress than usual. It seems to be the muscles which would make your nostrils flare. However, this is more minor and the nostrils themselves do not move much. It is sporadic and repetitive. Can someone tell me what it is? Will a vitamin or mineral deficiency cause this??

I am 27 and also experiencing twitching of the nose. I am not a medical doctor but I do not believe it is Tourettes Disorder (see Danny's post). It is most likley stress.

I'm 28. I'm not a medical professional. But I have severe allergies. My nostrils twitch inside when I am exposed to an allergen that I am extremely allergic to. I doesn't cause hives or a runny nose. Just twitching nostrils.

I am a 35 year old women and started experiencing these annoying nostril twittings also. It started about 2 months ago and it has happened several times. It isn't a constant thing but it does come and go and sometimes does it all day long.

If anyone figures out what causes this please post and let us know. It is driving me crazy.

Most tics involve simple body movements like head jerks, shoulder shrugs, eye blinks, nose twitches and tooth clicks. Nose twitching can reveal an early onset of TS or Tourette's Syndrome.

Medications such as haloperidol and pimozide can help control TS tics, but many doctors are reluctant to prescribe them because of possible side effects such as drowsiness, tremors and depression. In fact, doctors usually avoid treating with medication unless an individual can no longer tolerate the tics.

What utter dribble being posted on here. Way to go to leap to the most extreme and scare the life out of people, you unhelpful m***n.

Nose ticks, eye ticks, whatever they are, are just signs of being a little bit stressed, or tiredness / lacking sleep.

It's a pain, but it will go when you get yourself back to a decent sleeping pattern, and/or solve whatever it is that's stressin you out.

Tourettes Syndrome indeed. Some people shouldn't be allowed near computers.

Hi:
I've had this problem with the area around my eye, although very slight and very brief and very infrequently. My understanding is that this could be caused by stress, nerves, etc. However, it is not considered serious. If it continues for you, however, you might want to consult with a neurologist to get answers. I have never seen anyone because it's so infrequent and rare for me. If you have concerns about diseases in your family history, then get answers. This will ease your stress. Please let us know what you find out.

I am 16 and I read that intricate medical response about the seratonin and neonapineprine, and i believe he is correct because i started taking a medication that boosts the levels of those two hormones in the body and my nose and lip and eye started twitching and before being on this medication i never had experianced this.

I also have had my nostrils twitch. I can make it happen if I squeeze my eyes shut and then open them again. The nostril twich is annoying- but subtle. Not sure it's even visible. I have been under stress, and noticed this worse after a day of hauling my camera equipment around. Also- I recently started taking melatonin to help me sleep better. Melatonin is essentially the "opposite" of seratonin. Wonder which of these things is causing it: stress; moderate lifting throughout the day, or the melatonin. Perhaps a combination of the three. Any insight would be helpful. Also have a sore neck and headache a lot lately. Seems stress related. Any of you taking melatonin?

same thing happens to me and i am 14 it bothers me while at school then randomly goes aways then randomly comes back i hate iT I dont wont to know why its happening i just want to know how to stop it please someone tell its DRIVING ME NUTS!!!!!!!! SOME PLEASE HELP ITS BEEN GOING ON FOR LIKE 3 DAYS NOW PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Same here with the nose twitch. Day 3 of it happening everynow and then. It's most likely not allergies and if all it is, is a nose twitch its not Tourettes. Don't worry, its most likely stress induced. I've been overcoming major anxiety for the past 6 months and I found stress, anxiety, lack of sleep can cause muscle spasms all through your body. It's a pain but it'll go away once you get things in your life back in order. I recommend an all natural relaxent called, "Formula 303". It helps with stress and muscle spasm. It's all safe it's Valerian root, Passiflora & Magnesium. Go to your local health foods store and pick up a bottle, it does wonders. I've been using it for 6 months and you can't take too much. Hope this helps.

I'd have to agree that it's stress. The bridge of my nose has been twitching for almost 3 weeks now. It stops when I'm at home on my weekends. As soon as the topic of going to work comes up or if I know that my weekend is ending, it starts back up with fury! I guess until the job market gets better, I have to deal with my nose twitching. It's more annoying than anything I've ever encountered, sometimes I just want to rip my nose off. Better luck to you all!

I am a 27 y/o male who is experience sporadic nostril twitching as well.

I believe the root cause is allergies, stress, or lack of sleep.

CERTAINLY NOT TS.