Why Do I Need So Much Water?

Stats:
Age: 33 y/o
Height: 5ft 5in
Weight: 115lbs

I read that a normal person only needs about 2 liters of water per day. That's about the amount of water that I used to drink. Then, one day about 4-5 months ago, I ate a whole bunch of potato chips (salt and pepper flavored). They were so good, that I ate about 15 3oz bags of it within a couple of days. The next day, my stomach began growling a lot. I wasn't hungry or anything and yet it still growled and my stomach did hurt a little bit. That's when I began drinking more water. If I drank about 8 oz of water, the pain would go away and my stomach would stop growling, for a while. About 30 min-60 min later, about the time after I went to use the toilet, the pain came back, so I had to drink more water. On average, I drink about 5 liters a day and I have to go to the bathroom a lot. Even know, I've got a cup of water beside me…and…"gulp…gulp" (just took a sip of water)…I still need the water because of the minor pain. Plus, I don't feel thirsty. I mainly drink it to deal with the pain. It doesn’t hurt much, but it's still annoying.

I did some research and learned that the reason behind the growling stomach was in fact due to my colon. Apparently it was "dirty" and had to be cleansed. So I used them colon cleansing kit. It took about a month and a half. After which, my stomach stopped growling. What was even better was that I used to get some major stomach aches because of some foods that I ate and I used to end up with a stomach ache about 3-4 times week, but thanks to that colon cleansing program, those major stomach aches from food are no longer a problem. However, the problem with the minor pain and not enough water still exists.

One time, I tried going without water for about 5 hours. During that time, I felt the minor pain in my stomach. After about 15 min, it went away for about an hour or so then came back and repeated. After the 5 hours, I had dinner and started drinking water again. The next day, I tried the same thing, but this time, it felt like the pain was slightly worse.

Is it because I drank so much water? Is my body trying to accommodate for that? In other words, since I drank so much water back then, does my body now think that I need more water? Or, does water have actually nothing to do with it? What I mean is that do I have another problem and drinking that water just helps alleviate that pain?

The way you describe the Water acting as a coolant, almost, to your stomach maybe suggests that you have high mounts of acid in your stomach, and the water is neutralising it. When you go without water do you have strong smelling and darker urine? if any at all?
you may need to look into some alkaline tablets to help stabilise/neutralise the amount of acid. consult your General Practitioner.

I personally feel that if you believe that "dirty colon" stuff I would like to offer you my ocean front camp in Kansas for a few weeks. I'll rent it to you real cheep. How's $1000 a week sound? I feel the same way about drinking large amounts of water. I say, if you're thirsty -- drink. If you're not -- don't drink.

I think your stomach pain is likely caused by too much acid. The grease in all those potato chips would trigger a lot of acid production in there. Prilosec or it's generic version "omeprazole" is an excellent acid reducer and is often used as a diagnostic tool by doctors to determine if a person has an acid problem. You can also take a teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water for an instantaneous test. If that helps then get some prilosec.

Thanks guys, I'm going to give that Prilosec a try. And njoynlife, I do believe in that dirty colon stuff because for 12 years, I had an average of 3-4 stomach aches a week. Sometimes, they were so painful, that I would just want to die, seriously. I couldn't get through one week without getting a stomach ache. Everytime, I got a stomach ache, I had to mix some baking soda with water to help alleviate the pain, but that didn't always work. Then finally, I tried that colon cleansing program, and today, I haven't had a stomach ache in 4 months. Whether or not a "dirty colon" was involved, the fact still remains that it solved my problem that has plagued me for 12 years. (Note: the stomach aches that I got when I had a dirty colon and from eating certain foods felt different and were much much much more painful than the minor stomach pains that I'm currently getting)

sounds more like IBS but yes go to your doctor :)

I think your problem is beyond the self help category and you should seek professional help as Med Help said.

njoynlife wrote:

tosh9i wrote:

for 12 years, I had an average of 3-4 stomach aches a week. Sometimes, they were so painful, that I would just want to die, seriously. I couldn't get through one week without getting a stomach ache.

Well, as I stated, I no longer have that problem. And the last time I went to a doctor when I had a stomach ache after eating some food, he said, if it causes you pain then don't eat it.

MedHelp and njoynlife, I wanted to thank you guys for your brilliant advice. It turns out that the Prilosec worked and I'm not getting those minor stomach aches. Thanks again.

Don't take Prilosec forever or you will cause yourself a whole host of other problems in the long run like mineral deficiencies, give yourself SIBO or some other overgrowth like yeast. You also will become less tolerant to digesting proteins etc. Get off of that stuff and find out the root cause of your issue. Try removing gluten and dairy for a month and see how you feel. Sounds like you have food sensitivities. Prilosec is only going to make all of this worse but mask the symptoms. Good luck.