In the past, I had three full blown UTI's where my urine showed bacteria. One was definitely sex caused, and one occurred a day and a half after sex. However, once my boyfriend and I started having sex on a daily basis I began to experience a constant feeling of needing to urinate. It's not extremelly urgent or painful; there's no pain when I urinate. I've seen a urologist and he thinks it's just overactive bladder, but I'm not sure. The only test I've had done besides urine tests was an abdominal cat scan which revealed no kidney stones or anything bad. Taking antibiotics after sex hasn't helped. I've tried taking probiotics, and now I'm drinking lots of green tea because I've read that helps. (Cranberry juice didn't do much either). Does ANYONE have any idea what this could be? I'm beginning to lose hope that I'll ever feel better.

Oh, I've also been tested for STD's twice, since my boyfriend and I started having sex.

I have had UTI's for over 10 years. The first thing you must do is buy an at home test kit (from your local drugstore) or go to the doctor and get tested to determine if you have an actual bladder infection or just symptoms of a UTI but no infection. Then you can determine how to treat it. You must do this because if you take antibiotics for a Urinary Tract Infection and you do not really have one you are doing far more damage than you know. The antibiotics will then irritate your bladder lining and make you more prone to Interstitial Cystitis.
If it turns out you are negative for an infection you could have a condition called "Interstitial Cystitis" or if you have just recently gotten over a UTI then it is not abnormal to still have some symptoms because your bladder lining is irritated. You must know if you have an infection still or just the symptoms though.
You can mange your symptoms by taking tums and 1/4 tablespoon of Baking soda in water. Pyrdiam (RX only) or Azo (over the counter) will also help alleviate your symptoms however do not take them for more than 2 days as they can harm your kidneys.
Please read this book: "You don't have to live with Cystitis" by Larrian Gillespie. She talks about both Cystitis and Intersitial Cystitis. She adresses common causes of repeat UTI's (like lower back nerves being faulty due to injury you may not even know about that send improper signals to your bladder causing you to not pee as much as you should which in turn causes UTI's) and how diet can affect Interstitial Cystitis. Things you will not hear from your Urologist or on the internet, but it is so very helpful. Also, you should change your tampon every time you go to the bathroom before you pee because it can obstruct your flow and trap bacteria giving you an infection. These are just a few things I learned from the book.
Personally, I have found that 100% D-mannose supplements or powder taken daily keep away infections, but I still have symptoms of a UTI with no infection too and I will use Quercetin vitamins to reduce the inflammation (which I suspect is my problem and it helps). Try lubricant like Astroglide (Not KY!) when you have sex too and pee after you are finished. I think the book can help you - hope that helps!

I have been getting urinary tract infections since i was very young - but recently they have gotten much much worse. I am very familiar with the symptoms and the remedies on how to prevent them. I never drink soft drinks, but basically live off of cranberry juice. I always shower after sex, wipe front to back, and clean myself extremely well but nothing works.

More recently I have the symptoms daily-- but now no infection shows up in the culture. I have all the same symptoms of a uti except that the pain usually felt only during urination is constant. The burning never stops. The pain is so awful that I can barely walk and am basically helpless. I have been to my personal physician, a urologist, and a gynocologist and no one can seem to give me any answers. I have even been put to sleep and tested for interstitial cystitis and honestly -- everything else.

At this point -- I do not even care about a name of what i have or what it is -- i am just dying to get some type of relief. If anyone can help me i cant tell you how grateful I would be. The times where the symptoms ease are less often now than when I have the symptoms. The only way i seem to get any temporary comfort is to sit in a extremely hot bath. But as i said -- its as temporary as me getting in the tub and getting out. In the last week, I have probably run my bath water 50-60 times. I have been to three doctors this week only and no one can help me - and furthermore, just arent very helpful. I feel like if they had any clue what kind of pain i was in- or if they were experiencing it themselves that their concern would be a little bit more.

Antibiotics dont help. I have taken azo, uta, and cystex constantly and am almost convinced that I must be immune to these medications now because they dont help me at all either. all i can do honestly is cry. The pain is excrutiating and I hope hope hope someone will be able to help me.

Hi everybody! Try this:

I have the same thing i've had it for 8 years. Constant pain from going to the bathroom, but no doctors can diagnose it, im as helpless as you guys are. The pain is unbareable sometimes and other times its just super annoying. I've i've tried all the doctors and medications, i've even seen a psychyatrist for it. Nothing worked. But i figured out how to get rid of it(mine at least)

first off STOP DRINKING cranberry juice!!! dont ever drink a soda, fruit juice, alcoholic beverage EVER again... ever no orange juice, milk, jack daniels, beer, apple juice, carrot juice or anything...ever. And drink like 6-8 glasses of H20 a day. Thats all. It takes a while to flush your system of all the sugar out but i sware it'll help you.

I started doing this about a year ago, it was constant pain EVERY day ALL the time. Like I said I tried everything, so I started to record everything I ate/drank in a book along with how i felt everytime i went to the bathroom and the symptoms were horrible when i had a sugary drink or was dehydrated. I went for 2 months without ANY problems at all, after 8 years of constant pain it was a freaking miracle. One day though i messed up and drank some Sunny D at my friends house and guess what? i had problems for 3 days. It was insane.

