I'm getting a little desperate here. For the last four days every time I attempt to eat solid food within 20 minutes I get extremely severe pain that begins behind the lower section of my rib cage on the left side of my body. The pain continues to increase and within minutes all of the muscles in my mid back start cramping. The symptoms continue for anywhere from an hour and a half to two hours. When they ease, I'm left feeling nauseated and my back feels bruised from the cramping. I can drink liquids without any adverse effect as long as I drink them slowly, but even minimal attempts at solid food cause problems. For instance, I was able to have a bowl of tomato soup eaten slowly over the course of an hour without having problems, and I was able to eat a bowl of chicken broth very slowly without triggering any pain. However, when I attempted to eat a bowl of cream of chicken soup with small chicken chunks in it, I got the pain and back cramps. Even something as simple as a piece of bread or a few bites of saltine crackers is enough to trigger the pain. The doctors have no clue what's wrong. One of them even tried to say it was gas. Umm, no, it's not gas. And I don't think it's an ulcer. I've been on Prilosec for years for GERD, and the pain doesn't feel like it's actually in my stomach. It feels higher and more to the left than where my stomach is. Has anyone else had to deal with anything like this?

i have the same problem and all the doc's ive been to say they have no clue what it is. EVEN MILITARY DOC's. 

I have been having the same problem since May. In May, my doctor took blood and ran a test. The test results take a week to get back. But two days later my stomach swelled to the point I looked 8 months pregnant within an hour or two of eating. At the ER they ran the tests again and came up negative. I told them it felt like Pancreatis that I had had 12 years before. No one believed me, but five days later the doctor's office calls to tell me I had Pancreatis. I quit eating for four days just Sonic Slushies. I have had repeat episodes since then but I just drink liquids for a few days and it calms down until the last four weeks. It did not go away so I had another test and guess what the test came up negative again. The ER doctor did tell me something is very wrong and to go to a GI doctor. But due to the recession I am a laid off teacher and on public insurance and there is no GI dr. that takes my insurance. My dad and aunt had their gallbladder taken out years ago but it is not on the right upper abdomen pain, it is left upper abdomen pain right below and almost under my last rib.

Yes I have the exact thing..I went for an MRI and getting results back today..I have had x-rays, ultra sounds, and nothing comes up.. I was told from my aunt who has the same as well that it could be a blockage in the upper bowel right where it turns..HAVE THEM CHECK THAT OUT that is my next step if nothing shows up on MRI. I also wake up EVERY MORNING with a stomach ache regardless of what I ate the night before. I poop 4-5 times before i leave the house in the morning and if I eat it's worse. I DON"T have any pain with eating and had my gallbladder out a few months ago. I will keep you posted on my results..

lahotty wrote:

Laura2000 wrote:

I have had the exact same thing---pain in my left side in ribs and back on the left---could this be gas---I had my gallbladder out last August, stayed nauseated for months---finally got better, but the past two weeks, my stomach is off and I have the pains again---really hurts sometimes...

Can't say it was pain, but strange pokes and cramps in my stomach. It begin around middle of August. Mainly on the left side of my stomach. Followed by ache/fatigue in middle to upper back. Lat area. Both sides, but a little more on left than right. Also, slight discomfort under armpits, once again more on left than right. Doctor checked for anything swollen, had blood work twice, ultrasound, chest x-ray, and Cat scan. All normal. Don't know what to do next. Problems are still there!

I really HATE it when people post a question and all the replies are "their stories". I have a headache just annoyed. Why do people do that!! ITS A QUESTION!

worst is you reply

Left upper pain after eating heavy meals or fat food is more associated with the pancreas. 

Hi I went to somerset on holiday enjoying my time off,any way when I got home I found I could not eat anything two days afterwards, I reported this to my doctor,they arranged an endoscopy, they said my liver was very enlarged and so was my spleen, it was confirmed that i had NASH (nonalcoholic steatohepatitis) which has now developed in to fibrosis, still waiting to no weather it's developed into cirrhosis or not.Its now Dec and and I'm still on liquids, I've tried solids but give me great pain, the consultant has put me on fortisips, which are sweet, this effects my sugars as I am type one diabetic,I get cramps and back spasms when I try to eat solid foods,like today 17dec 2014, the pain is so intense, my sternum hurts so much and is so sore and itchy, I'm now started to get in my left side, so now they are thinking something to do with my heart, I have just had a CT scan and now wait for a MRI scan, still waiting for results off countless number of results, it gets quite depressing sometimes not knowing what's going on, the medical profession do not know what's causing this, so I'm going through process of elimination, any one who reads this my thoughts go out to you, I no what you are going through, hopefully one day there will be a diagnosis for this condition.ps I don't smoke nor do I drink alcohol.

I also was diagnosed with nash and stage 2 fibrosis im scared that it will turn into cirrohsis i dont drink and haven't in 17.years can anyone tell me is there anyway to stop fibrosis from turning to cirrohsis its been 5-6 yrs since last biopsy my enzymes are good sometimes n bad sometimes i blame it on wat i eat or pain meds but im scared i will die from this

Have you reached any conclusions about your condition, Richard? I have the exact same symptoms.

I will try to help. I am a layperson, no medical training, but have done a lot of research on this and IBS, Ulcers, Diverticulosis and Hiatal Hernia, (My conditions) I was on many psych meds for 10 years. Digestive problems can lead to depression, irritability & mood swings, (along with pre-diabetes). I realized that my GI specialist did not know what he was talking about one day (he as much as called me a liar when I related some symptoms) and decided to take matters into my own hands. After researching, I decided to start taking probiotic capsules every morning and digestive enzymes with every meal. I stopped all refined sugar, wheat, dairy and meat. I went cold turkey off those 7 psych meds (one at a time,one month apart) (very hard to do) I stopped eating processed, (canned, packaged) foods. I dropped 30 pounds with out batting an eye and started feeling better than I had for 10 years. All the GI symptoms subsided. Not cured necessarily, but symptoms were gone. (Pain Free) You will have to do your own research as to why I stopped and eliminated those things from my diet and why I added those digestive aids. If you take responsibility for your own health and out of the hands of the AMA & educate yourself (for free on the Internet) you will feel empowered and get relief, and quite possibly cures, that would never happen otherwise. The AMA and big Pharma have vested interests in "medicating you" not "curing" you.

E eryone would benefit by reading thus post. I too had right flank pain for years which got progressively worse. I went to many doctors,specialists and had numerous tests. I finally gave up on the MD's and started Googling and you tubing the c**p out of my symptoms. I watched a lot of naturepathic MD's who actually know how your body works and started taking probiotics, digestive enzymes at every meal, stopped eating processed foods and went gluten free. It was the digestive enzymes and going gluten free that really started me on the road to recovery. If you do the research will will find that nutrition plays a huge part in your health and well being. Good luck to all of you. I hope your find the answers you are looking for!

Agree. The blind leading the blind.