I have been wearing contact lenses for the last ten years now, and always without any problems at all. Now I have started having lots of problems and my left eye has become terribly infected. The doctors says that I should refrain from wearing lenses until it clears up and had said it is an unidentified infection. I think I might have Acanthamoeba Keratitis. What do I need to know about Acanthamoeba Keratitis if I do have it?

Hi there! Acanthamoeba keratitis is a rare disease where amoebae invade the cornea of the eye. I also read that signs and symptoms of Acanthamoeba keratitis include severe pain, severe keratitis (similar to stromal herpetic disease), corneal perineuritis, ring ulcer (although this is late in the disease process). Infection most often occurs through exposure to contaminated water while wearing contact lenses, swimming or showering in infected waters. If your doctor says you should refrain from wearing lenses until it clears up you should do it. If he says it is an unidentified infection it probably is. My roommate had the same problem two months ago so she wasn't wearing her lenses for a while and now she's wearing them normally and the infection is gone. I hope this will help you and you'll get better soon.