Really give it a try, i'm telling you it'll help. My guess its a sugar allergy thats hard to detect. I've been on other forums and told people to try it and it worked for like, 7 of them. Hope you guys get rid of it soon. :-D

Hi sugar allergy person, I have all the same symptoms, no doctors have been able to help. No infection present in urine samples. I am on the no sugar/no alcohol etc diet at the moment to see will they clear my symptoms. How long were you restricting sugars before the symptoms cleared? My symptoms are worse. I'm hoping it is due to the 'die off' - symptoms get worse while the yeast and sugars are dieing...I don't know what else to do. I feel if I see a urologist they wont be able to help either as I have been checked out thoroughly - xrays, internal exams, smears etc have all shown nothing. I really hope this diet will work. It worked for my persistent yeast infections in my vagina so hopefully this is what the problem with my bladder is related to. Fingers crossed and thanks for your post. 

Hello All, having suffered this severely disabling condition for four years I feel so badly for you. My urologist did everything he knew but failed. At the point that I was feeling suicidal I searched the internet for other causes of these awful symptoms (there wasn't much information available in those days) but the Interstitial Cystitis Foundation helped significantly. Through that avenue I learned that stress and anxiety can actually be a cause of these symptoms. To this day (eight years later) doctors continue to view me as a crazy person when I tell the story.

When my urologist conceded failure he very wisely sent me back to my primary for follow up on possible other conditions. This very excellent physician immediately placed me on Effexor XR, Trazodone, and Xanax after taking one look at my condition and asking just a few questions about my life situation. Within two weeks the symptoms were completely gone. After four months the Xanax was discontinued and I now continue to faithfully take my "maintenance" meds. I was suffering from a terrible anxiety disorder that I didn't know I had because I had never known what it was to feel like a "normal" person. I had been functioning superbly in both my personal and professional lives and had somehow managed to not only live with but also conceal my anxiety condition until it all came to head. Good luck to you. And if the doctor thinks you're nuts it's because you are. And you need help!!

Hi, I understand how you all feel as I had the same symptoms for around 3 months this year. I spent hundreds on doctors visits only to find that there was no infection present in urine samples sent to the lab. I ended up in the accident and emergency dept. one weekend the pain was so bad. This is after taking 4 different antibiotics. 

I then thought that it was Candida related as I've had many vaginal yeast infections. After 2 weeks on a strict yeast/alcohol/sugar free diet the symptoms had not improved and I still felt as if I had to pass urine constantly. 

I then went to see my kinesiologist. Kinesiology is not recognised by many medical doctors. I was skeptical myself when I saw this lady 3 years ago after the birth of my baby but I have found the treatment excellent. I would have done anything to get rid of the constant feeling of having to go to the bathroom and the burning pain. My kinesiologist said that the problem was emotional. I've had a very difficult year so this made sense. Stress builds up in the body and can cause symptoms like these if not properly dealt with. 

She worked on some pressure points and the next day my symptoms were gone. I've never been so relieved or happy in my life. Doctors kept prescribing me antidepressants which I think may cover up my  problems rather than dealing with them. Sometimes people need antidepressants and they are a life saver in some situations but I just felt that wasn't the solution for me at the time. I would not even mention kinesiology to any of my doctors because they just look at you like you're crazy. There is no place for alternative medicine in their practice but I will do whatever works for me to feel better whatever the treatment! Just make sure if you're going for alternative treatment that the person is reputable. Ask around before you commit to anything and talk to people who've been treated by the person before. 

I really hope you are able to sort out your problem as the symptoms are so debilitating and upsetting. You cannot enjoy life. You will find a solution somewhere so don't give up hope. 

Hi -- who is your doctor and where is he located -- I wish I had someone like that! Good for you!

I'm in Ireland, I suppose there's no point in giving you the name of the kinesiologist if you are in a different part of the world. hope you feel better soon

Thanks i will try this,I also went to the Doctor yesterday with the most horrible pain thinking it was a UTI infection but no bacteria showed up in my urine,i was scared because i was thinking OMG it could be something else their just not finding it,But i will try this and pray it works,Thanks for the heads up...

I'm in Ireland and have the same problem you did. Could you say the name of the doctor. I'm so desperate for relief

aoife wrote:

anniej wrote:

anniej

Like Aoife I am also in Ireland and would love to get the name of your contact also....I am waiting on swab and smear test results due to uti symptoms with no urine infection and no STI and I am worried what next if all is clear. Thanks

Hi I'm having the same exact symptoms I can't handle it anymore!i was wondering if you ever found out what was wrong?if symptoms went away?or are you steal dealing with these symptoms please respond I'm desperate!

I would appreciate the name of the kinesiologist in Ireland, cheers!

That is funny you said that bc a few years ago I stop eating or drinking sugar and for that whole year I had no infection. But now I have them 2x a month and it is so hard and the pain...