Im 18 years old and recently had a kid 2 years ago, ever since then i have had bad lower back pain.  Little things will make my back go out for days.  I have been to many doctors who claim it is just muscle strain, and dont prescribe anything from it. About a week ago i went to the doctor after throwing my back out again, they finally took an xray and told me i have prominent scoliosis and an extra vertebrae in my lumbar. They still dont have an exact reason to why my back is hurting.  Does anyone know why it might?  It hurts to bend, sit up, walk, and go upstairs.  I cannot lay flat on my back with out shooting pains.

Scoliosis, it sounds like a disease but fortunately it's not.  It's just a condition.  I have it too.  Pain, I have been dealing with it.  I didn't know I had it until seven years ago (five years after my last child).  What I recommend is one of the many things you will hear.  Although it sounds harsh given that you are in pain, but daily exercise (not strenuous) will help you.  Pain makes you stiffen up so you need to relax the muscles with daily exercise.  Take Aleve if you have to but don't make it routine.  Doctors don't want to prescribe because they (and you) don't want pills to be your answer.  With scoliosis, you can't lay on your back so you need to sleep on your side with pillow between your knees.  Don't forget to take calcium with Vitamin D as scoliosis may progress.   No one else but yourself is in charge of your health so stay informed. 

I also have an extra lumbar vertebrae which caused such severe scoliosis that I had a spinal fusion at age 14. I played sports afterward and ended up causing a stress fracture, called a "scotty dog," on the vertebrae off of my hip. What type of doctor did you go see? I would suggest making an appointment with an orthopedic surgeon or, if you've already seen one, a doctor at a spine clinic/physical medicine/chronic pain management facility. I've managed my pain with OTC naproxen for years and backbraces, although mine's steadily getting worse. You could have a pinched nerve, fracture, pulled muscle, etc.

See a "corrective care" chiropractor. My scoliosis went from 20 degrees to less then 15.