I have been sexually active now for almost four years. Never once in these years have I experienced this. However, in the past 6-12 months (too hard to remember) i have been experiencing this constant burning around the opening of my vagina, not quite inside, more like the tissue on the very opening of the hole. My boyfriend and I have been together about 2 years and like I said, this hadn't ocurred until halfway through our relationship. When we began having sex, we would do it every day, maybe twice or even three times a day. it was perfectly fine then. Then the mood died and it wasn't as frequent, but about almost a year into that I began experiencing this burning sensation. Every time I have this burn, whether it be the first 10 minutes or a half hour later, guranteed. I've been told it was because it was too frequent why i was experiencing this, but I've waited weeks, even months at a time to try again, and still the same result. I feel as if this is ruining my life because it depresses me every time it happens. What's wrong with me?

Hello there,

I am sorry to hear you are having discomfort during intercourse. With this burning it could be from being too dry. Try lubing it up a little bit. You never mentioned if you have this burning sensation while urinating...and do you get itchy at all? It may be a yeast infection if you have any of those things. If you are unsure you can try going to a sex clinic and they should be able to give you some answers of any questions you might have.

I hope this helps, and good luck!

I have the same exact problem! also monogomous.. we used to have sex so much until the mood died and now it hurts horrifically every time we go to start, or 10 minutes later.

im going to the doctor tomorrow, maybe ill post what they said.

Hey, I've had the same burning thing...but it's definetely outside around the skin...and I even got swollen last time...and it hurt really bad and freaked me out! Did any of you find out what it was....like a yeast infection or anything? Thanks.....please HELP!!

yea i get the exact same thing. I hate it..I have to cut off having sex like only a few mins in.....it doesn't permantly effect my vagina it goes away after a little while-the burning that is- but it happens every time i have sex and it hurts to much to keep going.
And its def. not 'too'dry' we tried using lots of lube to help it..different poisitions..and NOTHING grrr >;)
It has on different times. gotten swollen to...but nothing else really points it to an infection, or std. NOTHING- what is it?
Its becoming a problem in our love life.!!!help

It sounds like your problem is vulvodynia (I've had this condition for 7 years now). It's where the nerves around the entrance to the vagina become too sensitive, exactly why this happens is not known but it isn't because of too much or too frequent sex (I wondered the same thing when it first happened to me). If you see a doctor mention vulvodynia as a possibility, since some doctors haven't heard of it and it took a long time for me to get a diagnosis. Treatment is usually tablets, Gabapentin is a good one to try.

Hello!
I'm here for the same reason... Only difference is I've already been to the doctor! I've been given three different antibiotics so far (over the course of nearly two months), I've started soaking in epsom salt, and I'm still having issues! It's a little better, but still no real relief. I'm fine nearly all of the rest of the time, just burns having sex...

Any thoughts?

I am having the same problem as ya'll. I only have really bad burning during sex, but it is not on the outside, it is definitely inside. I don't have burning during urination or any other time. My boyfriend and I have been together for 2 years and have never had problems, now all of a sudden in the past four months we can't have sex because it hurts so bad. I have been to three different doctors. I don't have stds, a yeast infection, or a bacterial infection. I have tried changing all of my stuff to hypoallergenic and nothing works. It has literally destroyed our sex life, we have been almost completely abstinent for 4 1/2 months now. I don't know what else to do, it hurts so bad and it is really hurting my relationship. I have become extremely depressed over this and don't know what else to do. It has basically ruined my life and no doctor can seem to help me.

Ive Heard that doing Kegels can help in this department. Ive been having the same problem, and it just came on all of a sudden, so I started to do these excercises and things have been alot better during sex. The Pain does not come on as fast and when it does, it doesn't burn as much. Im thinking that if i keep on doing the kegels, that this huge problem will eventually not be a problem anymore. :-)

ive been sexually active for about a year with the same partner. Everything in our love life has been fine, i don't have a yeast infection or anything, im going through the same thing. I have slowly drift away from sex, and still try it sometimes, but it hurts so much that we just have to stop because of how painfull it is. I don't know what it could be. It really sucks because its depressing. But it just hurts alot, like inside, it almost feels like loosing it all over again each time, and it's the worst feeling on earth for me, of how bad!

I have the same problem! My burning has been going on for about the past 8 months...I mean its not to bad at the beging of sex but dang towards the end its buring so bad i cant even stand it. I also get frequent uti's and yeast infections...and i have good meds for those but i am still having the burning. Its really not fair to my partner cause we have to call it quits because of my. If you have any answers please HELP!!! :$

my advise is that if you have the burning sensation, you realy need to have swabs taken at the dr's office to check for any infections.

Same thing has been happening to me for about a year. Monogamous relationship, first year sex was great then I started getting recurrent yeast/bacterial infections and also UTIs. The burning is on the outside, right at the entrance. Feels as though the skin isn't stretching - lots of stinging and burning. I go to the doctor everytime it happens and have no infections. I was on the pill but then stopped because of yeast infection. Had pain-free sex for about 6 months then it hurt again. I have NO idea what this is but it is a pretty common problem so the doctors need to start helping us out. Again - pain during sex, plenty of lube, in the mood, no infections.

I have suffered with burning and painful intercourse for 4 years. During this time I have been in a monogamous sexual relationship. I have seen multiple doctors who go through the same song and dance with me and don't give me any remedies that work. In the past, I have frequent, vigorous sex in the past with partners larger than my husband and this NEVER happened. Not once.

My symptoms: Burning and itching during intercourse. It starts sometimes as soon as penetration and other times within the first 15 to 20 minutes. Sometimes it is bearable and other times it feels like sandpaper ripping through my insides and acid being poured over the raw flesh. Feeling of burning mostly and itching some is on the inside and around the vaginal opening. Often the bottom of my vaginal opening becomes ripped.

Here are the questions each one of 4 OBGYNs have asked me and my answers (all negative):

Perhaps you are having sex too frequently or vigorously? Well no, our sex is normal and we have gone for weeks without having sex to test the ‘frequency’ theory. Same symptoms while engaged in very soft, light intercourse.

Perhaps you have an allergy to your soap, the detergent that you use for your underwear etc? I use the most gentle, no perfume detergent and vegetable, non-scented glycerin soap. Unlikely that either one of these would cause irritation inside me, right?

Perhaps you have a yeast infection or vaginitis? I have been tested multiple times for both of these directly after experiencing the burning/itching symptoms and tested negative for both infections.

Perhaps you are not lubricated enough? Even when I have lubrication dripping down my legs I still have the same symptoms.

Perhaps you need to try different positions? We have tried every one in the book

Perhaps your partner is too big and/or you are too small? We are average size and like I said, I have had sex with other partners multiple times that were much larger and I didn’t experience these issues.

Perhaps if you stopped taking the Pill you would stop experiencing these problems? I stopped taking the Pill for over 6 months and the symptoms persisted.

Perhaps you are allergic to your partner’s semen? We tried using a condom multiple times with lubrication and with natural lubrication and still experienced the same issues.

Perhaps you have some kind of STD? I have been tested multiple times even with blood tests to rule out any ‘carrier’ STDs and tested negative for everything.

So – with all this being said… any suggestions or insight? I would really appreciate any feedback anyone out there has!

Thanks!!

S

I too have the burning, but like Newbee I also get "ripped" at the opening. It's been mentioned that having intercourse too frequently could be a problem, but this isn't even a remote possibility for me. My boyfriend is in the military and we rarely see each other. When we do this is the sad result when we try to have intercourse. He says it doesn't bother him, but I know it does, and I know it personally drives me insane, frustrates me not to know what's going on or how to change it. :$