42 year old woman with intense flare-ups for over a year in urethral bladder area with constant low level nausea. The symptoms I am concerned about began a year ago when I presented with a swollen pelvic lymph node, nausea, bloating, pelvic pain (differing from diagnosed endometriosis of twenty years) and low vibration sound in left ear. Sharp and dull pains around bladder and g-spot area... feel like I need orgasm, but then may suffer more afterwards. Often pain with urination. These symptoms have continued for over a year as extreme flare-up of symptoms, not always present... (but more so than not) sometimes exacerbated with sexual contact, not always... doesn't seem cycle related. Tested for UTI's and STD's by several practitioners with neg findings. Took antibiotics without success, nystatin and months of yeast free diet without success. Am taking lots of vitamins now... and had a laproscopy for endometriosis two months ago (with a neg finding for IC). My endo symptoms are better... the symptoms that began with the lymph node in my groin over a year ago remain. I need help. My life is at a standstill. I feel like I have an infection of some sort (also 6 mos. ago I had a cervical polyp removed). The only relief I have felt is with a chinese herbal formula I was given for "bladder infection" however afterwards I am self treating for yeast with boric acid suppositories... this is a continual cycle. I would appreciate any insight you may offer. Thank you.

Wow, your post really sounded just like me! I've had the same symptoms you're describing, since the end of December. I had a UTI in January but that's gone, however the burning, pressure, nausea, and feeling like needing an orgasm continue! I'm blown away by your description, especially about the orgasm symptom! I thought I was loosing my mind! The doctor is finally sending me to a urologist, but get this......my appointment isn't until May!!!! More suffering, not that it matters because they probably won't be able to diagnose it anyway! I'm totally disgusted at this point....and depression is now setting in. Anyone have any suggestions as to what this may be??

hi, thanks for writing...
I am still struggling with "flare-ups"--less of the urethral pain on urination... for now, but continuing pelvic/bladder pain, intermittant nausea, pain at hips, low back etc.

My latest treatment strategies: Seeing a pelvic floor Physical therapist, taking pumpkin seed oil (supposedly for possible interstitial cystitis), and just a couple weeks ago was tested and found an overgrowth of ecoli vaginally (after 8 months since my last vaginal culture)... this can cause UTI's... I am imagining I have had cycle of infections and have self treated using a chinese herbal formula... but never kicked it... I have been quite ill. I am also continuing to treat for candida... tested for lyme and now mold toxicity...

I am hopeful... but still experiencing some discomfort and fatigue (maybe due to living with an undiagnosed infection for months).

I hope your appt. in May is helpful and illuminating in some way. The other thing I have wondered about is "urethral syndrome" which can be a low grade infection somehow referring to the 'g-spot"... but I am clearly not a dr... just a woman wanting wellness. I wish this for you too.

May health and wellness bless us all!

Man, I have had the same symptoms with no luck either. I have been tested for UTI's (which I have had and they have gone away and come back), STD's (neg. results), and had different pelvic examinations. Nothing yet. I feel like I have some sort of infection as well. I have general milaise. I have a pain in my lower left abdomen too. It is intermittant and is in the area of what I believe would be my fallopian tube. Good luck to you.

good luck to you too.

Well,here I am again, no further than I was last time I posted. I was supposed to see a urologist in may but it was moved up to march since there were atypical cells found in my urine. Since then I've had a cystoscopy, bladder wash, CT scan which found gallbladder stones but nothing else, and a cystourethrogram to check for a urethral diverticulum which the urologist thought she felt upon examination! All tests were negative. The urologist wants me to use estrogen cream which I won't do being that my mother had breast cancer. So now I don't see her again till september. I'm in excrutiating pain most of the time with pelvic pressure all the time. I guess I'm stuck with a syndrome! Very depressed. My family doctor told me that the urologist reported that I have a uterine prolapse and a bladder prolapse...but the urologist never mentioned it to me! I cry everyday over this "thing" that took over my life. I was fine till I had a bladder infection in january. I've been in pain ever since.

