I was diagnosed 17 years ago with IBS or so they said- I get flare-ups were I wake up one morning my stomach is blown up like a balloon-with terrible

pains-that over the years when i do not have these flare-ups I eat anything I want pizza- wings -cheese- nothing bothers my stomach at that time for several months at a time. When the flare-up starts or if you want to call it an episode it does not matter what I eat because from drinking a glass of water to eating anything my stomach just gets worse- this can last from several weeks to months( what I do not understand about IBS is your suppose to have irregular bowel movements- mine always seem pretty normal- so is this really what I have-or have i been missed diagnosed all these years.

Over the years I have had many colonoscopys and Endoscopys done-I have had polyps removed 4-5 years ago- and a bout with diudinal ulcers. I also have had esophagus problems over the years- just had a Trans-nasel done and they cannot see any ulcers. I also find Since this last episode I am purping and expelling gas way too much I have presently been on doxycycline and axtral for prostatitis-before that molexicam-could this be causing this latest episode which has been now going on fo 16 straight days

I have been taking pro-biotics 55 billion- because I have been on and off anti-biotics since Feb. of this year Too many kinds from Cipro to Bactrim to Minocyclin- back to cipro-now trying doxycycline- maybe too many anti- biotics? nothing seems to be working. I have only been on doxycycline for 2 days-taking with food and my stomach and abnominal pain feel worse.

Along with the Probiotics I have also tried Buscapan-pepperment oil which i was recommended for IBS also lemon Balm-and Irbogast.Nothing works at all when I am In this state-kield over inpain bed ridden for most of the day.

My GI doctor does not care-just says to live with it- my family doctor does not know what to do any more

I need suggestions- other drugs to try- a wrong diagnosis after all these years

hey.. I'm going through a similar thing.. 8 months ago i was fine.. then I overdosed accidently on the antidepressant celexa for 2 weeks.. since then, had horrible bloating 24 hours a day.. all the docs have been clueless and unhelpful.. my best guess is that a motility problem caused by celexa allowed for bacterial overgrowth.. hopefully treatable with antibiotics.. i've been searching a lot.. and some people say certain antibiotics.. or combinations of antibiotics work.. i hear rifaximin is popular.. i just tried flagyl and it didn't work.. hopefully trying something else soon..

ygft, from what exact reason you take antibiotics?

Excessive burping may be a symptom of Helicobacter pylori infection of the stomach. Breath test is available.

Any Luck? did you tired Food tolerance or lactose tolerance Test? I have same issue some one said try IBS acupuncture too!

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

i think there is something going around. i just took 6 days of rifaximin 550 twice a day. seems to work better than the cipro with far fewer side effects. i am now back on align. all of my symptoms started after a bout of either food poisoning and/or norovirus from this past winter. i have been battling off and on bouts of a mild stomach virus for 7 months now. blood tests, stool tests galore and nothing. i know many are quick to say celiac or IBS but i tested negative for celiac. also, my wife has had the SAME symptoms as me for the same amount of time. i think we ate something. a co worker i know had the same thing but he beat it after a few days of cipro and 2 weeks of dixo(sp?) that someone mentioned above. my guess is that it is NOT a virus and it is curable but its the right combo.

regardless, my life has sucked for the past 7 months. 

Did you had a IBS test positive? before you taking rifaximin? or just got it on the counter ?

My life sucked for the past 2 years :( now i have bladder problem too :(

i was not diagnosed with IBS. rifo was given as a sample. i had weird bladder issues early on like my urine would be very sensational and strong feeling. that was early spring though.

Same here, I think all Connected. But would like to share this might help you as help me 50 percent improve, i drink one litre of water after awake in the morning and one litre water before bed time after 10 days i feel much better, no constipation but less bloating and burps. try this, water is God gifted. Regards

p.s try acupuncture for IBS will help too :)

i have been drinking loads of fluids, probably should drink more in the morning. i drink cups and cups of herbal tea daily.

i find i can drink in the morning, and pee a lot. but by afternoon i start feeling dehydrated and when i drink as much, i do not pee as much.

im 75 and i have had ibs and diverticulosis for prob 40 yrs.....i see my gastritus doc regular but nothing gets done to fix it.....the pain is horrible....he just said u had it this long nothinn i can do ........i have thought about being a guinea pig for hospital studies .......dont hope for a miracle unless God gives it to u..........no help w the dr......