I have been dealing with severe neck pain for about ten years with the last two being the worst. Today I had x-rays done AGAIN at the local ER. After viewing the x-rays the doctor told me that I have two extra vertebrae in my neck and thats whats causing the chronic pain. He said something about because of the extra vertebreas they are not allowing my muscles to relax . I asked him what could be done to ease the pain (or get rid of it) and he said major surgery to remove the extra vertebrae, or pain medication, muscle relaxers, and anti-inflamitories. I have been researching this for a few hours now and I cant find much. I read one article that said that this is extremely rare. So my question is......has any body ever had this problem? Is surgery a good idea? I need all the info that I can get. Im totally clueless about this and I need this pain to stop. Please help!!!!!!!!!!

Hello RyansMommo,

I was diagnosed with extra cervirical ribs in the neck also,I saw a specialist a few years ago and she said that surgery could be dangerous, as they are close to the main arteries. As time went on the pain was worse, so I had another x-ray, this time nothing showed up at all. It gets more complicated, my doctor told me that they came to the conclusion it is extra bone. For some reason he is argumentative about these "Extra ribs" however I saw them for myself as I was told they can catch a nerve and cause pins and needles, another symptom I have. I also have a muscular disorder, as you described the fact they can cause this with the muscles, tells me it's all connected. I wish I had advice. Have you tried Gabapentin for pain releif, or diazepam? These ease this with me, slightly. However it's becoming worse and I'm tired of the oblivious reaction I get from doctors. It causees terrible pain in my shoulder blades and the neck and back too. Now it's all over. I am told it's osteo-arthiritis so I'm confused. I need X-rays done again. Surgery might be a bad move as I was told it can paralyse you. Whats the difference between extra vertibrae IE ribs as opposed to bone, I do not know and cant understand why my Doctor is determined to say that the rheumatolagist was wrong when I was diagnosed at the pain clinic as having the two extra vertibrae. you're not alone. I hope you get releif, I'm feeling the same way with this problem.

Take care

Sharon.

I too have extra vertebrae in my neck I find massage a great help. I use a tennis ball and press it gently against the painful area against a wall or on the floor to relieve the nerve tention hope this helps!

I also was told by my doctor, after he looked at x-rays of my neck, that, I have two extra vertebra in my neck, one on each side. It was after, I got in a car accident. My neck, head, and shoulders, still hurt bad, and that was years ago, when, I was in the accident. They treat me with, pain meds, muscle relaxants, gabepentin. They also, told me, that, it was very rare. They said that, it was more common, in prehistoric man, than, it is for humans, now a days. If you guys find any more information please post it. Thank You Vern.

Hi, I don't know if the message comes too late for u, I am diagnosed the same as u that my neck has extra 2 vertebrae so I also have to deal with neck and shoulder pain for many years. Then x ray showed the extra 2bones.
But my dr was better and smarter than your dr.... sorry to comment that but he really is. He gave me the simplest and easiest answer... stop using pillow, buy a travel neck support pillow to support the neck on the bed. So while lying straight on bed, the curve behind the neck is support by the neck support, the head rest straight on bed, and ta-da! No more neck pain ever since then!
Pls don't go through under knife!! It's ridiculous! A simple neck support pillow will help u.
The neck support pillow I bought is from a Japan company called MUJI , it can be put straight or form a U by buckling up. So when I sleep, I just unbuckle it and put it straight to support my neck. Very simple and it's so comfy that now I recommend to other friends to try it even though their neck is normal, and that help them to sleep better too.

I really hope this simple method can help you. All the best.

Christine
(From Singapore)