Sorry this is long... Since Aug 2007 I have had intense vaginal, vulva and perineal pain, irritation & itching. Pain always occurs after sex with my husband. We have been together 12 years and this is a new problem. Pain was going away after a couple weeks especially after abstinence. Since Dec 07 I can't get rid of constant pain, irritation, itching. I have no discharge, foul smell, I do not have an STD, Bacterial of yeast infection. I have ruled out allergy to semen (my husband used condom and I still had problem.) I changed all perfumed soaps, lotions, shaving creams, detergents, with no change in symptoms. The problem starts 1-2 days after sex. i get itchy skin, irritation and pain, skin feels very dry. takes 1-2 weeks to go away if i abstain from sex. sex feels very painful. i feel very dry inside, insertion is painful. lots of friction during sex even with lubrication. vagina feels tight, scratchy? during sex. i am 29, i have normal periods and my hormones are normal. any ideas what it could be?

Did you use a condom every time? because my very first thought was that this sounds like a latex allergy.. try a different mode of contraception and see if that has any effect.

Hello.

I am a 27 year old female who experienced the same problem. Went to several top gynos who told me there was no problem. I live in Philadelphia and I finally contacted the Pelvic and Sexual Health Institute and they diagnosed me with VVS. There are several treatments available, although they do not have as much information on the topic as they would like. I have been going for a year and have had several setbacks. There could be several reasons for the inflammation of the vulva. It is a frustrating disorder, but more frustrating is the fact that not many females experience it and not many doctors know what it is. I would contact them and if you are far from the area, I would ask your regular gyno where you could find someone who specializes in sexual health disorders. Good luck.

I have the same problem - lack of my natural self-lubricant seems to be a big part of the problem. Most lube irritates me - but coconut oil works!!!

Still, I have the same issue, and my boyfriend and I struggle a lot with it as a couple.

i had a similar issue about 8 yrs into our marriage. I am allergic to LATEX! We'd wait a few days. I'd start to feel better then we'd have sex and the burning, itching, sore, stinging and tenderness would return in the matter of hours. It was awful. My gyno figured it out so now we either use non-latex, polyurethene or lamb skin condoms or simply go without. It's 18 yrs of marriage now and not a problem since then. We keep it natural the way God intended for our bodies to be and the problems are all gone! Good luck!