Hello there,

I'm a 39 years old woman. I had this weird tighten upper stomach near the rib at the middle of the night, if i had more than 2 cups of fluid(water, soup, milk or anything liquid) after 6 pm. if feel very uncomfortable, like something stuck inside my upper stomach or something tide on my rib and it will last for at least 3-4 hour and i can't sleep at all. what happen to my digesting system? this kind of condition started this summer if i had greasy food and drink alot of water. but now it turn out to be only drink alots of water i will get this upper stomach pain with alot of pressure and tighten feel on the rib. please some body tell me how to deal with it.

hello i once had this problem to and i went to see the doctor and it turned out that i was constipated and he gave me some meds no i am finnee! hope this helps

There are things you could try to do yourself to find a cure for your tight stomach. The most important things are: avoid greasy foods, no carbonated sugary drinks like coke, and keep foods that cause a lot of gas, like broccoli, to a minimum. Also, chew your food well so that you do not accidentally swallow too much air. 

If none of that works, it is time to stop trying to self remedy and to get medical help from a doctor. You could have irritable bowel syndrome, or a bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine, or even a food intolerance. 

I don’t think that water is causing this, especially if it takes only two cups after six, its just impossible. But the fact that you react when you eat heavy food is more important. This type of pain and at night you get when your stomach is producing too much of digestive acid. Do you have heartburns? And does this happen when you don’t drink water? Really, it’s so strange for water to be causing something like this. For start, try to avoid fat and spicy food and eat small meals and see if it has any effect, perhaps you can try with some over-the-counter anti-acids.

Hi did you ever find the cause or way to lessen the pain.  I have the same thing after drinking water or liquids

This has happened  to me twice, very very painfull.  Stomach gets hard, hurts like heck. Easy solution, now that it has gone away twice I know it works.  I even went to the hospital the first time.  I waited 3-4 hours in the Emerg. room. what a joke. Anyway, boil up some pepperment tea, leaves or store purchased. Drink little sips at a time, (one cup usually does the trick, it will hurt a bit as you put more pressure on your stomach from more liquid, but it is well worth it) you will begin to let air out, burps, etc. within 15 minutes, you will feel 90% better, with in an hour, no pain. THAT'S CORRECT, NO PAIN AT ALL :) I hope this helps, it really works.  Thanks to my wife Sue, she was the one with the cure !!!:-D

You may have irritable bowel syndrome... Consult with your doctor as well make sure if you are taking any meds see the ingredients could cause that too

Thanks a lot, it works really fast!

Hi all I had this and I haven't found peppermint tea helpful in the past. But I had some peppermint oil on hand. Couple of drops in the palm of my hands. Rub your hands together a bit. Then put your hands cupped over your nose and inhaled it 6 or more times. Will clear your sinuses too. It shifted immediately. After that I applied it topically to my stomach and put a heat bag on my stomach and did the same again on my hands with the oil and inhaling it just to make sure it was gone. Soooo good! Wouldn't have gotten through last night without it! :)

I am 7 weeks and was reading how water really helps your body flush out toxins... so really getting into, I drank a bunch of water. After that my stomach really really hurt. It did feel like something was stuck but more to the sides of my stomach. I had some peppermint tea and it did the trick. Thanks for the help

Hi there! What you had was hyponatremia. I had two cups of water myself just now, and had the same exact problem. YOU CAN DRINK TOO MUCH WATER if you're not consuming a considerable amount on a daily basis. Jumping into any extreme diet alterations will take the body to get used too, which was the case for the both of us.

i found this too but dnt know how to manage it

Me too after drinking a liter of water

I get this sometimes too. I have a tendency to drink fast. If I gulp an 8 oz glass of water I will get pain immediately. It didn't used to be like this but I guess aging digestive system? I know we tend to produce less stomach acid as we get older. Anyway, extreme stabbing pain in the stomach which just lasts a few minutes and makes me feel a bit woozy. My solution has been to spread it out a bit/not drink so fast. I just hope this isn't an ulcer causing this, but I guess I would be getting more symptoms than pain from gulping water. It has had the effect though of making me drink less and so not hydrating enough. Need to get a handle on it.