Hi, HELP PLEASE!!!!. My urologist diagnosed me with Urethral syndrome a while back. I have had numerous amount of tests, cystoscopy, mri scan, about 20 urine tests which are all clear!!! Nothing seems to be visable to the doctors at all, but expect from my symptoms that it is Urethral syndrome.... god this is so irritating and upsetting, I wish it would just go away!! They have today discharged me from hospital as they have said in there own words there is nothing more they can do for me, what am I too do now. This started about 1 and a half years ago when I started to have sexual intercourse.... I have been to the GUM clinic to double check, but it defintly isnt a sexual disease, doctors first thought it was a urine infection, but was negative. My sex life and everyday life is suffering with this.... is there anyone out there who knows what I am experiencing? Have any tips.... be much appreciated!! Any questions please ask away. Thanks, Natalie (20YRS OLD)

I hate this. I have had urethral pain for 7 years. No one has ever known what it was from. I have had 30 UTI infections in the last 7 years. I think I screwed my bladder up. When I was 15 I had a UTI... didn't know what it was. I let it go for so long that i was urinating blood. I wish this would stop. I take cranberry everyday and I also take uristat to releive the feeling of pressure. The outer part of the urethra burns sometimes. like the vaginal tissue is very sensetive.

I don't know what to tell you ladies. I am still looking for an answer and have yet to find one. I have just called it my bladder pain. "No I can't go swimming today I have bladder pain." " I need to go to sleep cuz my bladder hurts" It is depressing and scary. I can't take advil or anything because it will upset my bladder.

There has to be an answer. Someone has to know what is going on!!!

This is so weird, reading that I'm not the only one who has the feeling that they kind of 'need' an orgasm to relieve the pain that accompanies a bladder/urethra pain flare. I was diagnosed with IC, having been fine till a severe, horrendous UTI three years ago that just never went away and has morphed into a series of flares and remissions. 90% of my life is spent in a flare, where I have dragging pain that feels like someone is removing my bladder (and often cervix) with a crochet hook, stabbing electrical pains that shoot down into my feet and backwards into my loin area, and buzzing, almost-pleasurable-but-not sensations that feel like my clitoris has been overstimulated. My bladder reacts horrifically to many of the typical trigger foods on the IC list but I also have a pain near my right fallopian tube/ovary that makes me want to cut my own tummy open just to be able to massage what feels like a tender, throbbing lump there.
I take 200mg of slow-release morphine a day, along with amitryptiline and ucerax to calm my bladder pain but the urethral pain gets me down. When it's really bad I can't do anything, I just find myself sitting staring and I can't even concentrate on a conversation during a bad evening.
Any suggestions appreciated :-) and hope you all have a bearable Christmas-time.

I am a healthy 31 year old woman who has been battling intense urethral pain since I was in my early 20's. At first doctors assumed I was having severe kidney and bladder infections, but each time I went in all of the tests came up negative for common UTI bacteria, (with the exception of a visit to an actual urologist who uncovered I had E-coli... a coincidence perhaps, but who knows...?)

The symptoms are nearly always the same.... I can go several months with no problems, but then, seemingly out of nowhere I will begin to experience a sensation like that of urine still remaining after voiding and mild discomfort, which will evolve into a full-blown flare up. The intensity of pain is enough to bring me to my knees. There is no way I could possibly work, drive or even try to hold an intelligible conversation while the pain threshold is at such a level. The pain is almost entirely focused along the urethra, the worst is at the urethral opening. It feels like there is a razor blade at the opening, cutting it's way out of my body. Sometimes my clitoris throbs along with the pain which adds to the misery.

Sex during a flare up is out of the question. As are certain foods, most of all anything citrus. I can tell these are not the cause of my pain but they do tend to exacerbate a problem/or weakness that exists already. A naturopath doctor believed my symptoms were suggestive of IC, but no one has officially diagnosed me with it. A urologist discovered I was in fact retaining urine after voiding, but did not substantiate the IC diagnosis. This last flare-up has been going on for 3 months now. I have been ingesting copious amounts of pain pills. It is a poor attempt to mask the pain and I know I am doing nothing to cure my condition. It is so frustrating to have an illness so debilitating, and so painful, yet invisible to the human eye, and just as impossible to diagnose or cure. I wonder if there is not some bacteria that is not easily detected by standard urine cultures... urethral ulcers...?

