Hi. Normal people have 5 vertebrae, called L1 – L5. However, I have a sixth lumbar vertebra! Because of L6 I am suffering from back pain. Is there some sort of a treatment for spinal anomalies problems? Anybody with experience?

Hi. I have an extra lumbar vertebra and no back pain. L6 is rarely a cause of back pain. There are some cases where the bony protrusion is sacralized. It can create a rudimentary joint and the result is low back pain. Treatment includes injections of steroid meds, and is very effective. Usually, no surgery is necessary.

I also have an L6 and trying to understand and stabilize it. Generally it's not a problem but when it move the pain can be extreme. My chiro is helping me with core exercises to prevent this discomfort. In some cases surgery to remove and or fuse can be a solution if conditions cannot be made naturally. Core exercises done properly should be a first and foremost solution.

What do you mean by natural corrections? And what do you mean by sacrilized. I can't function well or stand for very long periods. Lay around on heating pad. Am in good shape and active but not when this is going on. I have a family doctor but need a second opinion. Do I need an MRI. Go to physical therapy. Work out in the gym if at all possible? What are your thoughts?

I have been notified that I have L6 vertebrae with an under developed disk as for the pain I'm 53 yrs old and this is the first problem I've ever had. Chiropractor says to use cold therapy 3x a day 15min each time no longer! Do only the core exercises recommended if it hurts don't do it

So sorry to hear about your back pain. My daughter has been experiencing chronic, intense/mild back pain for the past 7 months. An x-ray revealed an "L-6" within the top of her sacrum which is not fused by bone to the body of her sacrum. The orthopedic surgeon said this is a variation of normal and she may have never been bothered by it if she wasn't a ballerina. Physical therapy has done her a lot of good as does massage because, as you may imagine, this poorly stabilized bone slips forward, to the side and everywhere. When she is gently manipulated back into place, she feels relief. Our next plan of action is to take a break from ballet and work on strengthening her core so she can hopefully start again in the winter. How long have you had your pain?

Hello.

I too have recently found out that the extreme pain I have been experiencing for years is due to an extra vertbrae (L6) grinding against another bone. (thise has caused major deteriation to these bones) I cannot stand, sit, walk, (for extended periods) bend, carry anything heavy etc etc. I am on painkillers that ease the pain but do not get to the core of the pain (I will not go on strong painkillers due to the addicting abililties they have). I find it absolutely stupid that DR'S try to say that the extra vertabrae does not cause any pain. It can and it does!!! Perhaps most people don't experience pain but I am one of the unlucky few. I've had x-rays, MRI, injections, neurologist consults, therapy...you name it, I've done it. I'm currently waiting on a surgeon who I pray, will be able to give me the answer that I am looking for. My family DR said that they can either fuse the two bones together or remove the extra vertabrae. So I can only pray that in the end they will be able to do something that will ease my pain. Funny thing....it was the Doctor doing my injection who was the one who was able to FINALLY tell me what the heck was going on. It made so much sense when he explained it to me (because I cannot bend as a normal person can). It did not show this problem on my MRI...but it does show it on the xrays. Each dr has told me that injections, etc only mask the problem and is not getting to the root of it. They have been adamit that I make sure that something is done as my condition is pretty bad. To anyone suffering this same horrible pain....I've been advised to be careful which means no chiropractor as it can make the issue worse. I feel for those going through this same thing....the worst is the extreme pain that shoots through your body like a bolt of lightning and the other difficult part....is the loss of basic life that we deal with everyday due to the pain. Oh and if your curious, I'm 30 years old and have been dealing with this since I was 14.

I found out yesterday that I have an L6. I almost feel sorta special to be different if it weren't for the pain. I never actually had any back pain but it's pinching my nerves so I had extreme foot and leg pain. I went to 9 doctors and had x-rays, MRI's, and EMG, and a bone scan. What sucks now is that it's been going on for like over half a year so I have chronic pain. I also have an aversion to doctors because so many looked at my MRI and never saw an extra vertebrae! idiots. My new chiropractor has been able to help me but it is still hard to go to school and things, I"m 16 so I really don't have a choice. Have you found anything that's helped you?

This is good information. My fifteen year old son has had back pain for two years, and we learned today he has a sixth vertabrae that has slipped forward. His hamstrings are so tight he can't lift his legs three feet from a laying position. I never noticed that before. He has a sway back and a bubble butt which seems to run in the family. Has anyone been told this is herditary?

This is genetic. Usually becomes an issue in the mid to late 20's and can start around puberty. Mine fused to my sacrum which in turn caused herniation of two vertebrae above in the L4/L5. I have two cousins with this issue not as severe and an aun who's due for her 5? surgery. I started having back pain around 15/16 yes old. We summed it up to a bus wreck from school. Later when I turned 25/26 I had bouts of inability to walk. The swelling was horrible and I actually had a small central nervous system shock. It was breif but very scary. I suddenly fell and could barley breath. Took everything to wake my sister up in the same room. MRI show soft tissue and xray bones and other calcified areas. I suggest anyone with this problem to find a spine care surgeon. Good luck. I'm still workng on it.

