About 5 months ago I had a subinguinal varicocele ligation surgery performed on me to get rid of my left sided varicocele. I had not been in pain before the surgery the only issue was constant discomfort. Surgery went well and 4 days after the surgery I got an erection and maintained it for about 20 minutes. This gave me discomfort in my scrotum. Later that night I thought it would relieve the discomfort to masterbate, therefore I did so. After ejaculation it became sore and painful down in my scrotum. Now like I said I didn't have pain before my surgery so this concerned me. The pain and soreness slowly went away but not completely. I then ejaculated several days later. I had to go to the urgent care later that day because my scrotum had swollen up and it hurt to walk. I was prescribed more pain medication and diclofenac for inflammation. I went back to my urologist a month later and he suggested just taking ibuprofen and it should go away eventually and that it is too early to consider it a varicocele reoccurance. I took his advice, but still everytime I masterbated something in my scrotum would begin hurting a few minutes after and stay until I slept and woke up the next morning. I stopped masterbating for two weeks and the pain wasn't as bad but it got to a point where it wouldn't feel any better. I visited my urologist again and he recommended a varicocele embolization by a radiological interventionalist. I had that operation performed and there was literally no change in the pain or soreness I had been feeling. I recently went back to my urologist and explained everything to him and he said we might be looking at an unrelated issue. So I mentioned I had epididymitis before. My epididymitis never hurt me and was actually detected in an unrelated urine test (about a year before). He said he doubts its an infection but put me on a 21 day run of doxycycline 100mg just in case. He also wanted me to have another ultrasound done 2 weeks from the day I was in. I'm about 1 and 1/2 weeks since I started antibiotics and I don't think its making a difference and I also stopped masterbating even before the last appointment. But I still feel the pain and soreness. My testicle is very tender and painful to the touch in one area of it which seems to be the epididymis. This is 5 months after surgery and I feel like I'm getting nowhere! This problem is ruining my life and causing me to be depressed all the time because I can always feel it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

hi,, i am 44yrs old ,,had problems in left handside of groin since age of 10yrs,,i had 1st hernia done then ,,then struggled for 30yrs with sore testy ? very swollen and sore to touch,, anyway got another hernia where old hernia had occurred all these yrs ago ,, and was in agony since ? the 2nd hernia was done  march 2011 and since that day i have been in constant pain ,so they sent me to urolagy and they said i have a cyst on my testy and varicole ,,so they gave me a embolisation in febuary this year 2012,, i was in more pain if not worse after the OP, so back to urolagy in july and they said there is no more they can do with me other than send me to the pain clinic ,to which i have not received a letter ,,also on the day i was at urolagy they said they could take away veins and left teticle ,and said he couldnt say if taking them away would stop the pain ,, so i have urolagy at the end of this month ,october 2012,,,,but was waiting to see what pain clinic said ,,,so in other words im going back to urolagy before even seen the pain clinic,, just so annoyed with this never ending c**p,, ibrufen ,diclofenac ,naprosyn ,and every kind of antibiotics , :-@

so basically if I have a varicocele vein I should not bother about it if I have no pain right?

Uh sorry I got typing error, I have grade 2 varicocele but I do not need surgery I guess? if i dont fell pain and stuff

I had a grade 3 varicocele. The embolization was September 4th, and today is November 15th. Some veins are still thrombosed, but overall it has gone down enough to almost be 100%.My doctor prescribed me Celebrex to take twice daily to take the edge off, and now I can concentrate. I also got a nerve cord block (which cause swelling and bruising for about a week, nasty bruising). Try either of those things. The nerve cord block can tell your doctor if the pain is originating elsewhere.Has anyone experience their other testicle hurting post-OP? My embolization was on the left side, but the right side has actually started hurting now, and the left is basically asymptomac (save for sporadic flare-ups that are no too often). My doctor and I both agreed that it is probably the body trying to lateralize the condition, or make the sides symmetrical. An example would be a person getting a kidney transplant on their left kidney, and also feeling pain on the right one, post-OP.Just wondering if this really is normal.19 years old, fyi

And if you are not feeling pain or it is not disrupting your daily life, I would advise against the surgery. Healing is a b***h. I was thoroughly depressed for a month, and felt like dropping out of college (and I am an Honours student, for Chrissake).I had to get my done because, as mentioned earlier mine was a grade 3. I went to the ER August 18th for pain, and that is how I found out about it. 

