Hello. I'm 28 year old female and just recently I have started to suffer from frequent urinary tract infections. I don’t know a lot about this and that’s why I need some good advices. About three months ago I have first time noticed some typical urinary infections symptoms such as frequent urination that is irritating or burning, a persistent urge to urinate even after the bladder has been emptied, and cramping or pressure in the lower abdomen.
I have contacted me doctor over this and he prescribed me some antibiotics for it. I was using them for a week and the problems returned when I stopped. Please tell me, are there any good over the counter medications for uti?

Hi. I have also had problems with these urinary tract infections and I also have used several different antibiotics for it. The truth is that some of them really worked and stopped the infection but not the reinfections. Don’t get me wrong- I'm not saying that I'm planning to stop using these classic antibiotics but I was interested to find also some over the counter medication to use along with the antibiotics.
To enhance antibiotic effectiveness, take 400 mg a day of enzymes such as bromelain and trypsin.
Over the counter products containing phenazopyridine such as Azo-Standard or Prodium may be used to relieve pain, burning, and urgency, but they do not treat the infection.
To treat and to prevent recurrences, drink 4 to 10 ounces a day of cranberry juice.

I am 21 years old and have already had persistent utis for years now. The only antibiotic that ever worked for me is Macrobid or the generic for it. (The generic is like 50 bucks!) I would not recommend AZO, because it can turn your urine an orange or red color. Your uti could become a bladder infection and you would never know because the azo would disguise the blood in your urine. This happened to me one time, and I never took it again. If you think utis are painful, try having a bladder infection!!

i have had UTI's for about a year now and they are getting worse my doctors are talking about putting me on antibiotics daily. honestly when you start getting symptoms you should see your doctor immediatly, they can and will get worse as they progress. and the best pain medication ive found for them is Uristat i like it better than AZO it works faster on me it does change your urine orange but it helps the pain. another trick is to stop eating alot of sugars and drink lots of water.the doctors told me a gallon a day, plus vitamin c helps your immune system. hope this can help you and hopefully you feel better.

UTI AND BLADDER INFECTIONS ARE THE SAME THING!

UTI and bladder infections are the same thing. A bladder infection is a specific type of of UTI. The other types of UTI's are urethra infection and kidney infection

100% pure cranberry juice (not blended juice cocktail)
wipe front to back after toiletting,
pee after sex,
drink more and more water...
some tips that girlfriends have shared over the years.
daily stuff to avoid having the UTI become chronic.

I only have what everyone else is saying. I've had Uti's over and over agin for the past 2 and 1/2 years. I have gone on different antibiotics and have had the same problem where as soon as i stop taking them the Uti return. I do everything recomended... drink tons of water, wipe front to back, pee after sex, i even take craneberry pills everyday (i hate the taste of craneberry juice), i've done everything! I had to go see a specialist who put me on "daily" antibiotics... (RX said: Take with sex, which i found amusing :-) ) That helped to except the fact that they cost an arm and a leg for the pills!!! I'm a student and i don't have money to waste on these pills :-(

The only thing i recomend is get freindly with your doctor, so that when you start to feel the "twinge" (as my family calls it) of a UTI coming on you can just call them to ask them to call a RX in to the pharmacy for you so you don't have to make the doctor's visit, and while you are at the pharmacy you can pick up something for the pain.... Uristat i have found the best (it does turn your urine orangey-red... but i will take that over the pain anyday!!)... AZO work just as well although it take a little while longer to work...

AZO also has come out with a craneberry pill that has small dose of antibiotics in it (Small enough to be able to sell it OTC)... i have been taking those daily along with more craneberry pills and TONS and TONS of water.

It is comforting to know other people have the same problem with reaccuring UTI's. Thank you for all your support everyone and i hope my post helps someone :-)

I am sure glad to read all of these comments. I find myself to have a uti periodically and i seam to notice it around my menstrual time for some reason. but I am glad I do have an appt with another doctor i had taken microbid was good for a while and now here it is back again. I am no longer embarrassed of this infection and glad to know that this is common. I just dont want it to escalate into a Kidney infection thank you all.
Sally

Sometimes we girls must consider that we may be getting these UTI's from our male sex partners!!! They may not feel the symptoms and have a UTI and not know it which can be passed to us. Have your sex partner checked for a UTI....especially if you are with the same partner all the time.....because he may be getting it from another girl

The last reply I read was to get male partners checked because they may be getting it from another girl. I could be wrong but I swear I read that it's not transferable.

"You girls" aren't getting your UTI's from your male partners. If a guy has a UTI, he knows it and its normally fatal to his urinary tract. If you knew anything about the male vs. female anatomy it makes sense. Among other reasons, the urinary tract of a male is very long, as such it is harder for it to get infected. The urinary tract of a female is very short, which makes it very easily infected. If a male has a UTI it is extremely painful and extremely hard to get rid of.

If you're prone to getting UTI's, along with urination after sexual contact and wiping correctly, make sure you drink extra water and cranberry juice when you know you're going to be having sexual contact and after the contact as well. Sure you end up urinating alot, but it cleans out your urinary tract from the bacteria that could be there.

The vagina's characteristics make it a ripe environment for bacteria. The female urinary tract opening isn't far away from the vaginal opening, thus the bacteria have a short, easy path to travel during sexual contact. This is why it is important to urinate after sex and drink plenty of water and cranberry juice to make sure you flush out all of the bacteria that possibly got into the urinary tract during sexual contact.

That's the medical perspective. Thank you.

After years of UTI infections, I have learned that the best preventive, along with daily cranberry juice, is asking my husband to shower or wash before sex. A male does not have to have an infection himself to deposit bacteria in the vagina.

I am a 42 year old man and have had UTI's for most of the last 4 years. Judging by the response of my urologists, UTI's are rare in men. Over the same period my wife has not had any infections. I have been subjected to every test imaginable and have taken several courses of different antibiotics. I found out (the hard way) that I am allergic to Bactrim. None of the antibiotics provided any relief. Most of the time my UTI is confined to my prostate, you can feel it in your kidneys. My symptoms are typically mild after urination and strong after sex or defecation (due to the interaction with the prostate). It is difficult to get a positive test result from my urine, but I can get one from my semen. My condition is sometimes called acute or chronic bacterial prostatitis. I take AZO Cranberry daily and may have had some success taking Udamin (a prescription saw palmetto, prostate specific multivitamin) along with wearing a copper bracelet. Sounds like baloney, but it put me into remission for 6 months before, and I hope it will again. I haven't tried the AZO Standard yet. If I can only take it for 2 days, what's the point? Getting an appointment with a Urologist (my 3rd) takes about 6 weeks to 2 months. And all they want to do is treat me for prostate cancer or a vasectomy.

Something everyone should know...UTI can also be one of the only symptoms of chlamydia. I just found out my boyfriend cheated on me over a year ago and I've had the STD. I've had a few UTI's since and now I know why. He had no symptoms at all and had no idea he had it. It's so important to get tested for it because down the road it can cause sterility, which is a problem I now potentially face. And just like a UTI all it takes is an antibiotic to get rid of it.