It is comforting to read everyone's posts. I am sorry that so many others are experiencing the same pain that I am. At the same time, it is somehow encouraging to know I am not alone in this. I welcome any suggestions you might have.

I've had bladder pain, too. Was prescribed Vesicare, and that took care of the pain the past year and a half or so.

But in the past few months, I've had esophageal pain (to the point I went to the hospital, thinking it was a heart attack), memory loss, loss of libido, and increasingly blurry vision. Not fun. But I thought it was all perimenopausal symptoms until I read of others having similar symptoms while on Vesicare.

So I stopped Vesicare three days ago, and everything is better, especially the esophageal pain. I'll never go back to Vesicare.

But the bladder pain is back. I ordered pumpkin seed oil, and I'll see what happens with that. The makers of Vesicare (GlaxoSmithKline) offer a product in Germany that has pumpkin seed oil as a main ingredient for bladder and prostate problems. Hmmm.

In the meantime, ibuprofen helps for a couple of hours, but of course, too much of that will wreck my kidneys.

I'm also going to look into accupuncture.

Maybe Vesicare will help you. Drugs work differently on everyone, depending upon their genetic makeup. Some day the pharma companies will get it straight.

39 year old female finally diagnosed with urethral diverticulum. it was accidentally found on an mri i received for fibroids. turns out firoids are not necessarily causing the extreme pain as previously thought. too bad cause i went through surgery for the fibroids first. now have to have another surgery for urethral diverticulum.
Sounds like all of these ladies may have this same condition. It seems to be more intense when my cycle is on, that's why fibroids were originally blamed. The pain is extreme and i can not walk for at least an hour after urinating. Afraid to get surgery but can't live with this pain anymore. There are risks, but what else can i do. This pain is taking my best years, it has already stolen 4 of them from me. Have to take CIPRO for 10 days and get more x-rays and prepare for surgery. Lord help us all!

My daughter had urinary pain, felt she had to urinate often. Got up often in the nights also. She also thought it felt worse after she urinated. Was treated for urinary infections often. BUT tested NEGATIVE for urinary infection and they finally have found one of her urithrel glands is infected. Now is on a MONTH of medication to clear it up. Get to a new urologist. I suffered twenty five years with urinary pain that could not be diagnosed.....check your diet for irritants, go to a new doctor, and if still no luck, look outside the box for a healer or try acupuncture, or some homeopathic products. Sometimes even taking an antihistamine can help if you have some allergic thing going on

I have had a constant burning sensation in the uretha since I got a UTI several months ago. The UTI has cleared up but the burning continued even when not urinating. My doctor told me to drink 4 oz. of cranberry juice in the morning and at night. It has to be pure cranberry juice-no additives, sugar or other juices. I have to say that it has worked so far. I don't know how long it will take before I can discontinue drinking this but it is a small price to pay. If you haven't tried the pure cranberry juice-give it a try.

anyone having the same issues after having had an hysterectomy?

I have these same problems as most people here for 2 mos after having an hysterectomy (complete one). Since my surgery I had seen my OBGYN 5 times, first 2 times I was given meds for UTI that I did not have, then I got a HUGE yeast infection (I am sure from the meds) they gave me cream for that and it cleared after 2 rounds...I am still in horrible pain mainly in the urethra opening but going all the way up and causing some abdominal pain as well...pain is MUCH worst after urinating...the sharp pain is constant...like a knife is in there....the pain is there since the minute I woke up from surgery, I kept telling them and they all ignored me saying it is "normal" to have pain there after a surgery like that and to push the morphine button....

I am 40yrs old and I take hormones since my surgery...could this be the cause of my problemes....I thake estratest

my OB is now sending me to the urologist
I hope they dont tell me I have one of these problems with no cure
I am so tired of this pain
I wished I had not gone through the hysterectomy and just managed the other pain I had from endometriosis at least that had an end and I knew when I would get it.