Hey everyone .. I'm 18 years old and basically I was diagnosed with a bilateral varicocele a couple of months ago (I had a doppler sonography to confirm it ) and my urologist said that I could either have surgery to remove it or I can have embolization. I picked Embolization because according to my urologist it is minimally invasive , the procedure has less risks and also general anesthesia isn't needed. I'm scheduled to have this opertion done on May the 6th and well , I have a couple of questions in mind .. I'd like to hear from people who have had this procedure or people who are familiar with this procedure ( like if you personally know someone who had this done) or if you're a doctor ,a urologist or a radiologist I would really appreciate your feedback. So here are the questions : 1) Are there any alternatives to coils for varicocele embolization (I was thinking maybe ethanol or liquid sclerosants). And if so can they be used for this procedure instead of coils , and are they as effective as coils ? 2)This procedure consists in shutting down the spermatic vein . Wouldn't that affect the ability of my testicles to drain blood and affect testicular growth ? Are the new collateral veins as efficient as the spermatic veins ? 3) Should I expect any kind of pain after this procedure ? 4) What does the procedure feel like and how long does it usually take ? Thanks in advance for your time and answers.Hey everyone .. I'm 18 years old and basically I was diagnosed with a bilateral varicocele a couple of months ago (I had a doppler sonography to confirm it ) and my urologist said that I could either have surgery to remove it or I can have embolization. I picked Embolization because according to my urologist it is minimally invasive , the procedure has less risks and also general anesthesia isn't needed. I'm scheduled to have this opertion done on May the 6th and well , I have a couple of questions in mind .. I'd like to hear from people who have had this procedure or people who are familiar with this procedure ( like if you personally know someone who had this done) or if you're a doctor ,a urologist or a radiologist I would really appreciate your feedback. So here are the questions : 1) Are there any alternatives to coils for varicocele embolization (I was thinking maybe ethanol or liquid sclerosants). And if so can they be used for this procedure instead of coils , and are they as effective as coils ? 2)This procedure consists in shutting down the spermatic vein . Wouldn't that affect the ability of my testicles to drain blood and affect testicular growth ? Are the new collateral veins as efficient as the spermatic veins ? 3) Should I expect any kind of pain after this procedure ? 4) What does the procedure feel like and how long does it usually take ? Thanks in advance for your time and answers.

Oh and one more thing .. Will the veins completely dissapear after the operation ?

Hi I relise this is a very late reply but I thought I'd share my experience with this procedure to help others. Varicocele embolization is a really simple painless procedure. I had mine done 2 years ago and it got rid of my left sided varicocele. The procedure itself caused no pain and I was back at work after 2 days, I left the hospital the same day. They used coils for me but there are alternatives they can use but it depends on your individual anatomy as to which will be most suitable for you. The spermatic vein is embolized but the collateral veins are more than sufficient to drain the testicles. The swelling started to go own after about a week. I personally had no complications. Did you have the procedure? Was it a success? 

Hi , thanks for replying .. I had the procedure done about a year ago , according to my radiologist the embolization was successful and he used both coils and a liquid sclerosant to block the enlarged veins. It went well and lasted roughly an hour and a half as I got it done on both sides. It was mostly painless but it was a little uncomfortable when he has twisting the catheter because I could feel it in my lower back. All in all it was well worth it as I noticed some testicle growth on both sides and the varicocele has reduced significantly (The enlarged veins are still there but they are half the size they were now and they aren't warm anymore they are somewhat cool (cool as in cold lol)) however I have a minor recurrence on both sides and I might go for the Microsurgical approach next year to get rid of it once and for all. Other than the minor recurrence I had no complications.

Hi, glad you had success with your embolisation. I would just like to share my story. I went for the procedure 5years ago for left side varicocele. At some point soon after it reoccurred. I regret going for it because it has affected my whole left leg. I don't know if the coils have moved, but I feel poor circulation in my left leg to the point when my left calf muscle now appears smaller. I also feel the coils at times on the left side of my lower abdomen. I have constant cracks in my left side of my lower back. The joint in my left buttock also cracks. I have read another post where someone experiences similar issues. For me they went through my right arm. The irritation of the catheter caused the vein to spasm which led it to collapse. Thus I have poor circulation in my right arm as well which causes my right shoulder to feel stiff and I have to twist it to crack. In my view I don't think it is a good idea to put foreign objects in the body and blocking off veins has consequences as our bodies need the veins that are there. I have researched herbal treatments for varicocele and to help with circulation. Take bilberry, horse chestnut and butchers broom. These help with circulation and I believe they can even assist in curing varicocele or at least preventing any symptoms. Exercise is also important and swimming in a cold pool is also good. To those that are thinking of surgery. Please think very hard about it. This condition can be treated and managed without surgery or an embolisation. Doctors say they do not really know the cause of it, but for me it is avoiding a lifestyle without exercise, thus keeping circulation and blood pressure normal.

please any one have experience with Varicocele Embolization share his experience with us !!

how is your case now bro ?