I tried a pre-workout powder like 3 month ago and after that i noticed a long ass vein popped out in the left side of the sack. It turned out to be v-cele, so I probably had it coming and pre-workout just triggered it. Ever since then I started losing energy, couldn't focus on things and even think clearly, the longer I had it - the worse it made me feel, it definitely messed up my blood circulation. After a while my right one stared to hurt also and then formed a cyst in there,  f****n' crazy... :-@ I had the embolization a week ago and i don't see much of a difference so far. Maybe a little less pressure, but pain is about the same. Can't really get no rest when I sleep, got no appetite... Doctor's saying keep waiting', I'm just hopin' I didn't make it worse by the OP. 

Boltron, how long it took u to recover and get sensitivity back ?? If u had this problem, cuz my sh*t's still numb as f**k ... I'm feelin' the same way, don't know how and when I'll be able to go back to work and go to school. Definitely one of the worst things that can happen, cuz there pretty much nothing you can do bout it yourself.%-)

Today is day 73, and I am still not completely healed.I forced myself to go back to school and work about 4 days afterwards. I was just told to take loads of advil, which I did. It eventually gets really quite bearable, but like I said, I am still not normal.It says 30-45 days for most people. It is not something you are going to be over in a week, so you have to be patient on that matter. Anything over 2 months is when you have the right to start getting frustrated.The pre-workout stuff did not trigger it. This is not a trigger-thing. Essentially, your left inguinal vein gets cut off by other bigger arteries, which causes blood to back-flow and be trapped in your testicle. 10-15% of men get this, and it is just random.You need to do research before you start flipping out and getting angry. I am frustrated because I have been dealing with this post-op for almost two and a half months, against what normally happens.The operation is not going to make it worse. Use heat compresses to help the thrombosed veins deharden. Research.

That's what I'm trying to do) And from what i heard embolization's supposed to help a lot sooner compared to the surgery, but apparently not, just saying.. I'm not really flipping out, just trying to be descriptive in a way)) But thanks though, good luck with this)

if I have to get a surgery, I rather choose microscopic as it is more precise and re-occurrence rate is low as 1%. i rather rest for 90 months before going to gym and recover than suffering from embolization.

I would recommend varicocele embolization over the surgical approach. I wish I would've done it the first time around. I am still in pain to this day and am waiting on a referral to another doctor. I'll try my best to keep you all updated.

Correct. If it does become a problem I recommend the embolization study.

I'm 24, married, I started having really painful varicocele pain a year ago, I was laying down all the time - the pain was really bad. It started to get better in about 3-4 months but still the pain existed; I got embolization done about 5 months after I had pain- that was 7 months ago. It helped, I hadn't noticed pain in 7 months - thank God, however three days ago I had some really bad varicocele pain again, praying to God it goes away. The pain is devastating and crushing at all at times; spent all day yesterday laying down didnt really help that much. 

Take them out surgically laparoscopic By agood general surgery doctor or a good urologist.... Most likely urology is p***y and they will refer u to pain managment & u will keep on suffering Search for agood laparoscopic general surgery doctor and convens him to take at least the on in ur groin by the same aproach of laparoscopic hernia repair I was operated to take the left groin f*****g coils They just grasp them out & pull them without injuring the artery ....very easy ....plan for the right But the issue the coils in the back I still dont know How to take them out yet but nothing is impossible you just need to have a good surguon welling to explore and help ... everyone I am 29 y I am a resident doctor in University Hospital I had a varicocele Embolisation 7 months ago They told me its very simple & easy & painless & you will not feel any thing at all after one month !!!! I did it And it was the most painful 7 months in my life After the embolisation I had a sever inguinal pain that doesnt go ....I was on pain killer all the time Until I decided that I cant live like this anymore and started my tough journey first I went to the useless urologist & the Radiologist who got me into this thing There response was it happens sometimes !!!!!! To have pain after embolisation & it might not go away at all !!!!! & told me to see pain specialist. ..!!! Just like that .. Why the hell they didnt tell me that before ????? I really hate the day that I did it It changes my life ......no jim ....painful ejaculation.... Discomfort in the back & groin all the time ....I cant where tight belt ....for 7 months .... What kind of life is this ??? Any how I went to many general surgey doctors who was really scared to touch the coils or the area Until I found one brave excellent general surgery fellow who understood my pain & decided to help me and to operate one me to take out at least the groin coils at first step ..... And within a week I did ct scan & he putted a plan to take the left groin coils first & leave the left back & right side coils later .... I had a laparoscopic left groin coils removal feel one month ago ....& know i much better now .... Right side still ach ....with plan to take them after seeing the result in the left because it have never done before I am telling u its worth it ...... It might be the solution for all who is suffering pain from these dam coils for ever

Can't understand a f*****g thing you write.