Hello, folks. My friend has been diagnosed with Fuchs’ dystrophy. I know that this disease is inherited. The things that interests me is the treatment of this disease and whether corneal transplant is really necessary. I would really appreciate your opinion. Feel free to answer me. Thank you in advance. Bye!

Hello. Corneal transplant is only real cure for this condition. One can use muro eye drops. However, they only give temporary relief. Your friend should know that this disease won’t pass on its own. And sometimes it can progress very far. Blindness is the most serious consequences. It can happen over night. I hope your friend will go for transplant. Good luck!

I have Fuchs Dystrophy in both eyes. The ophthalmologist gives me a lot of things to do -- a lot of moisturizing drops, muro eye ointments, washing the lids, etc. Wearing sunglasses is very important. My ophthalmologist is amazed that I am doing as well as I am. I take vitamins and I believe this has helped me a lot. Yes, I have been told that cornea replacements are probably inevitable, but I will delay it as long as possible. My ophthalmologist doesn't believe in doing it until it gets to a certain point. I am not a fan of transplants so I will put it off as long as possible.