How much water do you drink in the time before a race and what time do you stop drinking it so it doesn't seem to sit in your stomach?

How much water you drink before a race depends somewhat on the weather conditions. If it's hot you generally drink more. Ill drink maybe one to a couple of cups before the race. However don't drink right before-you can get a nasty side stitch if you do. Try drinking one to 2 hours before.

Depends on the weather, but typically, 20-24 oz

I cannot drink more than 48 ounces or I am doomed during the race. This theory has been tested thoroughly this year and proven to be correct. No less than 20oz, no more than 48oz.

are we talking about short 5K races??? cuz i don't drink anything before a race. if i do, i notice side stitches by the 2nd mile that stink! i'm blaming it on the small amount of water i may have (like 30 minutes before)

are the cramps from not drinking????

My typical pre-5k intake is a glass of juice (grape or raspberry) and two cups of coffee a couple of hours before the race and then maybe 8 oz or less of water 1/2 to an hour before the race. Slight increase in water increase in longer races.

I was asking about any race in general. I usually drink a cup or 2 about 15 minutes and I seem to be paying the price in the second half of the race. At the races they usually have water at the halfway point but I usually dump it over my head or maybe take a small swallow to clear my mouth and then dump the rest.

I feel like I hydrate pretty well leading up to the race but as I stand around waiting for the race to start I get thirsty/nervous and I end up drinking more.

I am going to have to try and stop drinking about an hour before the race and then just drink lightly during the shorter races.

Thanks for the comments.

I drink A LOT of gatorade and water the day before the race and then the day of the race hardly drink anything for fear of having to use the bathroom. Short races I don't even drink a cup of water before, or, as some of you mention, I'd be doomed.

:),

Shelly