A few weeks ago I experienced a burning sensation while urinating. It felt just like the other UTIs I've had, so I went to the doctor. There were white blood cells in my urine, so I was prescribed Bactrim, and the burning cleared up within a day or two. I've felt fine ever since.

This week, my doctor's office called me back and said that, though there were white blood cells in my urine, my cultures showed that there was no UTI.

I'm confused as to what else could be causing the white blood cells in my urine (especially since it felt just like a UTI and the symptoms were cleared up with a UTI antibiotic). I've been in a monogamous relationship for two years, so it's nothing STD related. I'm getting quite nervous over this, even though my nurse didn't sound too worried on the phone, and didn't express that there was any rush for me to go back into the office.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.

I'm not sure if this is a double post but let me summarize in case it isn't: I'm not sure what the cause is, but can you tell me what your doctor says is a next step? I'm curious to hear. THanks!

Hi. It is a double post, I entered the first one as a guest and didn't think that it would actually make it onto the site, so I created an account and re-posted. I have an appointment at the start of next week, I'll post the outcome on here.

You might have a condition called interstitial cystitis or IC. I thought I was getting UTIs every month but the labs always came back as negative for infection. I get all the symptoms of a UTI but it isn't. A doctor finally told me about IC and now I am on medication to control the pain. Y

***post is edited by moderator *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Hope you find some help