I have a friend who had strange symptoms. He has problem with red eye, sensation of something, like sand, in the eye, pain, and sensitivity to light. However, I had cousin with these symptoms as well as watery eye and blurred vision, who was diagnosed with keratitis. Now I want to hear could it be the same with my friend. Which diagnosing methods should be done to confirm my opinion?

When is caused by herpes simplex virus, keratitis usually affects only one eye, but both eyes may be affected when keratitis is due to other causes. If your friend has these symptoms, he should see a health care professional. He will ask him about his symptoms, vision, and his health in general. A history of some immune problems, chickenpox or shingles, or arthritis may help doctor diagnose keratitis. Doctor, or an eye specialist, will use an instrument that magnifies the surface of the cornea to look for a tiny ulcer caused by viral infection. This ulcer are the best seen after a dye is used to stain the cornea temporarily. Herpes simplex infection of the cornea may be accompanied by infection of the eyelid, and in this case, tiny, painful blisters resembling cold sores of the lips may appear on the eyelid. To help diagnose keratitis, his doctor also may test his visual sharpness, clearness, and test of how well his pupil responds to light. He might also measure his cornea and examine his eye using a special instrument called a slit lamp.
Keratitis may be brief if it is caused by an infection that is fought off by the body or by antibiotics, but if keratitis is related to contact lenses, the duration tends to be brief.