I am 35 years old and I too have an L6. I started to have my pain back in Sept. My L6 has hernitated over my sacrum(spondyloisthesis) and I also degenerative disk disease above it. This also had led me to have occasional shooting pain down my left leg. I've been going to physical therapy and doing core exercises to alleviate the pain for approx. 6 months now to no avail. After seeing my spine specialist it has come to the conclusion that I'll need spinal fusion to correct everything which will be in two months.

I have an L6 and have had back pain since I was about 16 and I am now almost 31. My drs never told me about it til recently I went to a chiropractor and he explained it to me. I have the L6 and it is partially fused with my S1. It throws all my hip and lower back bones off alignment. thats what causes the pain. He repostions my spine and that usually helps for 2 days then it hurts again. I am so young doctors wont give me pain meds cause Im too young they say. I need to find that dr who says ' I want you to enjoy your young life so here, take these and let me know when you need more!' my chiropractor said there is no possible way to do surgery on my problem since its fused already. but its only partially fused. I have to sleep on my couch and not in bed with my fiance cause my back pain is so severe that I cant get out of bed in the mornings. I have to roll off the couch on to the floor to push myself up! I also have been diagnosed with arthrosis in my facets(sponges in between my vertabre) which makes it 100x worse when it rains! I am so tired of going to a doctor and being told im too young! Arthritis doesnt care that im only 30! my bones dont care im only 30! but the doctors sure do! why? I was researching back pain with L6 and found this page. Im glad I did! I know Im not alone in this! I am worried about the future and how much worse this is gonna get!

I broke the L6 when I was a little girl....I have not had any problem with it until recently and I am 60. All the nerves go through this area and that is what is causing the pain. I have found that sleeping on a harder bed helps a great deal. Also sitting on a "ring" pillow (like a toilet seat) also helps. I have dealt with this a long time and was told that if you break it severely and in the right place it can (but rarely) cause paralysis. Both of my butt cheeks feel like they have charliehorses. I have also found that if you sit and lean forward laying your chest on your knees that this stretches this area and I get a huge relief. Hope this helps

All my life I wondered why my posture was off.   I tried to sit the way were suppoe to ....  Pfffft..... Not  haven it... It's not that noticeable but if pointed out  you would think I was part german shepard   Anyways 4 years ago I ruptured a disc  to the point I was terified to walk . I  was in out of the emergency room until finally they decided it was time for an MRI   Me I am thinking  they are just going to give me a prescription and tell m to rest  BUT NOOOOOOOOO  they call me up afterI finally answered there call   and say they need to speak to me in person . Great  low and behold  L6, fused , and since I was born are the only words i remeber from that conversation and I havent healed yet   I have  gone thru some weird experiences in the past four years  I wake up and completely paralysed  from my waist to my knees   I dont move cuz i  i can't   so I move the parts of my body that are still able to move to get the rest goin  takes about 35 minutes   sometims I get a pain that has stopped me dead in my tracks  laid me up for a week in bed  couldn't move  plus i was to scared to  that sonofabitch  HURT   they say its siatica   well i call it psychotic     Im 39 years old female and unable to do the things i use too  and  it's mentally challenging me  so i know how you all feel its not fun  I know                                                                                      

It seems that many people suffer a great deal because of this L6 disc problem. My hope for all of you is a full recovery, and rehab of that area!  I also have an L6 disc, as does my daughter.  We first heard of this with my daughter, when she experienced a stress fracture of her L6 due to a power cheerleading accident. The doctor was surprised to see the L6 to start with -- but she was young and healed quickly. She still suffers though periodically from mild pain, but nothing that stops her from carrying on.  I, on the other hand, had no idea I also had an L6.  I am a runner.  Just finished training and running a half marathon race. I've always had ongoing left hip pain and figured it was because of the running, tight hip flexors, gluts, hamstrings etc... typical runner's injury stuff.  Before I was about to start another round of therapy, I decided to visit my doc who sent me for xrays. We both suspected hip osteoarthritis, which runs in my family, and because of my age. (I'm 55). No arthristis, but preliminary results showed mild osteoarthritis in my scaroiliac joint. Plus, something strange with my scrum and spine curve. So I went back for more xrays. This time of my lower back. Et voila - and extra disc!  And it's slightly twisted, and fusing to my scacrum. (rotoscoliosis & scarolisation).  Now I'm off to a physiatrist for eval, but in the mean time, followup physiotherapy, massage therapy, anything to keep me running! I have a 10km race in two weeks!  Right now, pain is managable.  It gets better the more I move.  If I sit or stay in one position for an extended period of time, I feel pain, and I really get stiff. I really feel pain after driving for a long time, and try to get out of the car. SO, my theory is, MOVE! Don't sit around. Get up.  I also find yoga very helpful.  The type I do is gentle, and restorative type yoga. Not the kind that has you standingon your head or tied up in knots!  So best wishes to everyone! I hope you all get better and feel relief soon! Sat Nam!