Where do I begin!! I had left variocele embolisation on the 9th jan 2015, to be honest I wish I never bothered. I thought (although I am still hopeful) it's the end of my problems that started in May 2014 - where my left testicle became very inflammed and enlarged the pain was excruciating beyond belief , I was passing blood in my urine, it was a constant dragging aching feeling. After seeing a doctor, who probably should of admitted me then there , instead gave me antibiotics and pain relief. I couldn't walk with the amount of pain I was in ... It was constant and the PR and antibiotics didn't touch it. Eventually my wife ( after her nagging for days) drove me to A&E, 20 pot holes and 2 near death experiences later , I was admitted into hosptial and stayed there for 3 days. Looking back I feel they really didnt take my case serious enough and the consultant came round with every female junior doctor in the South west of England, he dismissed it as dose of an Sti or just a urine infection of some sort . I couldn't belive what I was hearing. The hospital sent me packing and really couldn't give a hoot. The pain eased over time but was never right. The swelling was easing but the pain was still there (I wish it was the other way around). I then went private ... Wow what a con!!! The consultant ( who also works in the local hospital) couldn't get enough of me coming back weekly lining his pocket and paying for his personalised Porsche. He diagnosed me with epidiymitis orchaic ... He gave me anti biotics .. But the problem never cleared. I had another appointment with the same consultant, the local hospital , he didnt examine me, obviously because he wasn't earning £70 very 20 minutes (I'm not bitter). He asked if I was pain still. Yes. He gave me different anti biotics. Thanks. After a whole World Cup and Wimbledon. The pain didn't get much better and I was very restricted to what I could do, I was signed of work an have two young children. They then sent me for a cystcopy, which was a complete waste of time... This proved correct and there was no concerns in my bladder. I then had 4 ultra scans on my testicle and surrounding area. They could identify a variocele on my left side, which after some research is very common (the left side) why didn't they suspect this in the first place ?! Complete ineptness!!! After returning to work on restricted duties , I complained to my GP that this needed to be sorted as I was affecting me mentally and still restricting me physically.... I then had an appointment with the same consultant, who thought I had an STI or UTi , he concluded that having the embolisation was the likely way forward... Wow progress in October!!! Although he said he was sending the scans to a radioologist and make him decide if that was the right course of action. After cancelling my embolisation due to there xmas party , they rearranged it for January. May to January is a joke. Makes me think are they really on top of medical practices in the urology (with regard to embolisation etc) I have my doubts . Since my embolisation ... If feels like get a clicking sensation in my scrotum when I walk. I am having big regrets over this and was I just 'better of' in the pain I was used to or this different pain . I hope it will subside and settle down otherwise I am in big trouble with no other options.

Varicocele Embolization: How Did It Go For YOU??? and its Good/Bad Idea?????

Hello everyone,

I've been also experiencing varicocele, the veins are visible but luckily I rarely feel a little pain.

I want to heal it naturally and I saw everywhere that chestnut extract is one of the best natural remedies. I would like to know how to use it and how much?

Please help if you know such things,
Best wishes

Please son, don't have this surgery. My son had it a year ago. Coils were placed in the gonadal vein in four places as well as just above his left testical. He has been experiencing more and more pain from the left abdomen radiating through both testicals, into his back and sometimes down his leg. He cannot work, exercise, sleep or eat. He has lost 25 lbs. and looks anorexic. His mental health has deteriorated to the point of considering suicide. We are trying to find a doctor to remove the coils, but it means the excision of the entire gonadal vein. Accordingly, he could lose a kidney have damage to surrounding structures (adrenal, pancreas, spleen, stomach, bowel, great vessels, ureters, genitofemoral nerve, vas deferens, gonadal artery) possible atrophy or loss of ipsilateral testicle, experience urinary incontinence, post-op hernia or flank bulge, persistent or worsening pain, possible need for open conversion (meaning that they must go from laparoscopic surgery to opening the abdomen) and possibly need a blood transfusion. Of course there are also all the risks associated with any surgery that can include anesthesia complications, the risk of MI, DVT/PE and death. We know this because we have had conversations with multiple doctors about this. Regardless, my son is convinced that he will have the vein excised so as to be free of the coils. There is currently a youtube video you can see of a procedure in which each coil is being removed through the vein wall by a general surgeon. Just google varicocele embolization coil removal and it is the first thing to come up. This marketed as a day-surgery with little or no risk. Please think again.

varicocele embolization is a living nightmare, avoid it at all costs.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

We live in Florida and are DESPERATELY looking for doctors to TAKE OUT the coils that were placed in two of our sons.
It has been The Nightmare From Hell for them. NO ONE gave all the negatives that could (most likely WOULD) happen. Please! If this is followed and there is a known physician that does the REMOVAL OF COILS in the southeastern United States, we would like to make an appointment for consideration.

I had a varicocele procedure back in 96 when i was 13 i am now 34 and i am having abdominal pains because the embolisation clips have moved( after having an MRI Scan) i have been told by a specialist that i will have to have surgery to remove it in case it moves further to my kidney. i have been told that this is a rare case?. and don't worry about fertility as i have had 7 healthy children. i hope it all goes well for you

It is the pain, constant, that is the biggest issue. NO physician knows what to do or even what it is (Embolization Coil) even though the greatest of detail was given with internet links to help them (the doctors) prior to the office visits. It is horrendous! This last Piece of Work talked for approximately 2 minutes before he started his "mantra" of "you need to go to the Mayo Clinic"........"blah, blah, blah........the Mayo Clinic finds what no one else can figure out" along with interrupting us. He'd ask a question and as we were replying he'd blurt out "so why are you here?" We were referred to him because the previous doctor wanted to rule out that the low back pain (not to mention ALL the other pains throughout his body) wasn't caused by a car accident. It was terrible and depressing. We are driving hundreds of miles and spending a great deal of money. This is all in trying to FIND a physician who will just look at the proof and PLEASE remove these coils!