What is a stigmatism is a question that optometrists hear every day, I guess. I know it is actually spelled as astigmatism. I can’t say I know about astigmatism more then how it is the most common vision problem. Because most people don't know what it is, as I don’t either, I would like to hear something about it.

If person have only a small amount of astigmatism, it is possible he doesn’t notice it at all. In some cases, it is possible to have just slightly blurred vision. Sometimes, uncorrected astigmatism can cause headaches or eyestrain, and distort or blur vision at all distances. Astigmatism occurs when the cornea is shaped more like an oblong football than a spherical baseball. This last is the normal corneal shape. This causes light rays to focus on two points in the back of the eye, rather than on just one. This is because an astigmatic cornea has a steeper curve and a flatter one. Regular astigmatism is usually easy to correct, but irregular astigmatism can be complicated and more difficult to correct. It depends on the extent of the irregularity. Unless it is extreme, astigmatism can be compensated for satisfactorily with the eyeglasses or even contact lenses.